Plus 2 newbie needs advice from old hands!

PostPost by: Jonners » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:17 am

Thanks All. I very much appreciate the advice and has given me a good direction to head in. I think my electrical skills are a bit too minimal to understand how to install a relay in the headlight circuit but good to know that usually helps...
Not keeping the car where I live has meant I have only had a couple of hours with her since she became ill. I wiukd like to fix the ignition system in original set up if poss (at least for short term) but the rough running that started in the rain is bugging me. The distributor cap is fine and have given it a bit of a clean.... No difference.. I was lying in bed wondering what impact the rain could have had that would continue to cause problems after she had dried out.... And it dawned on me that water in the fuel tank might exhibit these symptoms?? Anyone any experience if this?
The seal around the fuel cap and the body has perished, but this is only to seal the boot ins't it? How else could water get in..... And what is the best way to sort it?

Thanks
Jonathan
Jonners
New-tral

PostPost by: pauljones » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:56 am

Jonathon,

Goto site http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/ and down load the cat,on page 90 cat no #WIRKIT, It shows what you need and how to do it.Thats what im thinking of using,

Paul
Kick the tyres and light them fires...!!!!!!!
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Jonners » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:20 pm

Thanks paul.
Jonners
New-tral

PostPost by: alaric » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:50 pm

Hi Jonathan, welcome to elan ownership. I have the same model as your car but bought in boxes it's still in the garage not far from completion. All good fun...

Anyway in renovating my car I've come across one or two things that may be problematical for you. I think the suspension bushes and possibly wheel bearings should be replaced after about 30k, so if yours are original the loose diff as suggested above, and the wandering at speed, may simply be due to the need to sort out the suspension as would be done as a standard sevice requirement.

Another thought. The brakes on my car are single circuit. The seal in the master cylinder is an o ring seal, and if dirty may cause failure. So if the car's old and not been serviced, then there may be some dirt in the master cylinder from corrosion of the internals of the master cylinder. It may not be an issue on your car, but would be worth a quick check.

Have fun with it. At least you can drive yours :). Actually I can drive mine too but there are no seats, the fuel tank isn't fixed in.... and so on.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:39 am

pauljones915 wrote:Johnathon,

I think the ignition will benifit from an upgrade,mine now has an Aldon Ignitor 2 with Flame Thrower coil.I also run 8mm ignition leads and Bosche super 4's.You will not get a bigger spark and its good in bad weather too.A straight swap,simple.For Q2,I can only suggest to change the origonal fuse box,if thats what you have,to the newer blade fuse box.Much better reliability.I had similar problems,and that cured it.
Enjoy the experience.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

I was under the impression that you couldn't use high output coils with electronic ignitions.

Ages ago, when I thought I had a spark problem, I bought a Lucas Sport coil, but never fitted it because of my Lumenition Ignition.

Will the Sport Coil work with my ignition?

Thnaks in advance,
Peter
I is an Inginear....please excuse my speeling!
'73 +2S 130/5
Scimitar GTE for the lazy days, 3008, Some bicycles, Wife, Kids, Cats, Dogs....chickens....cluck cluck...one duck...the others flew away!
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: