can a leopard change its spots

PostPost by: 512BB » Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:23 pm

The only thing that I would add to what I have said earlier in this thread, is that Kent Sports Cars have, what APPEAR to be, some lovely cars in stock at the moment. I very much doubt that they own any of them, and that they are on SOR.

If that is the case, and the actual owners read this post, if they would like to sell their car, they should contact me via this forum, as I would very much like to purchase 3 cars that KSC are currently advertising, subject to viewing. I would not even contemplate buying through KSC.

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Hethel_Haus » Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:34 pm

I too bought a CN conversion from UK Sportscars over 10 years ago. It is a '73 Plus 2 130/5 big valve with Dellorto carbs and right-hand drive. I also took the leap of faith buying sight unseen other than the multitude of photos that Paul emailed to me. I live in Wisconsin USA so an in-person inspection was not possible. I had been searching world-wide for a convertible Plus 2 and the ones that I had found did not seem to last long before selling so I pulled the trigger on this one. Was it everything that I expected. Yes and no. The car barely ran which was disappointing since it was advertised with a rebuilt engine. I later found the compression to be down across the board with a good misfire in one of the cylinders. On the plus side, the body was straight, all of the parts were there, and all of the electrics worked. All in all, I would do it over again though. It's an old car which I am currently in the process of restoring completely. I did the Provenance search by Andy Graham and all of the ID's still match. The car was repainted from the original color which I still found by wet-sanding the existing finish. And I have traced down 5 of the previous six owners who had fond memories of the car. The only disappointments there were not being able to trace down the history of the CN conversion and a mystery issue concerning the original dealer having this car as a demonstrator for 3 years. The Provence Certificate listed a sale to Dicksons Motors in Forres and Perth, Scotland who held it until 1976 when it was sold to a Gordon W. Topping, Merchant Navy Engineer (the only other person I have not been able to track down). BTW - is a low-mileage S2 M100 really worth 28,995 GBP at UK Sportscars??
Steve
'73 Elan +2S 130/5 Cabriolet
Hethel_Haus
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:42 pm

Only last week, I had a small car lot refuse to sell me blind a car she had! A cracking little car, basic engine Peugeot 207 with only 18k kms on the clock! I even offered her half of my travel cost on top, but she would not have it!

A young lady starting up in what is known as a shifty business. Too nice, but I hope she makes it.
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:01 am

Any car under say £2,500 bought sight unseen is a gamble. If you’ve got deep enough pockets for more, then court costs dont scare you.

That said, if the paintwork was to be remedied, and its far off. Also the hurried delivery before the holidays is a problem too.

Go try the UK Lotus Centre if you want to be ripped off, if there is a BBB in the UK. I think the internet is great for ratings.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: hamm61 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:22 am

Firstly i havee not had any dealings with UKSC, however i have a +2 130s/5 drop head , i bought it from P Matty, ok i paid top price . 3 years on it is a great car and a head turner mine has a massive history file and a hard back book showing the cars history since 1982 , it came from a good home. We took it to the Isle of Man last september with a classic car tour the only problem was a loose rear wheel as a muppet had not re torqued it ( it was I),
Keep the faith with your car as when it is sorted all you will do is smile,.
Peter
hamm61
First Gear
First Gear

Previous

Total Online: