Photo's Of Recently Completed Non Spyder Zetec Conversion

PostPost by: RichP » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:47 pm

Lotus Elan +2 with galvanised Lotus Chassis complete with 2.0L Zetec. All Drive train strengthened and complete with fully adjustable track suspension
Lotus Latest Cockpit 4.JPG and
Attachments
Lotus Elan Castlecombe 2.JPG and
lotus Elan Castlecoombe 1.jpg and
Lotus Short Engine Install.jpg and
Elan +2 Zetec Installation 2.jpg and
Lotus Latest Side 1.JPG and
Lotus latest Zetec Engine In Original Lotus Chassis.JPG and
Lotus Latest Zetec Engine Exhaust Side.JPG and
Last edited by RichP on Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:07 pm, edited 6 times in total.
RichP
New-tral

PostPost by: Old English White » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:18 am

... I have to say that it is neatly made .
Nice work .
Question ; Is that mod cheaper than having your original twincam rebuild !?! Or what were your goals !?!
Christian.
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:07 am

Hi Rich,

thanks for the Photos.
I'll try to take some of the possible Oil filter alternatives, that I've found, for the other thread soon.
Just a couple more questions:-
That Exhaust Manifold looks very much like mine; who made yours?
You appear to be using the "Raceline" Water Rail, have you noticed any Coolant temperature fluctuations?

Cheers
John

P.S. I bet you didn't expect to have to answer so many questions so soon :)
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichP » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:36 pm

Old English White wrote:... I have to say that it is neatly made .
Nice work .
Question ; Is that mod cheaper than having your original twincam rebuild !?! Or what were your goals !?!
Christian.

Hi Christian,

I think having the original twincam rebuild would have been a much simpler job but depending on final specification possibly a little more expensive.

But my reason for the engine change was to increase the cars performance and reliability with the intention of going back to the Lotus Action Day at Castle Coombe and surprise a few baby Elans after previously struggling to keep with them down the start finish straight. Although I have not had the chance to test this, I feel sure the +2 will now.

Rich
RichP
New-tral

PostPost by: RichP » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:51 pm

D.J.Pelly wrote:Hi Rich,

thanks for the Photos.
I'll try to take some of the possible Oil filter alternatives, that I've found, for the other thread soon.
Just a couple more questions:-
That Exhaust Manifold looks very much like mine; who made yours?
You appear to be using the "Raceline" Water Rail, have you noticed any Coolant temperature fluctuations?

Cheers
John

P.S. I bet you didn't expect to have to answer so many questions so soon :)

Hi John,

The Exhaust and System was made by Exhausts By Design near Bicester/Oxford. Very good quality at a very reasonable price.
Yes I have used a Raceline Water Rail and it has worked very well. Although It was the only option available because there is not enough room between the Bulkhead and the Engine to use the original Thermostat Housing, I even had to relieve the Bulk Head to fit the Water Rail.

The car keeps cools very well and the temperature stays very stable, the little valve like piece of metal was removed from the Thermostate to make sure it opens when the engine is at the correct temperature, making sure that the Rail doesnt have cold water trapped in it leading up to the Thermostat.

Regards

Rich
RichP
New-tral

PostPost by: tablets32 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:19 pm

hi.
i am about to start on the zetec to lotus chassis conversion on my +2. i see from other posts that i will need to fit different engine mounts, where did you get yours? or where they "bespoke" for your car?

i have a formula four 1.8 zetec with uprated cams which should give 130 bhp. not sure if i should change the drive shafts from doughnuts to cv joints, as i understand it the lotus twincam bhp was 130, so the drivetrain should not be overstretched by the zetec. what sump do you have fitted, i am thinking of using a shallower design to improve clearance.

sorry to bombard you with questions, but believe me i need as much help as i can get.

thank you.

Keith
tablets32
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:00 am

That sits really nicely Rich, and looks like a Plus 2 should. How did you avoid the Elan-on-a-Landrover-chassis look, which Spyder seem to adopt on their cars?

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:14 am

Elanintheforest wrote:That sits really nicely Rich, and looks like a Plus 2 should. How did you avoid the Elan-on-a-Landrover-chassis look, which Spyder seem to adopt on their cars?

Mark

Mark,
This looks like a 2 year old topic. I expect that Rich's exhaust manifold has been ground to dust by now :roll:

Keith,
Probably best to post your question in the Mods section, and some of the hands on converters out there will be more than pleased to point you in the right direction. 130bhp won't trouble the gearbox or diff too much providing they are in good order, the consensus of opinion regarding rotoflex versus cv joints for the driveshafts is slowly leaning towards cv joints, possibly due to the available quality of new rotoflexes which some say are very poor compared to in period.

Regards
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:17 pm

Spyder fan wrote:Mark, This looks like a 2 year old topic. I expect that Rich's exhaust manifold has been ground to dust by now :roll:

That's why I was asking....to see if the particular manifold design for this car has overcome the clearence problem. But I'm probably missing something!

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: