AVO adjustable inserts

PostPost by: LotusElan+217 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:48 pm

Hi all +2 enthusiasts

Rebuilding my 72 +2S 130/4, ordered AVO inserts from Spyder and just tried to fit to the standard Chapman strut, they sit proud of the strut tube by about 15mm and consequently the threaded nut cannot locate, upon measuring up to the Armstrong inserts removed the body of the insert is indeed 15mm longer on the AVO so not a hope on earth of fitting properly.

Just to clarify, there are no spacers located within the tube, the Chapman strut is unmodified and the same applies to the strut I have spare, so although the AVO is shaped to locate in the end cap of the Chapman strut there is no way of securing at the top without extending the strut tube which obviously cannot be right.

Anyone else experienced this, an extensive search on here shows up the opposite problem where spacers are required at the bottom of the tube but not where the insert is too long.

Too late to take up with Andy at Spyder today so will contact him on Monday morning but any information I can glean in the meantime would be of help.

regards
David
Founding member of the society to eradicate the belief that a +2 is not an Elan by those who really ought to know better :)
LotusElan+217
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:33 pm

Hi David

There's nothing complicated to fitting replacement inserts so I'm afraid all I can suggest is that Spyder have sent you the wrong ones. Using inserts to repair strut type suspension is fairly common practice for many different cars so there are all sorts of different rates and sizes available. My guess is that the ones you have are for somthing other than the standard Lotus. I wouldn't imagine there would be a problem getting Spyder to exchange them but if the is, Sue Miller or Paul Matty should be able to help out

Regards
Andy
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: LotusElan+217 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:55 pm

andyelan wrote:Hi David

There's nothing complicated to fitting replacement inserts so I'm afraid all I can suggest is that Spyder have sent you the wrong ones. Using inserts to repair strut type suspension is fairly common practice for many different cars so there are all sorts of different rates and sizes available. My guess is that the ones you have are for somthing other than the standard Lotus. I wouldn't imagine there would be a problem getting Spyder to exchange them but if the is, Sue Miller or Paul Matty should be able to help out

Regards
Andy

Thanks Andy, replaced inserts many times with four +2s owned over the last 30 years, just never come across this before, Spyder should be aware of the correct part number for the +2 so a bit annoying that a simple mistake can be made when I really wanted to finish the car, but we are all human so mistakes can be made.
Founding member of the society to eradicate the belief that a +2 is not an Elan by those who really ought to know better :)
LotusElan+217
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:14 pm

Hi David

I guess there are several different options and set-up of suspension available from Spyder for the Plus 2 so perhaps thats how the problem's occured.

Andy
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: LotusElan+217 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:28 pm

Quick update for those interested, having spoken with Sean at Spyder it appears that the insert length of the AVO inserts they have in stock is 43.5cm, the ones supplied to me are 45cm hence sitting proud by 15mm, this is despite the serial numbers stamped on the inserts being the same, so a mistake at the AVO factory, just a warning for those purchasing AVO check they are the correct length.

David
LotusElan+217
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: