No one told me about that!!

PostPost by: carrierdave » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:49 pm

On Saturday I finally got round to lifting the body off the chassis. I double checked all of the bolts had been removed, checked all the cables etc.. So I commenced the lift.

After a short time I herd that fearful "cracking of fibre glass noise" ? At which point I stopped.

Having then spent a further 30 minutes going over every thing again, I started again to lift the car ? no noise.

Then when I had the body about 8 inches off the rear suspension there was another fearful cracking noise - my father said ? What?s that strap?!!

I then found under the centre of the chassis, fixed to one of the differential mounts, an earth strap.

At present my car still has the petrol tank fitted and it appears that this strap is either bolted too or bolted under the petrol tank.

Is this correct? Has anyone come across this before? Did I miss it in the books?

Thanks
Dave
carrierdave
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: john.houston » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:07 pm

Hi I had the same thing happen .Mine was rotted and didn't give up such a fight.
Its the earth strap as you say to earth the petrol tank.It will need replacing as it is the earth for the petrol tank sender unit. Good Luck.
john.houston
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:03 am

I beleive the fuel sender unit has a ground connection in the loom.

It appears that the fuel tank ground strap is to prevent static build up and potential detonation of the tank fuel / fumes.

There should also be a groud strap from the filler neck to ground.

As my replacement alloy tank has rubber insulated tank straps, I grounded the straps, tank and filler neck.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: carrierdave » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:37 am

Thanks for your replies. Just reading through Gordon's book and I see that he makes reference to an arial earth strap!
I haven't had a close look yet but I do remember a fibre earth strap tucked up under where the boot stay arm is.

Any thoughts?
carrierdave
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: carrierdave » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:17 pm

Just got the tub off - It was the ariel earth strap.
carrierdave
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: