Another early +2 bites the dust

PostPost by: dusty » Mon May 04, 2009 1:34 pm

davidj wrote: To be honest I would prefer no sunroof at all. I only fitted it as it came with an awful glass sunroof!

David

I have the same issue, my car has an aftermarket glass sunroof. I think I'm going to fit a new roof panel during the restoration.
dusty
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ncm » Tue May 05, 2009 12:19 pm

I don't think that this shell is from an early car as it has the later style remote boot release mechanism, not the chromed external handle that was fitted to the early shells.

Brian
Attachments
early shell.JPG and
ncm
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ncm » Tue May 05, 2009 12:22 pm

[quote][/quote] see another early car has been broken up - Unless the owner has resurrected it with a different shell perhaps

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lotus-Elan-2-Body ... |294%3A100

the quote in the above post was meant to refer to this shell currently on e-bay

brian
ncm
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Tue May 05, 2009 1:00 pm

I saw two more tubs in Blackburn today, one looked like a scrapper, the other one DOY 100J looked good.

I was there to look at window frames and got one....but I also had a look at the Lucas rectangular lights that came off one of them. They were rough and looked like they needed a lot of work, which leads to this question I have been chewing over all morning:

Should i just fill the holes in the valances? They look better without the fog / spots to me. They seem expensive to sort or replace and then I have to make the decision as to how I want them to function and how I want them to be switched on, then pay someone to wire them up as per my wishes. And then they need maintaining. Oh, and they must have weighed a bag of sugar each.

Do early Elan owners ever wish they had the extra power now and again? Have I missed a thread on this dilemma somewhere? I am going to the spray shop tomorrow and need my executive decision by then!!

Cheers,
Richard
I am now an ex-Elan owner but will drop by from time to time with some suitably inappropriate comments.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Tue May 05, 2009 4:55 pm

Rich,
How keen are you on authenticity? I assume that your car has holes in the valance that uses to contain the plastic liners that sat behind the fog and spot lights. On that last cars (130 on?) the light recesses were moulded into the valance so there was no hole.

I've modified my earlier car to add the recesses (moulded off the plastic liner) as I want the look of the lights. It should be easy to fibreglass from the inside and finish off with a smooth valance, the choice is really yours.

Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Tue May 05, 2009 5:10 pm

Yes, I have two holes where the Lucas lights used to be. Not too bothered about authenticity....as long as the mods don't look like chavvy Halfords stuff, I am happy to personalise my car.

I am surprised to hear that you prefer the +2 with the lights? Most people seem to prefer the earlier look. I was more worried about the pracical side of things...i.e. not having lighting options.

Richard
I am now an ex-Elan owner but will drop by from time to time with some suitably inappropriate comments.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Tue May 05, 2009 5:11 pm

strange...my car is a 130s but it has holes
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: davidj » Wed May 06, 2009 11:40 am

Brian, Ref the boot release. There was a "series 1.5" elan +2 (my words, not lotus) which gained the internal boot release, centre exhaust, later door handles etc However, it is not an "s" therefore is still an early car. I think it was introduced around serial number 750ish (don't have the workshop manual to hand)

I guess the side lights must have been an option on the early cars as it appears to be pot luck if you have them fitted or not!

David
davidj
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Fri May 22, 2009 9:00 pm

jason,
just having had another look at this thread i noticed a glaring difference between your pedal box and mine . the spacer on mine was behind the clutch master cylinder & i believe i was the first person to have removed it. there was no spacer behind the brake master cylinder .
your spacer is behind the brake master cylinder! ??
maybe they used different length pushrods behind?
RichC
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Sat May 23, 2009 6:20 am

Hi Rich

Sorry I am not sure what you mean? Have you got any pictures?

I have a couple of MC off if you want me to measure the push rods?

Jason
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dusty » Sat May 23, 2009 10:45 am

I think he is refering to the Black spacer between the brake master and the pedal box in this picture.

Mine didn't have any spacers when I took it apart.
dusty
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Sat May 23, 2009 11:32 am

A before picture attached.

It is just a steel spacer; not sure if it was original but put it back anyway.
Attachments
011.JPG and
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: