Loose nuts

PostPost by: Thornts » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:01 am

Just a though I had today: my car like many others has suffered from loose wheel spinners and consequent ovaling of the peg drive holes. It dawned on me this morning that knowing my originally UK car spent some time in the USA that driving on the "wrong" side of the road would of course move the offside wheels to the nearside and vica versa consequently causing the wheel spinners to loosen rather than self tighten. I suggest that all owners whose cars have crossed over to the other side check the state of their spinners as a matter of urgency.

Rob

S3 FHC
S4 FHC
7 S2
Thornts
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jono » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:33 am

Rob,

I believe that RD Enterpises do an opposite thread hub conversion kit for the non UK market which can overcome this problem.

Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:40 am

xxxx

John :wink:
Last edited by john.p.clegg on Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:45 am

Off topic, but another problem regularly encountered on imports is the fitment of a LHD gearbox, 1st is where 3rd should be 4th is where 2nd should be and reverse is anyones guess especially if it's a 5 speed box.

You really need to look out for these problems with the exported cars.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:46 am

are you sure it's the 1st April today?
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:46 am

In my experience left hand drive countries tend not to drive everywhere in reverse gear.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:57 am

Thornts wrote:Just a though I had today: my car like many others has suffered from loose wheel spinners and consequent ovaling of the peg drive holes. It dawned on me this morning that knowing my originally UK car spent some time in the USA that driving on the "wrong" side of the road would of course move the offside wheels to the nearside and vica versa consequently causing the wheel spinners to loosen rather than self tighten. I suggest that all owners whose cars have crossed over to the other side check the state of their spinners as a matter of urgency.

Rob

S3 FHC
S4 FHC
7 S2

Oh dear, what a thought!
That could also be the case for cars in Europe as well.
Could something similar happen when the north & south poles swap positions?
What a horror scenario!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MickG » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:07 am

Best April Fool's Ive come across so far :lol:
MickG
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:21 am

Mick

You need to see the evidence to support Rob's loose nuts. If you go to page 07.70 of the factory Parts List, you'll see Plate Ref No GA 5, Part No CO36 G 0007 Wheel Spinner, All except UK. However, you do also have to take note of what it says on page 01.04 and I think that's the important part that Rob forgot to mention in his acute observation.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:49 am

trw99 wrote:Mick

You need to see the evidence to support Rob's loose nuts. If you go to page 07.70 of the factory Parts List, you'll see Plate Ref No GA 5, Part No CO36 G 0007 Wheel Spinner, All except UK. However, you do also have to take note of what it says on page 01.04 and I think that's the important part that Rob forgot to mention in his acute observation.

Tim

0007 = Licenced to kill; not an insignificant designation, considering the dire message contained in this thread.

Just applied a bit of lateral thinking & want to suggest that owners of those cars move the hubs & nuts from the right side of the car to the left side of the car.
Just a thought & no doubt someone will knock me down in flames.

John

PS Ooops 12:48 disregard that idea!
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Thornts » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:35 am

Been out to the garage to give mine a quick tighten and would you believe it, the head is on the wrong end of my hammer. Anyone outside the UK with the same problem like to do a swap?

Rob

S3
S4
7 S2
Thornts
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:29 pm

Yes but Bob, I couldn't find let alone check my hammer due to all the left hand screwdrivers getting in the way.

Cheers

Gerry
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:44 pm

gerrym wrote:Yes but Bob, I couldn't find let alone check my hammer due to all the left hand screwdrivers getting in the way.

Cheers

Gerry

I'd give my right arm for a left handed screwdriver.
Yes I am keggyhanded, which of course makes driving in Europe much easier.

Yesterday I tried eating spaghetti with a right handed fork, bloody impossible
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:05 pm

How did this thread start in the +2 section? I request that it be moved to the Things Not In Common section.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Thornts » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:58 pm

Sorry, my ineptitude to start with. Can anyone shift it to TIC? Thanks.

Rob

S3
S4
7 S2
Thornts
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: