Why is the Plus 2 so undervalued?

PostPost by: SAKO » Fri May 11, 2012 9:40 am

A mint late model Elite with Excel running gear would also tick a lot of boxes, and nobody appears to like them either. :shock:

Perhaps I watched too much Gerry Anderson as a child.
Sako.

1972 Lotus Elan +2S 130/5
SAKO
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Fri May 11, 2012 10:30 am

lets just keep "baby" out of the converstaion.....
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Fri May 11, 2012 10:31 am

nb - Alan - sorry if you spilt the coffee......
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Fri May 11, 2012 11:18 am

Salut

Yep, the Excels and Elites are tempting, too and are incredibly cheap. If I had more garage space I would be tempted - not to mention the Esprit, though Chris Evans has probably increased their street value.

Maybe it's a case of 'significance' or competition status in their era. Unfortunately, IMHO, the plus 2 has neither - and I am a happy +2 owner. Sure, people have entered them in track events and hill-climbs but I'll stand corrected if there have been high-profile successes.

The Excel, Elite and Esprit fall in the same category, except for the Esprit S1 made famous/'significant' by James B.

Then there is the nostalgia factor enjoyed by the lesser MGs and Triumphs (and others) which reflects in the prices they command.

Despite looking Italian and having good performance, my/our +2s just don't have 'significance', competition wins nor (general public) nostalgia. Also owning up to having just 1600cc under the bonnet can be embarrassing requiring defending the TC merits - perhaps impressions and prices would be different if there was a V8/12 or three litres plus.

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: SAKO » Fri May 11, 2012 11:45 am

Also owning up to having just 1600cc under the bonnet can be embarrassing requiring defending the TC merits - perhaps impressions and prices would be different if there was a V8/12 or three litres plus.

True I feel, in the case of all Lotus. Even contemporary sporting Triumphs boasted 6 cylinder units, as did the Reliants, and even the MGB eventually boasted 8 in top spec. This will always count against any Elan or Europa. It justs adds an extra Je ne sais quoi .

When Chapman choose to go 'upmarket' with the launch of the Elite and Eclat, virtually every other exotic 2+2 GT from the Italians, Germans and even from the likes of Jaguar, used 6/8/12 cylinder engines.

Badge snobbery aside, in the world of exclusive 1970's wedges, an Elite/Eclat could never seriously be expected as a rival to an otherwise similar Dino 308 GT4 or a Khamsin, each with a glorious quad cam v8 bubbling away. Yes admittedly they were cheaper than the Italian wedges, but the aforementioned are now worth five to ten times the value of even the best Elite, and you don't have to be a mathematician to work out the better investment. :wink:

Not having an engine to match the looks will always play against their standing in the classic car world. Even a modern Elise has a truly naff engine compared to a rival Boxster, and I think the V8 Esprits are held in higher esteem, both financially and critically, to the 2.2s.
Sako.

SAKO
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: mark030358 » Fri May 11, 2012 12:06 pm

In response... I think the Europa is a stunningly good looking car in either S1, S2 or Twincam guises. I owned one of each type and would do so again... A car WAY ahead of its time. Just FANTASTIC!!

MArk

73 Sprint
69 S4
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Fri May 11, 2012 12:10 pm

Fair point about engine size/configuration - perhaps Chunky should have gone for the SP250 engine in the +2 after all :?

This does not seem to affect the 4 cylinder Alfas tho :?:
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri May 11, 2012 12:11 pm

mark030358 wrote:In response... I think the Europa is a stunningly good looking car in either S1, S2 or Twincam guises. I owned one of each type and would do so again... A car WAY ahead of its time. Just FANTASTIC!!

MArk

73 Sprint
69 S4

My wife thinks they look like delivery vans :wink: I'm banned from owning or considering owning one.

Although my wife's opinion is often overruled by me I will respect this one as my personal opinion is they are as ugly as sin from the back end :twisted:

Alan
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Fri May 11, 2012 12:31 pm

happy wife, happy life Alan ....
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: cal44 » Fri May 11, 2012 12:58 pm

Funny you guys bring up lack of engine. Growing up in America where the V8 is king I have sold my last fire breather
(Boss 302) last month. Prior too that, lots of V8's.

I've come back to four bangers (TC)..............stinkin' things are a hoot. I reckon it all depends on where you grow up and if you think the next guy has something better.

I try and keep in perspective, what was going on forty years ago. This little TC was pretty hip and happening.....still is.

If there was a V8 in a P2 it would be a heavy lump of ill handling coal..........like a period Corvette.....well, maybe not as bad as a period Corvette. I say the period Corvette should RIP but I know them well......POS.

Mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "Mad Dog" James Mattis United States Marines
cal44
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Fri May 11, 2012 2:30 pm

SAKO wrote:....
Not having an engine to match the looks will always play against their standing in the classic car world. Even a modern Elise has a truly naff engine compared to a rival Boxster, and I think the V8 Esprits are held in higher esteem, both financially and critically, to the 2.2s.

I often have kids and teenages rush up to the car when I'm filling it up at the petrol station.

"What engine's in it?"

Only to have them turn away swiftly and wander off uninterestedly when the answer is:

"A Lotus 1600, twincam...."

But hey.... 40 - 45mpg and as much poke as I need to keep me happy and legal on the public road :)

Oh! I miss my +2.....come on Engine Builder....get me my car back!!!

Am very tempted by the idea of an Elite (1970's) to go beside the Elan...

On American V8's....I still vividly remember hearing one on my first visit to the US as a teenager.

The sound still sends (good) shivers down my spine! Wow!!

But 'horses for courses'...

Peter
I is an Inginear....please excuse my speeling!
'73 +2S 130/5
Scimitar GTE for the lazy days, 3008, Some bicycles, Wife, Kids, Cats, Dogs....chickens....cluck cluck...one duck...the others flew away!
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: SAKO » Fri May 11, 2012 2:40 pm

Well Peter, I'm so glad you like the 70's Elite too.

A red S1 drove past our office last week (never seen it before, so don't know where it lurks) and my 25 year old collegue, who was brought up with a lust for 1990's turboed Japs; but who does think my +2 is 'quite cool', said the Elite was the ugliest car he'd ever seen.

He is now in the car park pushing up the daisies.
Sako.

SAKO
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Fri May 11, 2012 4:03 pm

Spyder fan wrote:My wife thinks they look like delivery vans :wink:

They were always referred to as breadvans back in the day if I recall correctly

Spyder fan wrote:.........they are as ugly as sin from the back end :twisted:
Alan

And from the front and from the side ...... :lol:

Lets be honest they're just horrible and best forgotten. Colin and Co were certainly having a bad day when they decided to go for it :shock:
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Fri May 11, 2012 4:11 pm

SAKO wrote:........Don't own a baby Elan, don't want a baby Elan.........

free-parking-f19/baby-elan-not-here-please-t24806.html

Smithers ....... Release the Hounds :twisted:
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Fri May 11, 2012 4:22 pm

nebogipfel wrote:
Spyder fan wrote:My wife thinks they look like delivery vans :wink:

They were always referred to as breadvans back in the day if I recall correctly

Spyder fan wrote:.........they are as ugly as sin from the back end :twisted:
Alan

And from the front and from the side ...... :lol:

Lets be honest they're just horrible and best forgotten. Colin and Co were certainly having a bad day when they decided to go for it :shock:

Oh, I can't let that go without a reply.....

In 2005 when we moved to Lincolnshire I had a guy transport both our Elan (S3) and Europa TC down here. He mainly transported classics around the country and one thing I do remember is his comment "you know, when I had your Europa on the back I kept getting cars coming past & slowing for a look, but nobody seemed to bother with the Elan, strange that they seem more popular, isn't it ?".

Y'know I can never understand why the Europa isn't more expensive than the Elans, either the 2 seaters or +2's. Mid engined, styling like nothing else on the roads and they look fast just standing still...... the fastest breadvan you'll ever see.... :wink:

Brian
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: