It's alive!!! What a sweet sound!

PostPost by: alaric » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:45 pm

Sorry but I had to share. It sounds much better than I remember. I wired up the ignition this evening and started the +2 for the first time in a year. What a fantastic sound! It just ticked over really smoothly until I blipped the throttle - using the throttle pedal for the first time ever - and a lovely deep throaty cracking growl was emitted by the carbs. Fantastic! Then I got into the car - no seats, no dash, no brakes apart from handbrake, and steering wheel just pushed on, popped it into first gear, and drove it into the garage. It was a bit late so I didn't leave it running too long - my neighbours and wife just don't understand!

I want to get the brakes working again next - I've had issues with the servo so need to make up a bypass pipe for now.

And it's so low to the ground - it's been up on ramps for months, so it's great to see it squatting back on the ground again.

I was too excited to make a vid of it running otherwise I'd have posted that.

Still grinning! Maybe you have to have been through a restoration to really understand. :D

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:13 am

Hi Sean, no restorations for me in the last twenty five years but I feel your joy. Pinot Grigio for everyone. Put a seat in it and drive around a bit. Bypass the servo forever, a +2 can stop perfectly without power brakes.
I'm lucky enough that my wife appreciates my infatuation with cars. SHE bought our first Peugeot, and now doesn't want me to sell the S1 or +2, women, I love 'em.
Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:56 am

Yep! Quite a bad case of acute lotitus. No cure and treatment (footering) leads to re-infection.

You have got it bad man! :shock:

Enjoy...... :lol: :lol:
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:57 am

Hi Sean,

It makes all the toil & trouble worthwhile doesn't it? Just the noise of an engine barking into life--------Music :D

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:15 am

Well done Sean , you must be over the moon!

All the best

Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:47 pm

release the kite Igor :D --ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:16 pm

Thanks guys. I've given the neighbours a break from the noise this weekend. I rinsed the bodywork off with a hose today - it's all shiny again. Lovely.

I now have it running with the alternator wired in and the temperature guage working. I want to see that new radiator getting hot but haven't left it running long enough yet.

Here's a pic taken this evening. It's making progress at last. :)

All the best.

Sean.
Attachments
IMG_5652.JPG and
+2 drying off after a rinse.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:34 am

As it happens, my 5th (and probably final!) grandchild also came to life on Tuesday. She did not emit "a lovely deep throaty cracking growl" but her cry is just as sweet. Her four-year-old sister is the only kid delivered to her day care in a '66 Lotus and as such is the envy of her friends.
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:00 am

Sean
Loved the picture , the car looks fab , any chance of a few more pictures

Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotuselan2 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:06 am

Sean
Will the bonnet close with that filler cap above the T-stat?
Ken
'69 Lotus Elan +2 with Cosworth BDR
'84 Ferrari 400i
'94 Subaru SVX
'04 Audi allroad
lotuselan2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: kcrossle » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:51 am

Hi Sean - we seem to have been on almost parallel paths in getting our cars running so it's good to hear you're getting so close. Alas I am now dependent upon, and waiting for, the uphostery guy. Soon, he says; soon.

Keith
kcrossle
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:20 pm

Hi all.

I had the engine running with the temperature guage hooked up last night. It climbed steadily to just over 85C, then plumeted to about 83C before settling on 85C. The rad was nice and hot at the top, but a lot cooler in the exit pipe. So, it appears that the system is working really nicely. The combination of a nice big rad and a properly filled system courtesy of the modified thermostat housing seems to be working well. I drove it into the garage and managed to get all the gears. Phew, big relief.

On the thermostat housing, I fitted the bonnet when I first installed it, and there's lots of clearance.

I can't wait to get to the point where I'm fitting the carpets etc. That'll be last to go in. I have a long way to go; hooking up the brakes with a bypass pipe; the new K&N air filter housing and ducting (file required on the bodywork for that one I'm afraid); fitting the windscreen wipers and washer nozzle; the dash wiring and new dash - all the dials need transferring across and new bezels and glass fitting; the felt around the fuel tank and the new fuel tank; building the door innards; re-hanging the doors; fitting the boot lid and associated metalwork; the headlights and rear lights; the rear wiring loom; the sill end plates; sticking rubber on the panels to stop them drumming; the rear screen; fit the new wheel rims.

Crikey. I can actually make a list that quickly now.

One job at a time is the only way isn't it.

I've uploaded a pic that I took at lunchtime:

Elan_on_drive.JPG and
Elan on driveway

It's very high at the back, so the final job on the list will be sorting out the suspension to make it ride at the correct height. Oh, and I suppose actually the touch up paint will be needed to remove those little nicks in the paintwork that only I could find, cause I made them.

Thanks all for the help.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:47 am

Sean
What a lovely colour scheme! :wink:
You must be over the moon and only a little bit to go.

Hopefully will see the car in France soon!

All the very best

Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:19 pm

Hi Terry. Yes I hope to be able to take a trundle down to your neck of the woods once it's all up together. I'll keep you posted.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: kcrossle » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:08 pm

I was so looking forward to making my own "It's Alive!!!" post this weekend. But.

Step 1 - stop and get fuel and a couple of gallons of coolant - the concentrate stuff that you mix 50/50 with water.
Step 2 - add gallon of coolant. Fill container with water and continue carefully adding.
Step 2.5 - note small drizzle of liquid
Step 2.6 - check all hoses. Drizzle continues.
Step 2.7 - determine it's the *new* radiator!! It's just weeping steadily from a seam.
Step 3 - disconnect hoses attempting to guide semi-diluted coolant into a pan. Pan is losing the battle. Remove radiator, splashing a bit more coolant around.
Step 4 - spend rest of the afternoon cleaning up
Step 5 - consume soothing, mellowing beverages

Lesson of the Day: next time - test sytem with plain water, not concentrated coolant

Next Week: the repaired radiator AND the re-welded gas tank!!

Keith
kcrossle
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: