Elite and +2, Father and Son

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:27 pm

Mark (elanintheforest) wanted to see a photo of my Elite as the father of the Elan. So here are the Elite (EB1771) and the +2S (0170N) next to each other in my garage. The heritage is clear (you have your father's nose). What is worse than taking your Elan apart? Taking your Elite apart at the same time. :shock: The +2S is getting water pump and clutch surgery (please stop me there) and the Elite is coming down for a complete chassis-body-unit overhaul and paint.
Attachments
Father_Son_Rear.JPG and
Father_Son_Front.JPG and
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:48 pm

What a fine pair! Lotii look just right in Yellow...have you deceided what colour to paint the Elite yet? I guess that you've found a few different shades so far. And a technical question..it can be tricky jacking up an Elan...where on earth do you jack up the Elite? I'll bet when you get the tyres done that you take the wheels off the car and just take them in...I don't think that I would trust the lads over here to do their usual 5 minute tyre change using a 6ft trolly jack to get the car up in the air!
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:11 pm

Mark,
At the front I place a timber underneath the points where the front engine mount attaches to the internal reinforcing skid. The timber is notched to clear the sump. The rear is more tricky, just find a spot below a good vertical section of glass fibre at the front of the wheel well and go slowly. And yes, I take the wheels by themselves to the tire mounter, both for the Elite and the +2S. I am planning on white for the Elite. Some years ago I met Ron Hickman at a Lotus event in the States. He told me he always envisioned the +2 in red when he was drawing it up.
Cheers.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Emma-Knight » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:53 pm

:shock: what a garage...! I would like to have my living room like that!
Just a place for the Guinnea-Pigs... ( I still hope they learn to fetch me tools and bolts )

Anna
1965 S2
Emma-Knight
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: