Another +2 Ruined....

PostPost by: richgilb » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:00 pm

Must mean I already have one then.....hang on a minute, I'll just check to see what engine I've got in it.
I am now an ex-Elan owner but will drop by from time to time with some suitably inappropriate comments.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:42 pm

Rich, Mark,

I think the name of that fuddin Injun is Geronimo!!! Happy Landing.

Sorry no, neither the Man that did the Welding or I am any longer employed where that job was done.
Goodness knows how much I'd have had to pay if it hadn't been done as a "Foreigner"(Ha ha, German, geddit :roll: ) let alone putting something like that in to Production.
It'll be the last time I do anything like that again (Zetec into S4), you need top Workshop facilities & a big fat parts bin for Hoses, Bolts, Materials etc.
Also having some friendly Automotive Parts Suppliers on hand for things like Thermostats, Filters, Carbs etc. stopped the Budget getting out of hand.
That ex-Employer got hold of a brand new Zetec direct from Ford & let me have it for 100 GBP. It being excess to requirements :wink:
Oh & by the way, Ford bench tested it to make sure they didn't send out a sub-standard Engine to another Engine maker.
Happy Days (well some of them) :)

'Tis a wicked Web we Weave!
Cheers
John

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:55 pm

richgilb wrote:Must mean I already have one then.....hang on a minute, I'll just check to see what engine I've got in it.

I've lost the Plot.
Time for me to have a lie down I think.
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:24 pm

It says Twin Cam eater on the top. What must this mean?
I am now an ex-Elan owner but will drop by from time to time with some suitably inappropriate comments.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: lotuselanman » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:11 am

Gidday Rich,
Good to see you are creating a older classic with modern engine technology.
I am going down the same route with S2 +2, well actully I started with the Zetec several years ago but various other projects and race car got in the way but there is light at the end of the tunnel and the Zetec/Elan will be started soon.
One area I have concern with are the seats, God awful bloody thing you sit on not in. You mentioned XJ6 seats for yours. Any chance of photo or information on this apprach ?
Lucky bloke that I living in South East Queensland, Australia.
See ya,
Les.

[email protected]
lotuselanman
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:59 am

Hi Les

I was inspired by the photo in this link: scroll downa dn you will see it with the black seats.

elan-plus-f13/front-seats-t16077.html

It looked just right to me....also they are XJS seats, not not XJ6. I have learned that there are three types of seat, the very ealry non-electric ones, the later Recaro non-electric ones and then the Recaro electric ones. I went non-electric Recaro.

They are not in yet but they may need some extra brackets to fit.

Cheers,
Rich
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:33 am

And now it is 99% finished. Just a steering wheel to fit, some clock issues to sort, carpet for the boot, an ipod cable, some new speakers, and ride height....

And now to book us onto a classic weekend run in Northern France at the end of May......happy days.

(hope that dirty piece of carpet in the footwell is the fitter's....)
Attachments
DSC03563.JPG and
DSC03554.JPG and
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:45 am

Rich,

it looks good, I like the light blue metallic colour, the ride height and stance looks pretty good to me, but I'm not a purist as you know 8)

Didn't you want a more lary colour scheme for the interior? a bit of dayglo seat piping would have really set it off (not!).

Do the seats tilt forward nicely or are they a bit of an issue, only asking because I'm thinking of getting some seats that are a bit more supportive for track days. The standard seats have no sideways support and frankly I like putting the car sideways if I can, but it scares the hell out of any passenger because they are hard up against the door on most clockwise circuits and there's only that 40 year old door latch design keeping them in the car!

Hope you enjoy the car for summer, maybe see you at 3 Counties for the show.

Regards
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:54 am

Heyup Alan

The seats only slide, I am having to get a special spanner made for the tilt mechanism, which will live in the glove box. I had to take the Jag chrome levers off. They are also heavier than the original seats so that may be something to consider. May I suggest the following? Apparently you should not dress a room in a house with more than 3 colours so you should get away with it.
Attachments
PP_velours_rot.GIF
PP_velours_rot.GIF (31.52 KiB) Viewed 1377 times
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:22 am

Rich,

Hmmm nice and subtle :lol: I was thinking Recaro's or similar might be the way to go and just fit them temporary along with the track tyres & wheels when I'm doing a day. I haven't worked out if I can fit full harnesses that can easily be removed and won't make a mess of the parcel shelf. Spyder say it can be done, but no mention of cost. Trouble is I should really fit a cage if I'm getting that serious, probably a step too far and maybe I should ruin an S4 like John Pelly has done.

This Zetec stuff is beginning to get a little old hat though, I'm starting to look at using a Honda S2000 & 6 speed for the next project, or maybe a Duratec. The engineering guys tell me its a problem cos the heads (inlets & exhaust) are round the other way on both these engines and the gearbox linkage needs re-engineering etc. To quote Jeremy Clarkson " How difficult can it be"

Regards
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:00 pm

Stick a turbo on it, that should keep you happy for....er....a few weeks, seemingly! Road tax, insurance not enough to keep you interested? I spoke to paul matty last week and he said he cannot expect to get more than 15k for a zetec in his showroom....enough to put you off selling? I would keep it classic or classy if I was looking at track day cars. elise, e30 M3 perhaps? The S2000 looks gay IMHO. No character in its appearance at all. Or keep the zetec for pottering and get a cheaper track only car, say a ten year old e46 3 litre for 3 grand? Then strip it, tune it, no worries if you dent it.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:41 pm

Spyder fan wrote:Rich,

Hmmm nice and subtle :lol: I was thinking Recaro's or similar might be the way to go and just fit them temporary along with the track tyres & wheels when I'm doing a day. I haven't worked out if I can fit full harnesses that can easily be removed and won't make a mess of the parcel shelf. Spyder say it can be done, but no mention of cost. Trouble is I should really fit a cage if I'm getting that serious, probably a step too far and maybe I should ruin an S4 like John Pelly has done.

This Zetec stuff is beginning to get a little old hat though, I'm starting to look at using a Honda S2000 & 6 speed for the next project, or maybe a Duratec. The engineering guys tell me its a problem cos the heads (inlets & exhaust) are round the other way on both these engines and the gearbox linkage needs re-engineering etc. To quote Jeremy Clarkson " How difficult can it be"

Regards

Interesting, I think that the Ford Zetecs were the last engines they made with the intake & exhaust Ports the right way around for a good RHD installation.
The Japanese have also Manufactured many of their Engines with the Ports the right way around as their basic Models are also RHD & that being regardless of the engines mostly being installed transversely.
The Honda S2000 Engine is a very sweet piece of Kit & being mounted longitudinally I would expect the Ports to be the right was around for a RHD Car.

And oi you I resemble that remark!
My S4 is only temporarily "ruined" :x
It can be put back together again as a "True Lotus Elan" at any time for anyone perverse enough to do so :)
That was part of the Plan.

Honestly the Kids today :roll:

Oh & the interior of the +2 looks great; love the Seats.
Oh & by the way, is that the "standard" Spyder Hand Brake lever position? I like that as well :)
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RedS4 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:51 pm

There is a manufacturer of Lotus 7-like clubmans in Sydney called PRB - they manufacture their own car plus supply Westfields fitted with S2000 engines. I can tell you first hand they are fast to drive 8) (but my suglesses kept blowing off ...) :roll:
Evan J
Elan S4 FHC RHD 36/8569 AND White Evora S..
RedS4
Third Gear
Third Gear

Previous

Total Online: