another +2 back on the road!

PostPost by: RichC » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:46 pm

drove this Mrs out to sible hedingham to pick up the +2 from the garage & she drove it back with me following behind.
it passd MOT first time but she mentioned the brakes were a bit sharp!
a beautiful sight to follow along the winding roads. I had my windows wound down to listen in...
RichC
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:48 pm

You weren't tempted to have a sneaky drive then Rich?
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:03 pm

well i reversed it out of garage for her...
tempted but i didn't succumb...
I was pleasanly surprised how quick and efficient it is to get a tax disc at local post officw with no forms to fill...
we've taken each of the boys out in it as well this evening ... just as well i picked up a jerry can of 4 star yesterday . we've managed to get the fuel gauge down to about 1/8th full before i chickened out and added contents of gerry can,
initially they said they could still hear petrol sloshing around in the tank (good sign)...... then it went a bit quiet.
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:30 am

Ha, the petrol gauge on mine was always a worry. If you put too much in it pours out of the filler on a hard right turn and if you only half fill it you are worried that you are going to run out. I tended to put a splosh in every time I passed a petrol station.

A pic of what stopped me making Malvern attached. I'm calling it Black Beauty; it's all in the eye of the beholder.

Jason
Attachments
IMG_0031.JPG and
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:29 pm

enlighten me .......
i am curious to know
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:29 pm

enlighten me .......
i am curious to know

It's a Mini Cooper RSP see:

http://www.rsp-cooper-register.co.uk/About_the_RSP.htm

I always wanted one and was contacted by the car owner (also the keeper of the register) who said it needed a brave man and a bit of TLC. It turns out it needs a lot of TLC as most of the floor is missing and the engine and gearbox is in boxes. But a lot of the panels are in the car as the guy who was 'restoring' it got a bit overwhelmed. It only has 30k miles on the clock and the bores are like new. The +2 is nearly finished; as soon as we move house I will finish it a couple of days. The plan is to drive the +2 in the summer and the Mini in the winter. I am quite looking forward to breaking out the mig and rebuilding it; the only part I will farm out is the paintwork which will be a lot cheaper than the +2.

What about you Rich? the MG and the +2 are done have you got your eye on anything 'challenging'?

Jason
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:03 pm

the sharpness of the brakes is a bit of a problem... they come on quite suddenly even with the lightest foot pressure . the girling servo i presume is at fault, unless the 2nd hand front calipers fitted were not right?
I am thinking if the calipers came off a car without a servo they may have different pads ..... would that make the difference perhaps? i.e. pads which are more grippy for non-servo use might be over-grippy when used with servo assistance .
An easy fix would be to replace the pads but I'm just taking a wild guess again that this might be the problem.
Otherwise i've got to locate the likely issue with the girling servo.
I serviced the item myself... what could i have done wrong!?
Any bright spark out there care to shed a little light?
RichC
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: