Zetec Ecu Map

PostPost by: niallf » Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:38 pm

Well the good news is that my Zetec Elan Plus 2 started for the first time today :) . Runs pretty roughly though and won't idle, I have to hold the throttle open.

I think the problem may be the Emerald Map, so I'm wondering if someone has a map they could e-mail me for an Emerald ECU, controlling a 2L Zetec, with std cams and Throttle Bodies (Jenvey)?

It started using a map for the same config, but with 285 cams, as that was the closest that appeared to be on the Emerald Disk.

Thanks,

Niall
niallf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: simon.mitchell » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:01 am

Niall,

Good to hear that you've got the Zetec started - when do you expect to be on the road? As far as the map is concerned, if the ECU came via Spyder then the correct map should be loaded be default (it's called Spyda3.fig on the disk). If you don't have it send me your email address and I'll send it to you.

Presumably you've calibrated the throttle pot and set up and balanced the throttle bodies correctly as per the Jenvey instructions? It's very important also to re-calibrate the throttle pot using the software each time you make an adjustment.

Cheers,

Simon
simon.mitchell
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: niallf » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:59 am

Hi Simon.

Using that map, but it's described in the notes as being for BP285 cams, hence the confusion, I'll stick with that if it works for you.

I did set up the Throttle pot, but not really attempted to balance the throttle bodies yet. I'd better dig out the instructions !

When will it be on the road? Maybe the end of May. I've a busy time at work until then though.

Things left to do are:

Finish wiring (95% there and 95% tested)
Fit new carpets.
Fit MX5 Front Seats
Paint & Fit replacement bonnet.
Fit remaining dash & interior trim.
Fit Windscreen and Rear Window
Re-fit doors.
Fill & Test Brakes !
Sort out the headlamp pop-up mechanism.
Get MOT.
Sort out Boot trim.

Having typed all that, chances of finishing in May, Slim !

Niall
niallf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: simon.mitchell » Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:05 pm

Hi Niall,

If it's any consolation mine ran like a pig when I first started it last month - it would idle but very unevenly. I spent a while adjusting things but in summary I had to open up the throttle body butterflies a fair bit from where I had them initially using the throttle stop screws and then balance them with a carbalancer. Runs beautifully now and I can lean in and start it from cold without touching the throttle.

Sounds like we have similar amounts of work left to do, although I have succesfully bled the brakes now - 5 mins with an Easibleed after I found it impossible to bleed them 'manually'!

Interested in the MX5 seats - do they tilt forwards to give access to the rear seats? How are they mounted?

Cheers,
Simon
simon.mitchell
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: niallf » Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:49 pm

The MX5 Seats tilt from the back of the squab. There's a small handle at the side of the seat. I'll need to fabricate a mounting for them to bolt into the floor, but I'll use the existing MX5 Subframe.

Doing it because they're slightly more supportive than the existing seats, and they also have headrests. They're narrower than the existing seats so fit easily.

This site gave me the idea.
<a href='http://teglerizer.com/triumphstuff/miataseats/index.html' target='_blank'>http://teglerizer.com/triumphstuff/miatase...eats/index.html</a>

Thanks for the note about the brakes, I have an easibleed.

Niall
niallf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: fitzy1 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:44 pm

Simon ,Nial

Greetings from fitzy.

Delighted to hear you are both making good progress .....good luck with the remainder of your builds.

I finally got mine mot'd and taxed last w/e and it's a great feeling !!

Still lots to do as I've got a few electrical gremlins and need to fit carpets etc. but it goes like s....t !!

Very interested in the idea of mx5 seats as the original seats are very uncomfortable and I can't justify speding loads on fancy seats what sort of price should I expect to pay from a breaker for a pair ??

regards

fitzy
fitzy1
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: simon.mitchell » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:50 pm

Hi Fitzy,

Glad to hear that it's on the road at last I've driven mine up and down the drive and I can't wait to try it on the road for real. I'm aiming (optimistically) for next month...

Did you go for a rolling road set up or stick with the default mappings?

Cheers,
Simon
simon.mitchell
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: niallf » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:54 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-fitzy+Apr 11 2005, 12:44 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (fitzy @ Apr 11 2005, 12:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->
I finally got mine mot'd and taxed last w/e and it's a great feeling !!

Still lots to do as I've got a few electrical gremlins and need to fit carpets etc. but it goes like s....t !!

Very interested in the idea of mx5 seats as the original seats are very uncomfortable and I can't justify speding loads on fancy seats  what sort of price should I expect to pay from a breaker for a pair ??
[/quote]

Very difficult to say ! The one piece MK1 MX5 seats seem to go for ?150ish a pair on e-bay, I think this is because they have speakers in the headrests (a useless gimmick IMHO). I think the later Mk2 seats are the same size and can also tilt, these may be cheaper.

I looked at a lot of the other seats, Cobra's and Corbeau's, in fact I have a s/h Recaro (again from an MX5) these all have squab widths around the 450mm mark, which only just fits. They also tend to be taller, so the tilting can be a problem, if they tilt at all! MX5 seats look as if they'll work really well.

There are company's that do leather re-trims for MX5 seats for around the ?450 mark ( <a href='http://www.innovationcomputers.co.uk/leatherinteriors/' target='_blank'>http://www.innovationcomputers.co.uk/leatherinteriors/</a> ). My plan is to re-trim as per original Plus 2S (i.e. I'm only re-trimming the dash parts) so a black leather seat trim could be on my horizon.

Probably after the car's on the road though.

Cheers,

Niall

PS Good to hear from you Fitzy, by the way. Seems like only yesterday when I way to optimistically said I thought I'd be on the road by July... last July :o
We must all get together when we're finished. I'll be away for Club Lotus Castle Combe at the end of May, unfortunately.
niallf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: fitzy1 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:56 am

I'm a coward....I stuck to the default mapping.

Am hoping to go on the Castle Coombe track day at end of May and it will be interesting to compare mapping .

Thanks for the info on seats

fitzy
fitzy1
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: