Yank coming to Goodwood Revival

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:46 pm

Yes I will be at the Revival and would fancy a meet up with any of you from the forum who will be there and care enough about my occasional blatherings to meet me.

I must rely on you veterans to select a proper meeting spot and time. I will bring one of my books and carry it in my hand in an obvious manner so you can pick me out of the crowd of flat cap wearing hordes.I'll be the good looking one :lol:
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:20 pm

I would have welcomed the opportunity to meet you as I thoroughly enjoyed your book, but unfortunately I will be overseas till the end of the month. I hope you have a great trip.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:54 am

Will look out for an Old Tall Man on a Trip of a Lifetime ( available from all good booksellers).
Seriously, I hope the weather holds for you.
I may have a paddock pass spare if that is welcome?
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:40 pm

Certainly would like to meet up Ross! I am there Friday and Saturday.

It is difficult to peg a time and place now, as best laid plans etc... See an earlier post of mine, I want to make a point of seeing Brian race on Saturday and if possible, qualify on Friday - so we could meet at the grandstand, or, note my phone number and call me when you are established it is: 00336, twenty seven, sixteen, sixteen, twenty four. (it is important you use the 00336 prefix...)

Graeme
If you do not have a home for your paddock pass, I can/will certainly put it to good use... :D Do you normally race at Revival?? A friend of mine is really angry this year - he has an ex-works Healey 3000 which comes under 'a vehicle of note' but last week, he managed to make a mess of the gearbox and something else. He also has other Healey's, one of which is a works replica, but he is not allowed to substitute it! He is particularly annoyed as he is not a 'driver of note' despite winning his class at Goodwood before, and so cannot get in on this ticket. I would have thought that Goodwood might be like the Master's Golf at Augusta - previous winners should remain always a 'driver of note'. But I guess this is how they maintain standards.
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:47 pm

HCA wrote:Certainly would like to meet up Ross! I am there Friday and Saturday.

It is difficult to peg a time and place now, as best laid plans etc... See an earlier post of mine, I want to make a point of seeing Brian race on Saturday and if possible, qualify on Friday - so we could meet at the grandstand, or, note my phone number and call me when you are established it is: 00336, twenty seven, sixteen, sixteen, twenty four. (it is important you use the 00336 prefix...)

Graeme
If you do not have a home for your paddock pass, I can/will certainly put it to good use... :D Do you normally race at Revival?? A friend of mine is really angry this year - he has an ex-works Healey 3000 which comes under 'a vehicle of note' but last week, he managed to make a mess of the gearbox and something else. He also has other Healey's, one of which is a works replica, but he is not allowed to substitute it! He is particularly annoyed as he is not a 'driver of note' despite winning his class at Goodwood before, and so cannot get in on this ticket. I would have thought that Goodwood might be like the Master's Golf at Augusta - previous winners should remain always a 'driver of note'. But I guess this is how they maintain standards.

When they let no name celebs race, that's not necessarily keeping standards up, but I'm all for the amateur racer rather than the rich guy with the expensive toy that he hires the best he can for.
I'm in all days. Sadly, not racing and never likely to at my sedate rate. Besides , I have had an engine 'incident ' too.
I have at least 2 spare paddock passes but will need them back.
To be fair, I offered Ross them first so I'll await his reply and I'll PM you after.
Regards,
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:55 pm

Hi Graeme and Hal,

Best I think to communicate directly via email rather than clutter up the forum. If you both could email me at: lotusross at comcast dot net we can make some preliminary arrangements and if I can get a cell phone for the week I can connect that way once we are there.

At worst we will have a chance to increase the odds of making a connection. Cheers!!
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:28 pm

I have a spare paddock pass - first come first served.

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:16 am

paddy wrote:I have a spare paddock pass - first come first served

... now gone.

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:56 am

Ross Robbins wrote:Yes I will be at the Revival and would fancy a meet up with any of you from the forum who will be there and care enough about my occasional blatherings to meet me.

I must rely on you veterans to select a proper meeting spot and time. I will bring one of my books and carry it in my hand in an obvious manner so you can pick me out of the crowd of flat cap wearing hordes.I'll be the good looking one :lol:

Ross,

I hope you enjoy your visit. I live quite close to Goodwood, and although I won't be able to make it this year, it is one of my favourite events of the year. Lord March has done an excellent job, and the whole experience is great. My own preference is to stay away from the multi $ million cars, and focus on the recreation of the club events - the St Mary's trophy being the best IMO. The forecast is good for the weekend, though we were there last year in the rain and it made for exciting racing, so the weather isn't that important. Just a couple of tasters for you:

A fair amount of guff in the link I am afraid, the racing starts at 7:20. I was there for this race in 2021, and it was the most entertaining of the day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XC2-HESOP4

I was also there when Ray Hanna flew his Spitfire down the start/finish straight back in '98 below the height of race control. They can't do this anymore, but the flying displays are always good. The video is very poor, but seems to be the only record of the flight on the web. Still worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnc78LW7V1U
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:52 am

Part 1 of St Mary's Trophy from yesterday. I wasn't there, but the weather has been great down here. Today looks like it is going to be good as well.

No Elans, but plenty of Lotus Cortinas. The Goodwood circuit with its long straights favours land yachts like the Galaxie, but the Cortinas did well to hang on.

Andy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeI9JsxZ5W8
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:27 am

Ross Robbins wrote:Yes I will be at the Revival and would fancy a meet up with any of you from the forum who will be there and care enough about my occasional blatherings to meet me.

I hope to go next year as well, plus visit CTL and the factory. Counting my pennies....
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 2mAn » Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:14 am

StressCraxx wrote:I hope to go next year as well, plus visit CTL and the factory. Counting my pennies....

I’m also planning on going next year as well. April 15 is the day circled on my calendar, be cool to meet a fellow Californian out in the UK
-Simon
2mAn
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:32 pm

2mAn wrote:
StressCraxx wrote:I hope to go next year as well, plus visit CTL and the factory. Counting my pennies....

I’m also planning on going next year as well. April 15 is the day circled on my calendar, be cool to meet a fellow Californian out in the UK

That's the 'Members Meeting', not the Revival
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 2mAn » Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:56 pm

661 wrote:That's the 'Members Meeting', not the Revival

Is there racing? Thats all I really care about haha
-Simon
2mAn
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:08 pm

If you are traveling from the states to Goodwood, the Revival is the only event to attend. There is nothing to compare with on this side of the pond.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: