A proper 1955 Lotus mkIX - Limerock 2008

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:24 pm

Roger Sieling, Russ Newton, Bill Fralick, Clark Lance and some other lotus owners all got together yesterday at the resurfaced/remodeled Limerock race track to see some Vintage racing. I was there and took some photos of my friend Dave Belden's 1955 Coventry Climax powered Lotus mkIX. I know its not Elan related but some of the folks on this site enjoy the early Lotus alloy paneled cars so I thought I would share some of the pictures with the group. Some of you may remember that the mkIX was involved in a shunt last year at the same event and it took a lot of effort and determination, not to mention the money to get it back together for this year. I applaud Dave for his love of racing to bring it back out on the track and share it with everyone. If things work out right Dave, Alice and the mkIX will be there along with Roger Sieling with his Lotus 20/22 the rest of the labor day weekend and both are scheduled to be at Watkins Glen for the event next weekend September 5th - September7th. If you are going to either event be sure you stop by and say hello to both Dave and Roger.

Gary

Here Dave is chasing Bob Girvin in his Allard, probably two of my favorite vintage racing cars at the event.
Last edited by garyeanderson on Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:51 pm

That's not a car, Gary, that's pure ART ! Stunning.

Shame about the roll hoops and seat belts from an appearance point of view, but quite understandable. Just think that they used to be raced with the driver being protected by a cloth cap, a tweed jacket and pair of googles...the more nervous drivers would don a cork crash helmet.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:00 am

Mark were you on the vino last night:

- a pair of googles

is that for when you are really searching for something rare?
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:35 pm

Yeah, shows how I spend too much time!
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:36 pm

Actually in the UK they still can race without the ugly pipe-work. Not seen any tweeds for a while though!

Good to see the car back together.

Cheers,
Pete.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:23 pm

Gary,

That Allard is a hoot, I was at an event with it at VIR and on a track with long straights the monster engine in that thing comes into play.

did the re-surface at LRP change some of the lines like it did at RRR ( not to mention reducing lap times) ?
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: klfulop » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:45 pm

Dave is a great guy and an excellent custodian of that car.

Thanks for the pics Gary.

Sorry I couldn't make it... first time I've missed that event in several years.
klfulop
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: johnbicht » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:11 pm

I wonder if someone knows where my old Mk. IX is. I sold it after putting it back together, in late 1971 in Philadelphia.

I saw some pictures from 2003 of Dave Belden's car and it sure could have been mine. The front end bodywork was quite rough, and right under the grill opening was a round hole not quite completely cut through, from a Porsche speedster tailpipe.
johnbicht
New-tral

PostPost by: cabc26b » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:27 pm

John,

Was the cause of the hole sliding on the oil being dumped out of the porkypine's cases ?
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:37 pm

johnbicht wrote:I saw some pictures from 2003 of Dave Belden's car and it sure could have been mine.

I just traded emails with Dave Belden and unfortunately his is not your old IX. The ownership trail of Dave's IX is completely documented beginning with Len Bastrup of Wilton, CT to Fran Southwick of Natick, MA, to Carl Whitney and Ray Petri of Ayer, MA and finally to Dave in 1978 or 1979. You might be able to find yours through the Historic Lotus Register. http://www.historiclotusregister.co.uk/
I have attached a photo of Dave getting ready to go out on the second practice session on Friday of the Labor Day vintage race weekend at Lime Rock this year.
Attachments
DSC_0023.jpg and
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: