+2 prices.

PostPost by: Greenfort » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:50 pm

I?m looking for a +2 but I?m not sure about the price. When I look in magazine price guides they list them at a price that doesn?t correspond with what I see in the adds.
I?d like a fairly good example that doesn?t have to be imaculate. I can live with some minor deficiencies and scratches, but would like a solid runner.
What should I expect to pay???

Hope someone will take the time to answer me ;-)

Cheers
Greenfort
Greenfort
New-tral

PostPost by: blueseamonkey » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:02 pm

Hi Greenfort
Where are you looking, UK, USA or elsewhere?
In the UK it depends partly on whether you want dealer back up or not. Overall it sounds like you are after something similar to what I was, not the pristine, restored at great expense, almost concours examples, and not the complete basket cases needing total restoration either. Unfortunately there's not all that many cars inbetween (or at least, not that come up for sale)

I paid ?3500 for mine a few months ago, although I think it was probably worth a fair bit more, and have seen similar cars priced around the ?5000 area. For that amount of cash you should expect something that runs, has reasonable bodywork, and no major jobs that need doing (esp replacement chassis, respray or engine rebuild - all costly) However, you should leave some of your budget for fixing things that go wrong, as they invariably will, even if the problem hasn't been noted previously.

You will probably also not get a totally original example for that sum, unless its in poor condition, so expect a variety of previous owner modifications (read: bodges :? ) Some of these will be good, and enable the car to work better, others will leave you wondering what on earth the PO was thinking. So my guess at a fair price for a fair-good condition +2, in the UK, with a few niggles, would be ?4000-7000 varying depending on the exact condition. (Anyone else have different ideas??)

I don't want to put you off though. I've had my fair share of problems, and my car is far from perfect, but it is so much fun! Nothing else I've driven has ever come close to the +2 in terms of sheer driving enjoyment.
Good luck!!! Also try to find someone who knows the cars to look at any you find if you're serious about buying...
Rick
blueseamonkey
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:29 pm

I agree with the ?5000 budget for a reasonable and usable car in the UK. You should add another 1/3 if you buy from a dealer...

Mine cost that, although I was quite specific about the spec - it had to be tax-exempt (i.e. manufactured pre-1973) and be a 5-speed (only introduced towards the end of 1972). I wanted a replacement chassis (although it was done 25 years ago !) and the simpler electrical system (i.e. 1 fuse box) of the later models, and prefered alloy wheels and no sun roof (although I didn't get that !). This limited my market and meant that when I saw what fitted the spec, the heart took over and I was not too pushy on the price...

I watched the prices in magazines and on the internet for several months, viewing a few along the way - the more you see, the better idea you get of what you do and more importantly don't want.

However, I do have a usable family car which has done 2 years of shows & other (non-competitive) events, has not left me stranded, and is slowly developing into the ideal I had in mind.

You do have to be prepared to tackle unforseen problems - it is amazing what others are prepared to put up with.... It would probably have been better to go for a car in regular use - mine had done only a handful of miles for the previous few years, with the associated garage bills that go with it (sticking brakes & clutch, etc.) !

I have now eliminated the dangerous level of bump steer (incorrect steering rack shimming), brakes that lock on (servo spring mod), loose wheels, dodgy remould tyres (why do people do that ?!), and disintegrating sun roof. I still face worn out rear dampers (this winter's job), a dodgy cylinder head casting that has resulted in several cracks, spark plug inserts that come out with the plugs, and vibration at 'speed'.... A young family means that time is the greatest problem....

For me, the enjoyment is in using it - the jobs just have to wait if they're not too urgent !

Good hunting !!
Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:33 am

Where in the world you are determines the price of a +2. Starting at $4500 USD in the USA for a driver. Does anyone know of a cheaper market? This +2 topic has been discussed recently, check the archives for historical content.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:40 am

Hi

You can certainly buy a good car for ?5000 in the UK, maybe up to ?1000 less than that if you are lucky. You can also get some cars that need a lot of work at the same price so take care.

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Dave_Newcastle » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:53 am

I agree with thrust of the comments made by colleagues above that you should be able to get a nice well maintained runner for about ?5000- ?6000 privately. There are enough for sale at any one time to find cars in that range, but it can be difficult to sort out the duffers from the sound ones without thorough checks. The costs of putting a poor car to a satisfactory condition is high, and time consuming and even higher if you need to pay someone else to do it for you, and it wont look much different to when you bought it, ie it will be dificult to recoup all the moneys you spend in a shorter term. However it is likely that you would enjoy the car so much that it would be a long term car for you - ive had mine nearly ten years. The very very best cars - though not up for sale that often will not be much more than ?10K ie only ?4K more so I think it is a very narrow price band from average car average price to top car/ top price.

My advice (but who says i am right?) would be to look at a range of cars from scruffy to top cars to see the whole market, before deciding the quality/price of car you want to go for.

Dave
Dave_Newcastle
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Greenfort » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:09 pm

Thx for all the good replies.

You?ve made me very keen to go look for one as the prices seems to be fair.

Looks like I?ll have to go to the UK soon to snatch me one ;-)

Att: Blueseamonkey

You havn?t put me off. I?m used to all sorts of strange things happening around cars. My Maserati Spyder is giving me some real scares from time to time but that?s all part of the obsesion I think..;-)
Greenfort
New-tral

PostPost by: wparslow » Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:11 pm

I paid 17 Grand (Sterling) for mine - am I mental!?
wparslow
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:29 pm

Yes

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: M100 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:35 pm

wparslow wrote:I paid 17 Grand (Sterling) for mine - am I mental!?

yes, for that much you could have bought a good Sprint and a basket case +2 for spares

:wink:
Martin
72 Sprint DHC
M100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: wparslow » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:54 pm

I bought a good Sprint as well, for 23 Grand (sterling). Bodywork being redone will be on road in 3-4 weeks.
wparslow
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:05 pm

Hope the bodywork & paint were FOC, and that you were given a really good courtesy car.

As our friends from over the water might say:

"shocked and awed".

Regards.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: wparslow » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:19 pm

Yup, bodywork, paint, trim etc were included in the price. previous owner spent 20 grand with QED and TTR turning into almost a 26R underneath. car wll be Lagoon Bluue over White Gold Leaf when done and I can't wait!!!!
wparslow
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:18 pm

there is one on the Calgary vintage sports car club site for 8500 cdn ----ed :shock: [I have no interest etc etc usual disclaimer B.S.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: