Greetings from new Lotus owner

PostPost by: leifanten » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:20 am

Hi All!
This seems like a very active forum. I have recently bought a 1969 +2 that is in very good condition. I have history for it for most of its life, and it seems like it was restored bumper to bumper in 1987 and since left parked inside without being used. (suspension, brakes, engine etc is still in as new condition) It has 77000 miles on it. I have always wanted a Lotus, and I really like the +2!! Also, my other hobby cars are way too reliable, and therefore gives me too little hobby :D (except the Cortina, which is in Norway still)

I am currently putting the finishing touches on it including
- conversion to CV joints
- buffing the paint
- getting the rev counter to work (see separate post for advice)
- getting the fuel gauge to work (see separate post for advice)
- tuning up the engine
- replacing a bunch of suspension bushes that have aged rather unwell
- replacing the seat belts
- a bunch of little this and that

I have put a new set of Sumitomo 175/70-13 on it already.

looking forward to the interaction on the forum. Please feel free to drop me a line if you are in the Houston area.

I have tried to upload a picture, but dont know if it worked :roll:

best
Leif Andre
Houston, TX
1969 Elan +2
1962 Ford Cortina MkI
1973 Mercedes 350 SLC
1980 Mercedes 450 SLC 5.0
2004 Porsche 911 Targa
Leif
1968 +2 Wedgewood blue
Houston, TX
leifanten
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:07 am

Hi Leif, welcome to elan.net, I just posted on your fuel gauge question. You're right, this is a very active forum, and fun too. I've got a '69 +2 also, does yours have Strombergs? Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: leifanten » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:49 am

It has the strombergs. I have some bad memories trying to get my Cortina to run on dual strombergs back in my teens. One moment it would launch like a rocket, the next it would drown in fuel. I never got this going the way it should, but boy did that thing go when it went.... It was geared for a 1200, I put a bored out 1500 (1670cc) into it with those strombergs it would burn rubber like only a teenager can appreciate. I still have that car as well, and consider using it for some amateur rallies at one point.

I must say the +2 is such a head turner.
Leif
1968 +2 Wedgewood blue
Houston, TX
leifanten
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:35 am

Hi Leif,

Not only a head turner.

The +2 is one of the true gems of the Motoring world :)

Peter
I is an Inginear....please excuse my speeling!
'73 +2S 130/5
Scimitar GTE for the lazy days, 3008, Some bicycles, Wife, Kids, Cats, Dogs....chickens....cluck cluck...one duck...the others flew away!
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:07 am

Welcome to the Forum, Leif. Form experience, any car that has sat that long unused will have issue with grease solidifying. I would clean and inspect all bearings and regrease before doing any significant driving. I once brought a car home from the UK and lost the alternator bearing on the 500 mile trip home, followed in short order by the wheel bearings! IMHO all grease and fluids should be changed as a priority.
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:39 am

Hi Leif
Welcome to the forum - its active because Lotus need use plus care and attention. :D

I lived in Houston for a few years back in the 80's unfortunately I had to leave the Elan in Australia at the time. I presume a Norwegian in Houston has to be in the Oil or petrochemical industry.

Unfortunately air con in a plus 2 is a fair exercise

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: