How many convertibles

PostPost by: elanchap » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:15 am

Didi, very impressive restoration record on FB! Where did you purchase the body bracing for the convertible conversion? Or did you make them?

Thanks!
elanchap
New-tral

PostPost by: Didi » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:07 pm

Thx, Elanchap, but .. sorry for the question ... (my English is not so good :oops: ) what is a "body bracing" ?
--------------Greetz, Didier -------------The destination is irrelevant, when the journey is in a Lotus![/list]
Didi
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: elanchap » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:04 pm

Hello Didi,

I was referring to the metal reinforcing that you installed in your Facebook pictures 63 - 68, needed to stiffen the body due. I have a body spare +2 and was considering taking off the roof to make it a convertible. I would need the same type of reinforcement and I was wondering if you purchased those pieces of steel or did you fabricate them yourself? I looked on the Christopher Neil website and didn't see any for sale.

Regards,

Elanchap
elanchap
New-tral

PostPost by: kstrutt11 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:45 pm

Christopher Niel used 3 steel bars bundled together around the windscreen frame, these then splay out like a bird's foot at the base and are laminated into the bodyshell, even when I did mine 15 years ago they did not list these parts, it appears they were just bent up to suit each vehicle, I followed suit.

Kevin
kstrutt11
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: axbel » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:40 pm

Hi,
I have a 1968 Lotus Elan Plus 2 (CN)convertible.
It is RHD,red with BBS split rims.I have owned it since 2002.I believe it has the original hood arrangement but I never use it(dry weather motoring only).
As far as I knew a few years ago there was only one other one(white) in France.I was very surprised to read that there are now supposedly 6 as reported on your site.
It's a unique car.What else is a REAL open 2+2 sports car?It's a real head turner and so much more beautiful than the baby Elan.In my opinion all Plus 2s are underpriced but they are appreciating.
Happy motoring!
Alex
Attachments
CIMG0590.JPG
CIMG0590.JPG (68.65 KiB) Viewed 3392 times
CIMG0589-001.JPG
CIMG0589-001.JPG (41.99 KiB) Viewed 3393 times
Picture 264.jpg
Picture 264.jpg (68.13 KiB) Viewed 3393 times
Last edited by axbel on Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
axbel
New-tral

PostPost by: Didi » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:51 pm

axbel wrote:... It's a unique car.What else is a REAL open 2+2 sports car?It's a real head turner and so much more beautiful than the baby Elan ...
I agree :D
--------------Greetz, Didier -------------The destination is irrelevant, when the journey is in a Lotus![/list]
Didi
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: ohartmanno » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:27 am

I?m looking for a nice +2 convertible.
Can anybody help - would be very thankful!

Regards, Oliver
[email protected]
ohartmanno
New-tral

PostPost by: Didi » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:48 pm

Hi Oliver,

There is one in the Netherlands : TARGET CARS BV
Didi
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Didi » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:38 pm

elanchap wrote:Hello Didi,

I was referring to the metal reinforcing that you installed in your Facebook pictures 63 - 68, needed to stiffen the body due. I have a body spare +2 and was considering taking off the roof to make it a convertible. I would need the same type of reinforcement and I was wondering if you purchased those pieces of steel or did you fabricate them yourself? I looked on the Christopher Neil website and didn't see any for sale.

Regards,

Elanchap

@elanchap
First, sorry for my very late answer.
For one or other raison I forgot it :oops:
I make the reinforcement for the frames by my self.
First I make a model in carton, then in metal.
I make the reinforcement, because the front screen frame pushed against the door frames at high speed and I have small cracks below in the corner from the window frame.
Original, there is a tube as you can see, if you look carefully, on this and this picture.
Sorry, I have no better pictures.
Didi
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:40 pm

Salut

With owners permission, who are the six in France?

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:34 pm

I have not seen any +2 convertibles in the U.S.. All I have seen have been photos on the internet and RHD cars.

Are there any LHD +2 convertibles? I would think mostly in Europe.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 612kiwi3333 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:08 pm

There is a LHD convertible in Wisconsin. I am surprised he has not spoke up as he is on this forum. He had it shipped here a couple years ago.
Mike
612kiwi3333
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:47 pm

The one in Wisconsin is RHD, I believe. There is a LHD one from Canada that came down for the LOG in Gettysburg the other year. I believe he did the conversion himself. Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:37 pm

hi Vernon,
are you happy with your +2 convertible that you bought from Paul Matty :mrgreen:
Do you find that the body twists when driving it now you have owned it since last summer.
Do you have any problems with the fuel tank breather :?: I understand this can be a problem on convertibles with petrol leaks :!:
What's your honest opinion and comments :?:
Alan B
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:48 pm

Salut Alain

Yes, I am happy with my +2 convertible.

As for body twisting I'm not experienced enough to answer that. All I can say is that I haven't experienced any funny stuff whilst driving, and it's too new a toy to have taken corners with the back sliding out. Wife wouldn't like that. I did manage to make the back break away the other day by really jerking the wheel, but before I could react it was back in line.

It may be, and it would be logical, that the body flexes more when jacking.

My car was converted around 2007 but a guy that worked at CN for fifteen years doing just that - he converted and restored the car for himself. He told me that he had put Spyder sills which he considered better/stiffer than Lotus items. He also said he had gone to extra trouble with windscreen stiffening using 6mm bar. According to him lesser conversions have windscreen pillars that give/flex when installing the hood leading to the upper parts of the door touching the pillars.

I had petrol smells from a normal +2 I had, so when I installed rear seat belts (here: elan-plus-f13/rear-seat-belts-t14067-30.html ) I also did the petrol breather mod (here: elan-plus-f13/fuel-breather-mods-t23356-15.html ).

Other than that just a couple of usual niggles: replaced alternator at PM's cost, Kenlowe electronic module at their cost, right-angle drive at mine, and heater still to sort.

I'll be in Anncey - if you go we can meet up; and of course if you're in the area look me up ;-)

Might have another opinion about convertibles after this weekend - should be seeing a bloke who's restoring one.

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: