18 Months Work (more piccies)

PostPost by: jono » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:03 pm

Thanks for all your comments chaps,

For those enquiring as to the 'twinnie' engine configuration (nice thought 8), the secret is revealed - it belongs to the JPS appearing in one of the later pictures posted below (acquired from Mark Kempson). That car is next in line for the treatment but will be an 'as it left the factory' restoration rather than a mechanically improved version as with the current project - the JPS engine is now fully rebuilt and resplendent in 'Lotus Grey'.

Frank - nice thought about the shell but the Royal Blue paint had to go - it is original colour but I just don't like it and with 16 coats (!) revealed by stripping I thought it was time to take her back to glass and do it properly. It will be Wedgwood Blue, not the right colour for a 1970 car but I think it will look great. The aim is to have 2 cars, one with a nod to the 60's and the other 'high 1970's' (without the flairs and kipper ties :mrgreen: )

The Webasto also had to go so the roof has been chopped off and a second hand one grafted in (thanks to Mark Kempson again!). The PO has grafted a tin panel into the old webasto hole and glassed it over. When my bodyshop man took it out the whole shell sprang back into shape and all the shut lines improved 100%

An interesting observation is how much thicker the glass is on older cars - the JPS is wafer thin in places and can easily be deflected by light hand pressure whereas the earlier car is very much thicker and more substantial - it cannot be deflected in the same way eve with very firm pressure.

I will post fruther pics as the project moves on - hoepfully the next ones will show the newly restored shell re uinited with the chassis.

Cheers

Jon
Attachments
1.JPG and
2.JPG and
3.JPG and
4.JPG and
5.JPG and
6.JPG and
7.JPG and
After.JPG and
Before.JPG and
Last edited by jono on Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:39 pm

Jon,

You've done such a nice job, I almost hate to see you cover all your work up with a shell but I do have some good news for you. Your shell has been painted and delivered to your garage. You should be able to find it somewhere in the vicinity of your chassis. :wink:
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bob_rich » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:55 pm

Hi Jon

very nice! U R about where I was at the beginning of december (2010) when I dropped my body back on. There R a couple of others on this site around this build level. 2011 could C a few more +2's back on the road. Useful to know there will be others sweating over similar problems!

all the best

Bob
bob_rich
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: leifanten » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:20 pm

Looks very sweet! Well done!

PS. Are you sure you got enough bicycles? :D :D
Leif
1968 +2 Wedgewood blue
Houston, TX
leifanten
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: p.faurie » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:37 pm

hi jono
i dont want to worry you but i think that you may have a eurpoa chassis,i dont think that twink will fit in the +2 boot,looks good though.
phil
p.faurie
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:48 pm

I like the idea of a 2nd engine going in transversely in the back; that'll be a first!
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:04 pm

NICE.....

Im kind of cheating, my plus 2 is with Miles Wilkins for a bit of a re commision. New fuel tank fitted along with a 3.54 diff and Sue Miller drive shafts. All the brakes are getting rebuilt and there's probably going to be alot of other bits and bobs that need a look at. I wish I have the time to do it myself but im in a different country to my car so it causes a bit of a problem. But anyway which ever way it happens its another lotus elan on the road and being used, Now all ill need is a respray......

Good luck guys and a happy new year to you all,

Paul
Kick the tyres and light them fires...!!!!!!!
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:06 pm

Haha I see the most important tool of all lying on the floor in front of the chassis! Keep up the good work.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:21 pm

And if it doesn't work, get a bigger one! :wink:
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:04 pm

A word of caution . When fitting the body be certain to attach the bonnet and check the clearance between the bonnet and front of engine valve cover. Shim the body accordingly to allow clearance. Don't drill and tap chassis holes until you are satisfied. Excess shimming required may be indicative of another problem such as improper engine mount installation.

Good luck. Chassis looks fine.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:01 pm

Looking great Jon. Thanks for sharing. The test setup for the wiring looks great. Did you set it up so you can run and test the engine and basic drivetrain functions prior to lowering on the body? Great idea if this is the case with all the ease of access.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:00 pm

Stu,

You're absolutely right, I did that to run up the engine and also to test the distrbutorless ignition (which incidentally works a treat).

Mind you I don't dare test the drivetrain :shock: - I think I shall have to wait until the body is on and pedal box fitted. In the menatime I will put my faith in the chap who re built my diff and gearbox.

Cheers

Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:31 pm

Jon

The minilites look great (as is the progress on teh car), are these 5.5 x 13" ? can you tell me what offset they come with please?
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:30 am

Hi Gordon,

They are 5.5" x 14". I am not sure of the offset but they are designed specifically to suit the Elan and they appeat to fit well with bags of clearance around the suspension and wishbones

I have haven't settled on a tyre size yet but may go for 175 x 65 based upon some other posts on here. I have gone down the narrow spring route and I'm not sure if they would work with std springs.

Cheers

Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:10 am

perfect, having just gone through the rigours of getting new 175/60/13 I am keen to swap to 14" KO wheels......
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Next

Total Online: