Elan+2 1/24th scale model

PostPost by: atthelimit » Thu May 07, 2009 8:29 am

I am trying to get commisioned a resin 1/24the scale model of the +2. Thats the same kind of size as the commercially available baby elan model.

There is a small volume manufacturer and they are considering the project.

The finished kit would retail at about ?75/80 and built examles about ?125/135
I am not allowed to say who it is but I can assure you that they already produce some other Lotus models and the quality and detail is first class.

However, to devote their time and energies to the project they want to know what the market the would be to see if it would be worthwhile for them.

I do not need deposits or anything just firm interest. The production would only be a limited run and when sold they are gone. So if you would DEFINITELY buy then can you please let me know. I cannot promise this will happen , it will all depend on numbers.

But those who register will get first refusal if it comes off. Please only register if you will buy as I could end up spending a fortune to get them made only to be left with them, I want a nice model but not at the expense of my real car.
atthelimit
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Thu May 07, 2009 11:03 am

Hi There

I'd definitely have one. If it could be built as either a early or late model, I might well have two.

Andy
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Thu May 07, 2009 11:13 am

Yep, I'd buy one as well. Why 1/24th by the way? 1/18th and 1/43rd are the more popular sizes, with a good variety of 1/18th Elans and early Elites recently on the market.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Thu May 07, 2009 12:19 pm

I've been looking for a model of the +2 for years and always been frustrated that the baby elan is the only one available. Put me down for 1 too please. Happy to send money as soon as you place the order or just prior to if you're, naturally, concerned about initial outlay. Thanks for trying to get this organised.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: robcall » Thu May 07, 2009 12:46 pm

+1 :lol:
Nigel Robertson
robcall
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Thu May 07, 2009 3:02 pm

Any timescale on when these will be available?

At the moment. Coun't me in for one too!

Peter
I is an Inginear....please excuse my speeling!
'73 +2S 130/5
Scimitar GTE for the lazy days, 3008, Some bicycles, Wife, Kids, Cats, Dogs....chickens....cluck cluck...one duck...the others flew away!
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Thu May 07, 2009 5:41 pm

There have been a very few +2 models on the market, including one by SMTS (Scale Model Technical Services - http://www.smtsmodels.demon.co.uk ) I think. Not sure what scale it was; do they still have the moulds? Its certainly not shown in their current line up. Could save a lot of hard work if they still have moulds... I am certainly interested..

Jeremy
Attachments
SMTS Model +2.jpg
SMTS Model +2.jpg (7.99 KiB) Viewed 3214 times
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: atthelimit » Thu May 07, 2009 6:37 pm

In answer to some of the comments;

1) SMTS Elan+2 (scale 1/43) is no longer available and there seems to be no possability they will make any more. I have both their variants standard and soft top conversion but they are just a bit small for my liking. And getting harder to find all the time. There was also a 1/32nd Slot car body avaialble some years ago but the shape was not that good.

2) Why 1/24th. Well its a nice size and would match the GUNZE SANGYO S3 Baby Elan, and also The Tamiya 7 and Europa. It is also possible to get a 1/24th type 14 Elite and Eleven (not mainstream models but available) and a 1/24th +2 would fit in with these very nicely. As for 1/18th scale, as a one off they are nice but if you have a number of 1/18th models storage becomes a bit of a problem. In the commonly available plastic kits already mentioned they include goodies like engines and the Europa has the alloy spider type wheels seen on later +2s. If the proposed kit had a steel wheel as standard it would be possible to upgrade the kit by raiding these other kits for some very nice parts and so you should be able to make a very nice model indeed. ( It should also be possible to use the bumpers form the Europa model which are Chromed to give a very realistic finish to the model.)

3) By modeling a +2s fog lamps and all it would be possable to retro to an early car with a little bit of filler, sanding and fettling, nothing any Lotus owner should have a problem with. It should be possible to model both early and late cars on this basis.

4) Time scale, difficult to say, at this stage there is no agreement to produce unless there is sufficient interest. Assuming there is enough and they agree to give the green light a donor car would be need to photograph and measure, presumably no shortage of offers on this front and then about three months to produce a finished product. But they may well have to finish other projects first that are already in the pipe line. These are not mass model makers and therefore resources are limited.

If anyone has any more thoughts or requests about the model at this stage, shout up. These can be given consideration at the model planning stage.
atthelimit
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Thu May 07, 2009 7:20 pm

Thanks for the effort. I would take one as well.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Thu May 07, 2009 7:30 pm

Out of interest, how many do you need to make it viable - 10 ... 100 ... 1000 ?

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: atthelimit » Thu May 07, 2009 8:06 pm

Viable quantity is 150
atthelimit
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Stuart+2 » Thu May 07, 2009 9:58 pm

Put me down for one please.
I have a nice Lotus 49 and it would be great to have a '50' next to it to underscore the pedigree.
Cheers
Stuart - Sydney
1968 +2 50/1035
Stuart+2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: surveyor » Thu May 07, 2009 11:24 pm

Hi,
You can put me down as a definite for this.

Have a model of virtually every car I've ever owned - except for the elusive +2 model, been looking for that for years.

dennis
surveyor
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Fri May 08, 2009 8:05 am

Hi There

It would be nice if alturnative wheels, spotlights etc could be provided in any kit, then either an early or late example could be built.

Andy
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: EMA7K » Fri May 08, 2009 1:23 pm

Yes please, I'll take one or two

Gareth
Zetec elan +2
Elan Sprint (EMA)
EMA7K
Third Gear
Third Gear