Original at any effort?

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:25 pm

Good point, Andy. You don't need type approval on all cars though...otherwise the kit car market would be dead. They have to be inspected by VOSA to ensure that they've met certain safety rules before they are allowed on the road, but that inspection seems to be a pretty simple one to pass. I wonder at what point a modified car also has to be inspected?

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:34 pm

Hi Everyone

Sorry to sound a little smug but, reference the post "Engine Sitting Too High", and this demonstrates exactly why I like to keep things standard.

My car's standard and last year I needed two engine mounts. Phoned Paul Matty, asked for two Plus 2 engine mounts and next day two mounts arrived which fitted perfectly with no problems at all.

My point is, Lotus Elans and Plus 2s are extreamly well supported as far as spares go, but start modifying things and you can soon finish up not knowing where you are. I'll bet in 10 years time original cars will still be equally well supported, however, if Spyder doesent find a buyer, who's going to support their products, who going to know where the exhaust manifolds or brakes etc were sourced from. And, even if you identify brakes are from, say a Mondeo, try going to a Ford dealer and asking for a seal kit with out knowing the cars VIN number or the like. But thats just my opinion.

And finally, I really like my rubber donuts

Andy
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Carlos A » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:01 am

andyelan wrote: I really like my rubber donuts Andy

Your comment reminded me of a friend; lets call him, Pepe. He had what I believed was a perfect marriage but got divorced some years ago. I had to ask him, ?I am sorry to ask you something so personal Pepe, but I though you adored Martha?? he then interrupted me: ?Yes, I thought so too, until I met Linda.? I have to say that weeks later he introduced me to Linda and ... :shock: I saw his point.
http://yourgarage.nbc.com/cars/Lotus1970?vehicleID=112804

BUY GAS WITHOUT ETHANOL: http://www.pure-gas.org/
Carlos A
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:47 am

Thanks for that Carlos :wink:

Andy
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:57 am

I bought "Linda" from Susan Miller a few weeks ago and am quite looking forward to driving the car without "Martha" (!!!!!!) and the risk of one of Martha's terrible tempers

Just to get back to the post - I think that grahammay2 should buy whatever seats he wants that would enrich his enjoyment of the car.

Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:58 am

I thought there was going to be some punchline involving Linda and a pair of rubber donuts ... carefully selected new parts enhancing the original and all that.

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tdafforn » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:28 pm

"flame proof overalls on" : 8)
I am one of the people on the forum who have begun dabbling with FI on the twincam..
I have to say that I aggree somewhat with both camps (purists and modifiers) and it is a conversation that I have had about a range of "classics" on a range of forums (fora?) for the past 10 years
I ran my car was pretty standard for the last 6 years (preFI) appart from:
aldon ignitor ignitor (hidden in dizzy so as no to spoil the engine bay originality)
aftermarket widscreen washer pump (couldn't get a replacement for the old one)
711M tall engine block (doesn't really spoil the engine bay either, and cheaper than replacing the L block).

the rest of the car is pretty much as Colin intended it down to original dash, carpets, seats!
So why, the purists ask, start mucking about with the FI.
Well, in my case it may be a bit of an odd reason.

I have solved many of the issues with the car that had accumulated during its >30 years of life and it runs great! I love driving it and perhaps I should be happy.
However, there is no-longer anything to keep me in the garage, and one of the reasons for buying the +2 and not an MX5 was because I like mucking about with cars.

So I had two choices.
1) go for concourse (this is sooooo not me, you should see the state of my office!!, I also believe (second set of nomex overalls on) that concourse is just another form of modification. Why replace things that haven't worn out, just because it makes it look like new?)
2) modify the car

Now number 2 is also an issue for me as I like the fact the car is as it was intended (and again the comment from some to option 2 is, "why put FI on? just by an MX5"). However number 2 is OK if done in such a way that it is reversable, and that is my plan.
Why go FI? well
I found the carburation with the Dellortos a bit of a pain when I got the car. (bogging off idle, flat spots etc).
Working with one of the ex members of the group (Keith, AKA type26owner) I resolved the issues and it runs great.
I also learn't a lot about 2 phase flow, wide band O2 meters and the inner workings of the dellorto (enough to bore you for hours.... Wanna see my spreadsheets of WB02 vs revs with different jets?)
The next logical step is to apply some of this to the car, which is what FI allows. What I wnat to find out is what are the perfect conditions (mixture, timeing etc) needed to make a big valve TC really sing!.
In the end I am guessing I will get it somewhere near working and then take it off and put it on the next project. The main thing is that appart from a few small holes in the glassfibre it will be as it was.
The other main thing is that I will have enjoyed just another aspect of what are truly magnificent vehicles, and I have had a reason to keep from sitting in front of the TV and vegitating!!!

Cheers
tim
1972 +2S130
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Shiny_kit » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:27 pm

Amen to that !

I'm not sure I would go as far as FI but I am thinking about an EDIS ignition conversion. I did my MGB and it made a huge difference, and with the location of the distributor being so inaccessible I think it would be a good idea.
1968 Plus Two
2020 Royal Enfield Continental GT 650
Shiny_kit
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tdafforn » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:43 pm

Looked at EDIS, nice system..
Went for the Megasquirt as it does away with the EDIS module!
Still rather stunned it works
tim
1972 +2S130
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: