car lifting..

PostPost by: rocket » Mon May 10, 2010 1:18 pm

I have a fork lift at my disposal was thinking about adapting it to lift my car for working beneath.I could knock up a ramp type frame which could be driven onto then lifted.Was also wondering if it would be possible to just position the forks beneath car and lift useing the centre chassis ? Any views on why i shouldnt do this such as stressing frame or suspension etc?

Cheers,

Ian.
rocket
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Mon May 10, 2010 4:22 pm

Hi Ian,
For your own safety I would not recommend working under a car supported only by a fork lift, whether on a frame or directly on the forks. It would not be stable and it's far too easy for someone to knock the raise/lower lever and drop it on top of you. I would always use 4 rigid supports placed as far apart as possible when working underneath the car - it may mean you have to lay on your back but it's not worth taking risks.

Regards,
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Mon May 10, 2010 4:31 pm

On a 2-seater and I presume it is similar on a +2 trying a straight lift without some sort of configured support blockframe would flatten the exhaust pipe.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Mon May 10, 2010 6:16 pm

You would also have your rear suspension at full droop - not good for the Rotoflexes.
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: kstrutt11 » Mon May 10, 2010 6:32 pm

You could make saddles that slip over the forks then fit in the jacking points in the sills, if you made them clamp to the forks it would be pretty stable but awkward to line up. Before working on it I would suggest you make some sort of props for saftey though.
kstrutt11
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Tue May 11, 2010 7:18 pm

NO NON NO NYET NINE NEVER !!!! DO NOT work under the body :!: :!: :!: remove it and place it gently on a skid well away from your work area ------I removed mine with 2 jacks and a helper and that was hairy enough -- :roll: -ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Tue May 11, 2010 7:42 pm

Ian, I recall AlexBlack describing how he used to do exactly what you are proposing. (pretty sure it was Alex?)

Don't see what you are proposing wouldn't work provided forklift is big enough with widely spaced forks. Some well secured blocks might be required to clear the exhaust and take the load on the edges of the backbone chassis plus under the sills.

The legal/safety issues re working under a load are of course down to you.
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Tue May 11, 2010 9:18 pm

Yep, I did! I made up a system for lifting our company cars using Henley 4 ton side lift trucks with a safety support system. The truck had corner jacks which I also lowered to steady the truck prior to taking the load. This worked faultlessly for years without a single 'moment'. I will never forget my boss's face the 1st time he saw his XJ12 coupe up on the forklift.He near on had a palourie...

I could do a service on My +2 very fast with the sidelift's help and safety was not an issue. I could take all the weight off the truck's hydraulics and the 'lift' would not move. the trucks mast was locked in position. and I had supports under the forks too for a bit of belts and braces... The side lift would easily cope with the Elan but it knew it had the Jag on it right enough. I also lifted our fleet of mini's. A BMW. big fords, and various others..

Not suggesting you do this without seeing the forklift etc. Is it a front lifter? If its a good heavy machine with good capacity etc I would doubt you would have any issues but you MUST think safety 1st..

As Gerry said its entirely down to you responsibility wise etc...

Careful!! :shock: :shock:

Alex B.... 8)

PS... Palourie = hairy fit and then some!! :lol: :lol:
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rocket » Thu May 13, 2010 8:33 am

Hi all thanks for suggestions..perhaps wasnt clear that im intending only to use the truck to lift car and ramp then support ramp with posts in each corner.Truck lifts 2400 kgs so not an issue,tho would never comtemplate working under the car whilst suspended on the truck..was just after opinions on lifting the car via chassis so wheels are free to be removed when neccessary.I dont have rotoflexs so no problem with damage to them.

Ian.
rocket
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: jono » Thu May 13, 2010 9:19 am

...BMC used to service their works Minis with a coventry climax fork lift in the good old days before elf 'n' safety
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Thu May 13, 2010 10:09 am

When I changed the chassis on my S4 25+yrs ago I was lucky enough to have the use of a commercial vehicle repair shop in the evenings (my wife at the time's company was their biggest client!). We lifted the body up with two forklifts - one either side with the prongs under the sills and pushed the rolling chassis out from underneath. The body was then lowered onto some blocks and left until the new rolling chassis was ready and we could reverse the process.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: