Bill McCurdy

PostPost by: crannyr » Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:22 pm

I received a message from Marryanne McCurdy that Bill passed away today .
He was my engine builder for over 20 years and a great friend.
He has been in failing health for several years. He will be greatly missed.
crannyr
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:35 pm

RIP the guy Rob Siegel described as TLEG (The Lotus Engine God).
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: USA64 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:14 am

Write it down and post it lest it die with you! I'm always brought up short to think of the loss of a lifetimes experience. My kids hound me to put it in writing and they are right. The same applies to you. :wink:
We are supposed to be having fun, are we not?
USA64
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:38 am

Always sad to see a Lotus engine builder go and all that experience be lost. I am currently part way through writing up the knowledge I have accumulated over the past 40 + years of twin cam building and modification and will post it when its in a readable state

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:22 pm

rgh0 wrote:Always sad to see a Lotus engine builder go and all that experience be lost. I am currently part way through writing up the knowledge I have accumulated over the past 40 + years of twin cam building and modification and will post it when its in a readable state
cheers
Rohan

Rohan,

That is great to hear !

Best wishes with the project !

Sean Murray
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanner » Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:28 pm

I knew him but slightly. A good man. How very sad.

RIP Bill.
elanner
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: baileyman » Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:33 pm

Very sorry to hear this, Rick, but we all knew it was coming. Jim Burns is going to complete my street motor for my Elan that I think was Bill's last project. Aluminum block, somewhat more than 2 litres, every trick he thought he could squeeze into the package. It was just for fun, for both of us. John
Last edited by baileyman on Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baileyman
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Billmack » Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:44 am

Godspeed my friend. You will be missed by many.
Billmack
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: crannyr » Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:07 pm

I was asked by Marion Mc Curdy to post the following:

..You may have heard that Bill McCurdy of William's Racing Service in Harvard, MA died Feb. 18, 2023 after a year of failing health. He was respected by many in the motorsport community and affectionately referred to as "TLEG" (aka The Lotus Engine God) by Rob Siegel in his 2020 book, "The Lotus Chronicles". You'll find several sage and humorous McCurdy quotes throughout the book. He was a man with a depth of knowledge, an odd sense of humor, and endless patience. I should know..we lived together LOL!!!
As his health began to fail after the 2019 heart attack, he never wanted to close the shop, always intending to finish the many projects he'd begun. He mentored Jim Burns from Jim Burns Engines imparting some "McCurdy wisdom" and dyno instruction along the way. Prior to his death, Bill and Jim decided WRS should continue in some form and it will. In the near term, the shop will undergo some reorganization and tidying up while power testing continues.
You may reach Jim at [email protected]" target="_blank and me at [email protected]" target="_blank.
Thanks,
Marion❤️
crannyr
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: