How do I get History of a Car

PostPost by: richardf » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:22 pm

I am looking at buying a +2 from a reputable dealer, but the history of the car goes back only about 4 years (it's a 1971 car). I will buy the car, as it drives very well and looks immaculate. Anyone any ideas on how I can get some of the history of this car?

Thanks

Richard
richardf
New-tral

PostPost by: sunvalleylotus » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:34 pm

I just got the former owners history of my Esprit from the DVLA.

Send a cheque for ?5 to DVLA , Longview Road , Swansea , SA99 1AJ .

They will send you a photocopy of every former owners vehicle registration document , notification of sale document and the original garage sales document.

Some might be a bit a bit hard to make out due to the age of the paperwork.But you will be able to make it out.

Look at the DVLA web page ,you can email them for details.

Just so you know it took 8 weeks for mine to arrive so dont panic if they cash your cheque and nothing comes straight away.

Good luck!
sunvalleylotus
New-tral

PostPost by: richardf » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:30 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I suppose I could then write to the previous owners to get them to let me know of any history/bills etc they have.

Thanks again

Richard
richardf
New-tral

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:47 am

How to Obtain History on an Individual Car on LotusElan.net home page could be a source. Does anyone know if there is a link to our archivist ?
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:33 pm

you give the type and chassis number (ie 50/1129 or the 70030126 number) to
[email protected]
he's the archivist at lotus and he'll tell you the original info you need...
cheers
G
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:29 pm

Hi

I have just bought a 1968 +2 but it has no chassis plate. The previous owner says to fell off. I have old MOT's and V5 so know the chassis number.

I have a question you guys may be able to answer? I seem to have 2 chassis numbers? One is the normal 50/ numbers the other is a mix of letters and numbers.

Is this normal for a 1968 +2? the normal 50/ numbers does not even appear on the V5?

Also, is the chassis plate unique to this period +2 and the europa? As there are different Norwich plates on ebay, one has space for the unit number and the engine number and the other plate has space for both of these and an extra ALT UNIT NUMBER?

If the three space plate is the correct one, which I suspect it is, which number goes where?

Thanks

Jason :?
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: flyinggellyfish » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:20 pm

Jason1 wrote:Hi

I have just bought a 1968 +2 but it has no chassis plate. The previous owner says to fell off. I have old MOT's and V5 so know the chassis number.

I have a question you guys may be able to answer? I seem to have 2 chassis numbers? One is the normal 50/ numbers the other is a mix of letters and numbers.

Is this normal for a 1968 +2? the normal 50/ numbers does not even appear on the V5?

Also, is the chassis plate unique to this period +2 and the europa? As there are different Norwich plates on ebay, one has space for the unit number and the engine number and the other plate has space for both of these and an extra ALT UNIT NUMBER?

If the three space plate is the correct one, which I suspect it is, which number goes where?

Thanks

Jason :?

Hi Jason
I also have a 68 +2 . I had the original chassis plate which was in a terrible state . I sent it off to someone years ago for a replacement and did get them back . I then lost the pair of them . I have now bought a replacement plate as you desribe with the ALT bit on . These are the later plates which were fitted after 1971 ish . I am goig to use the one with the ALT bit on . I do remember my original chassis number plate was scribed , not stamped as the post 1971 plates were .

Rick
1968 Elan +2 . Now going back together after 18 years , you just can not rush these things .<br>Rick
flyinggellyfish
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:56 pm

Thanks Rick

I now have bought both types of plate (I am addicted to ebay).

I have now contacted Spyder about the extra chassis number. They say it is only a ref number for their use and should never have been used as a chassis number???

How it got onto the V5 I will never know. Anyway if I use the plate with the Alt number on it I can put both chassis numbers on it (the Spyder number and the original one).

Lotus have confirmed the original number so I know that.

I think as it is a ally plate, scribing the numbers into it would be easier.

Thanks

Jason
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SimonH » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:09 pm

Jason,

On my 71 +2s the chassis plate is the earlier type with two boxes, for unit and engine number. The unit number is stamped on with the engine number scribed.

In the top right hand corner it has stamped on it Type 50, not in a box. I have seen this on later plates stamped in the Alt Unit Number box. I think this is how they should be filled in.

I guess they used either plate, depending what came to hand when mine was built, with the same position for the unit, engine and alt unit numbers, but I would say the two box is correct for your car with a 50/**** unit number.

I may want a new plate for mine, the two box type to keep it the same style, if I change the engine for a Zetec. So if you dont need the two box one and want to sell it let me know.

Cheers,
Simon
SimonH
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: M100 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:01 pm

Whatever you do don't tell anyone at the DVLA about a chassis change. If by some chance you have got lumped with a Spyder chassis number on the V5 and its still on regular (none "Q") number plates then be very grateful. The chances of something going seriously amiss when trying to get the original number back on the V5 are high.

The "alt" position on the plate normally just carries the type number i.e. "TYPE 50"
Martin
72 Sprint DHC
M100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:27 pm

Oop's I have written to DVLA asking for the previous V5's.

Never mind! I'm sure they will not put 2 and 2 together.

I will wait until they get back to me and then decide which plate to use.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the responses, think I will scribe the number in.

Jason
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: wparslow » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:33 pm

I found Dave Massey [email protected], John Hostler [email protected]. and Chris Brown [email protected] to be extremely helpful.
wparslow
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: