Acoustic/thermal

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:57 pm

I used SecondSkin in a Elise, around bulkhead. Found contact cement is caustic, so go for the solvent free cc.
It sure is nice closed cell foam, I did not try the audio version. It is dense.

I do believe the dyna stuff is good in areas where you can move the fibreglass, or anywhere you could get vibration or movement of a panel. Through, a thin strip of mat and resin strengthens any movement too.

https://www.amazon.ca/050110-Square-Fee ... 4059&psc=1

Stuff like this is what I will use next, with dyna for resonance because it sticks in place.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:52 pm

Hi There

I have been thinking about this as well. I think a thick coat of Gravitex both internally and externally could help somewhat. I plan this as a minimum.

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:00 pm

I tried (IIRC) a Quiet Car product as an undercoat. Not very successful as it did not adhere well to the fibreglass and basically pealed off in sheets. Hard to say how much it helped with actual noise reduction. I used it as an undercoat rather than on the interior because I had already completed the interior.

I used it based on Sarto using it on the interior surfaces of his Coupe to good effect.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=21714&start=

Suggest considering similar stuff for interior use only. It was easily painted on by brush in several thick coats, and I think it was water based for easy cleanup.

The link in the Sarto thread above seems to be dead now, so not sure of availability or whether similar stuff is still available, perhaps with a different trade name?

YMMV. HTH
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Donels » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:06 pm

Newton Commercial do a sound deadening kit for Elan based upon original material but not for +2. Their interior range for Elan is quite comprehensive.
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:12 am

Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:51 pm

Hal,

I think that there probably is no single good idea and it seems to wrong to suggest Europe is behind on car insulation. It is just behind on YouTube! Assuming the original felt is no wanted from Newton, might I suggest that a mix of products is probably the best way forward.

Firstly, Würth anti-gravel, UPOL-Gravitex or Mipa SE tinted “truck bed” liner coatings offer stone resistant coatings and some noise absorption. This can also be deployed for the lower engine bay (the upper will be satin black), and all facilitate chip re-touching. This has been suggested by various folks on the forum.

Secondly, acutely conscious of keeping weight down, I have been interested in a product that is made in France called Protécable Feutrine and Vitas (GB).

The former is usually supplied to Stellantis and has the advantage of being "sticky backed" so that an insulating foam such as 6.5mm Dynaliner (from the Dynomat folks) or Vitas 10 or 20mm sized glass fibre coated sleeving can be secured without fasteners.

Vitas (GB) produce some quite interesting fireproof materials.

Both are very reasonably priced for impecunious young enthusiasts like ourselves whereas Dynamat is for heftier SUVs/armoured personnel carriers and budgets.
1965 Lotus Elan S2 26/4022 (originally Dutchess Lotus East, PA and NJ Area, USA)
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: