Chassis number

PostPost by: michael berg » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:47 pm

Hi fellow Lotus men ,

I hope you can help me regarding the chassis number on my 1971 Elan+2 .
It has a rather strange number : 7100000516L . Do?s anyone know anything about this chassis number .Or where I can obtain more information on this .

It is fitted with 130 engine and a 4speed gearbox . PO did fit a 5 speed box . It is brown metalic and has not bee painted since it was fabricated in 1971 .

Kind Regards
Michael Berg ,denmark
michael berg
New-tral

PostPost by: oldelanman » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:00 am

Hi Michael,

Welcome to the forum.

Have a look here......http://www.lotuselan.net/publish/car_type_by_vin.shtml.......explains how to interpret the chassis number.

Regards,
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:17 am

Michael

Welcome. Your VIN is unusual since it lacks the month and batch numbers - the 71 represents the year, next two numbers the month, next two the batch (1970 & 71 only) followed by the unit number and type letter.

The VINs with no month or batch allocation seem peculiar to a short period in late 1971. For the Sprint, only a small number of Federal cars had the 7100000### allocation on the VIN plate. However this was supplemented by an additional small plate on the door opening which usually had the month of manufacture printed on it.

The L at the end of your VIN indicates that this was a +2S Domestic car. Other +2s in the 05## range were manufactured between July and December 1971. If you write to Andy Graham, the factory archivist, he may have additional information on your car.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: michael berg » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:45 pm

THANK YOU for a quick response

I have emailed Andy Graham at Lotus and hope to hear from him soon .
I will poste his feedback when I recive it .

Regards
Michael Berg ,Denmark
michael berg
New-tral

Total Online: