ordering online p&p

PostPost by: snowyelan » Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:55 pm

I simply won't buy from anyone who won't quote the shipping. SJ has been very good, and RD here in NA have even accommodated my request to change from their typical shipper to save me brokerage costs.

Having said that, I wait till I have a large enough order for the shipping costs to make sense, both for me and the supplier. Its a net loss for suppliers to ship out low dollar orders as they have used the small profit just in the time it takes to quote, pull stock, package, invoice, and ship.
Scott
45/9011
Hawkestone, On, Ca
snowyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:40 pm

I cannot perceive how a supplier will push through a sale on a card before establishing a shipping cost. I have never seen this one.

You are all complaining about charges, but not giving any examples. This is an area for helping each other. Let us hear where the high chargers are so we can avoid them. Also let’s hear the decent ones! I can start here with Summit Racing. Not only was a cylinder block a bargain basement price, but less than 100 bucks to ship next day to France? A steal :D

Before you complain too much, spend a work experience day with a courier and try to make sense of rising fuel prices, labour costs and general admin costs rising all the time. And for the UK, the added headache of not finding staff since the ludicrous action of voting to send eastern EU support workers home.

Why the UK does not take up the Eutopean network of Mondial Relay for deliveries beats me! (Well, it doesn’t but I do not want to offend anyone with the truth :D )
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:16 pm

HCA,
how much did you get hit by Customs.
Which also hits transport cost not just the Goods.
Just for your transport you would have been hit between 25 or 30 Euros.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:32 pm

That was for p&p and shipping to my door. I left off the TVA as it is a charge on top of anything. No duty was charged though.

In fairness to Burton, their base shipping cost for a block was quoted at £60. I rate this as ok. I certainly would not like to hump a lump of cast iron of that weight over the channel.
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:26 pm

With DHL or FEDEX i get a demand to pay charges TVA + Customs mistery charges before they deliver.
With la Poste/ Collisimo i have to pay at the time of delivery.
In France you can get Ford Parts at " Charon Fontenay le Comte".
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:50 pm

HCA wrote: And for the UK, the added headache of not finding staff since the ludicrous action of voting to send eastern EU support workers home.

I'm not going to turn this into another Brexit thread but will simply point out that no-one voted to send anyone home. The facts are that once brexit started to be enacted, European workers were entitled to stay in this country if they wished to do so.

Another strange fact about isolationist UK.

Population of UK in 2016, 65.6m, population today, April 2023 is, according to Google, 68.8m. So roughly 3m increase in population despite a great number of older folks dying with Covid since the vote in 2016. Net migration is predicted to settle around 250,000/yr.

Doesn't sound the Brexit vote has prevented people coming here, does it ?
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:29 pm

Yep - loads of non-doms, not the nurses, care home staff, hospiality and infrastructure workers that are needed.. :D
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: