Got some money - now need a car!

PostPost by: barleymagrew » Mon May 16, 2011 2:32 pm

Hi Guys,
I'm an absolute newbie on here so all help gratefully received. After many years I'm now in the position to buy a Plus 2. I've started looking and have found the prices all over the place. I've really got no idea how to value the cars. Are they going up in price? - or are some owners wishful thinkers. Please help.
barleymagrew
New-tral

PostPost by: slimromeo » Mon May 16, 2011 2:43 pm

ive found that you pretty much get what you pay for, just make sure you don't rush into things as there are plenty of cars out there. The guys on this forum really do know there stuff so if you see a car and are unsure they are usually quite good at pointing you in the right direction. hope you it goes well and enjoy your search.
slimromeo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: barleymagrew » Mon May 16, 2011 2:58 pm

Hi there,
Thanks for that. What I'm unsure of really is what to pay? I'm looking for something thats tidy and useable. Not show winning but something I can use (and take my lad out in) and have some fun. What should I be looking to pay?
barleymagrew
New-tral

PostPost by: rocket » Mon May 16, 2011 3:19 pm

Theres a question...i think anywhere from 5k to 7k for a useable reasonably tidy example,for this you should get a reliable runner with tidy paint, tho far from perfect.I wouldnt think you can get much for less than 5k but obviously the more you spend the better the car shoud be.

Good luck and as already pointed out take your time, there a few rough examples you need to beware of.

Ian.
rocket
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: barleymagrew » Mon May 16, 2011 3:23 pm

Well thats good to know.
About ?8k is my target budget. If you know of any good ones for that price, please let me know.
Are there any decent books/literature to read up on about what to look for etc?
barleymagrew
New-tral

PostPost by: slimromeo » Mon May 16, 2011 3:35 pm

There is so much information on what to prioritise on when looking to buy a +2 if you take a look through the archives on this forum. i remember reading that bodywork is the biggest expense but i maybe wrong
slimromeo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Mon May 16, 2011 4:55 pm

hi barley & welcome ...
I guess your local lotus club might be useful . there are lots of monthly meetings in pubs etc. what's your location?
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Mon May 16, 2011 5:57 pm

Probably the most important thing is that the chassis and sill rails have been replaced with galvanised - if this lot rots through you will be into a lot of money. You can probably live with less than perfect paint and some mechanical faults or work that needs doing.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jonnyconcrete » Mon May 16, 2011 6:51 pm

barleymagrew wrote:Well thats good to know.
About ?8k is my target budget. If you know of any good ones for that price, please let me know.
Are there any decent books/literature to read up on about what to look for etc?

Hi Barley, where are you based? You're welcome to come around and view mine, I'll tell you what I paid and what I've spent in the last 12 months and you can then go make your own comparisons.

Club Lotus meets are also pretty friendly, there's a list of meets on their web site. And, when you do make the leap, have no fear about the unknown. I haven't had a question yet, no matter how nerdy or techy, that the guys on here haven't answered within 2 hours!!
jonnyconcrete
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: barleymagrew » Mon May 16, 2011 8:00 pm

Hi Johnnyconcrete,
That's very kind of you. That would be really. Useful. I'm in warwickshire, but am all over with work. Whereabouts are you?
barleymagrew
New-tral

PostPost by: jonnyconcrete » Mon May 16, 2011 8:39 pm

barleymagrew wrote:Hi Johnnyconcrete,
That's very kind of you. That would be really. Useful. I'm in warwickshire, but am all over with work. Whereabouts are you?

I've sent you a PM, we're pretty close.
jonnyconcrete
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Mon May 16, 2011 9:01 pm

Hi

This is how I see +2 prices:

1. Under ?3k and you are buying a twincam engine and a box of parts.
2. ?3k to ?8k is a usable car that needs work.
3. ?8k and ?10k you should be buying a pretty good usable car that has had work done but probably needs paintwork.
4. ?10k to ?15k is a fully restored car.
5. Anything over ?15k would have to be a prize winner.

I know the second band is very wide but it is difficult to price a lot of the cars on Ebay. If you look on Ebay at the moment you are looking at about ?7k to ?9k for a good car, if you wait until summer is over these prices will be more like ?5k to ?7k. Anything under ?5k will need a lot of work to keep on the road. My advice would be spend as much as you can on a car that has been looked after and used a lot, the best way to keep these cars in a good condition is to use them and take someone who has one of these cars along when you look at it.

I think Matt is around your way (well 1 hour away): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUcI8YdeAP4

He used to post on here but has lots of other Lotus interest now, PM him on:

matt-u2777.html

Jason
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Kerryt333 » Mon May 16, 2011 11:53 pm

Hi Barleymagrew,
I posted my +2S130 on the forum in April for sale, & I put it in the 8-10k bracket.I have done a lot of mechanical work on it over 4 years of ownership. It does drive very well & hasn't got much at all that needs attending to.
It is very difficult when trying to spend a reasonable amount of money on a 40 year old car,which do have their well known expensive faults, & you will be wise to listen to owners on the forum.
You are quite welcome to contact me if your work brings you to Dorset, & come & see my car, & drive it to compare to others that you might view.
Regards
John
Kerryt333
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Tue May 17, 2011 8:26 am

On Ebay at the moment:

1. Nice looking car at ?9k http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1968-Lotus-Elan-2 ... 500wt_1156

2. Fully restored ?13.6k and still bidding http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FULLY-RESTORED-CL ... 500wt_1156

3. Not been run for years so going to need work at ?8k http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LOTUS-ELAN-2-2-CH ... 500wt_1156

4. 95% complete refurb at ?6k reserve not met but also on as a classified for ?10k http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1972-LOTUS-ELAN-2 ... 610wt_1139

I tend not to look at the below ?3k or the classified ads. I think the best looking car is the early yellow one number 1 but it is hard to judge the condition without seeing the paintwork and hearing it run.

Good luck

Jason
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Tue May 17, 2011 8:34 am

jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: