Honest honey, it only needs a lick of paint!!

PostPost by: tower of strength » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:42 pm

My plus 2, the previous owner was good enough to paint stripper the shell and park it for ten years under a car port, I bought it for my father and I to restore, but he passed away after we got it to almost rolling chassis stage, It has spent the last 4 years under a tarpaulin (standing on another), We exhumed her this morning and took these pics!! My dearly beloved fell for the "it only needs a lick of paint " comment for 30 seconds, she has resigned her self to becoming a "lotus Widow" for the next six months!!!

Its a 1970 +2s that was white with a silver roof. Thinking of BRG or Dark Blue in many months time!!

Mark
Attachments
elanresto1edit.JPG and
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:29 pm

Six months! Ha, you got her fooled. :twisted:

Pete.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tower of strength » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:43 pm

Hee hee!!

Its progressing well though, in the space of 3 weeks, I've pulled the body off, worked out how to get a 5 speeder (MT75) to fit, stripped off the suspension, painted the chassis, refitted most of the rear end, just waiting for parts, going to paint all of the front suspension tomorrow and hopefully have the body back on in the next week or two. Then the hard graft starts!! The shell is a bit of a mess, with splits, cracks and tears all over, I rekon a couple of months scrapping, sanding, GRP and resin repairs ahead. I'd like to have it in primer by christmas!!

Regards

Mark
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: tower of strength » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:02 pm

Well, here we are, six weeks into the restoration and the Chassis is done, the front end has had all of the cracks,splits and delaminations repaired and hi build primer applied.Body is also re united with the chassis. Not bad progress me thinks? :lol:

Mark
Attachments
front in primer.JPG and
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Matt » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:30 am

Mark

Your progress is amazing ! and from what I've seen its all been done to a very high standard.

It's going to be a stunner when its done.

Keep us updated with your progress

Matt
1967 Elan S3
1970 Elan S4 Sprint
1972 Europa TC
1973 Elan +2 s130/5
1978 Esprit S1
1981 Esprit S2.2
Matt
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:05 am

Mark

I have seen people who have taken 10 years and not got as far

Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tower of strength » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:06 pm

Thanks for the support guys, and Matt, thanks for the help putting the body back on!! I'm having a weeks break (to allow my sore fingers to recover) to spend some time with my good lady:lol: then I'll steam into the rear end and the doors,boot and bonnet!!
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: tower of strength » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:01 pm

some progress pics for those who are interested! I've been busy doing grp repairs all over the shell, and sorting the back out where the car has had a wallop at some time, idiots repaired it with some grp and an inch of filler, what a mess, still its getting there, , , , , slowly:lol:
splits in front wing braced and ready to be assaulted!!:

Glass Tissue and resin repairs to delaminated nosecone:

MT75 gearshift, made for less than a tenner how much plus vat for the other one?:lol:

theres plenty more if you want to see them!!

Mark
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:25 am

How do you find the time?
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tower of strength » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:40 pm

steveww wrote:How do you find the time?

honestly I dont know!! :lol:

3 or 4 hours in an evening, 12 -14 hours per day at the weekend, I only get alternate weekends and a couple of nights a week though, got to try and keep my lady happy as well :)

I'm not a gambler, but there are a few people who I have taken bets with, If its on the road by the end of the school summer holiday 2007 theres a fair few tanks of petrol in it for me!!!

Mark
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:40 am

Without wishing to be negative ............. what happens if it's not on the road by then ?

Regards,
Stuart.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: tower of strength » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:11 am

Stuart, I cannot entertain thoughts of failure, I will have to cough up around ?100 and be the object of derision for the ensuing future!!! It doesnt bear thinking about :lol:

Plus "her indoors " wants to wipe a few smug smiles of work colleagues by turning up to work in the beastie!! She works at a school, the kids will gob smacked, as will the staff!!

Mark
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: tower of strength » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:02 am

I thought I'd post a couple of chassis pics, this thread is getting a bit disjointed progress wise!!

its been a busy 3 months!! good progress to date!!

Mark
body lifted, chassis a bit of a mess!! Its only done around 1000 miles since it was changed 20 years ago!!

The MT75 and bottom end in the chassis (held in place by some timber) whilst the mount was modified.

Mark
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Matt » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:55 pm

I'm not a betting man but I think you will have it done enough to get it to the Lotus show at Donington this march :wink:

Good luck to you Mark and keep up the good work

Matt
1967 Elan S3
1970 Elan S4 Sprint
1972 Europa TC
1973 Elan +2 s130/5
1978 Esprit S1
1981 Esprit S2.2
Matt
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tower of strength » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:20 pm

I'd love to have it done for Donnington Matt, Its a combination of time and funds, I've nearly finished repairing the backend and boot lid, Just the doors, pods and off side rear wing to do, then its time for Hi build primer.

Mark
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

Next

Total Online: