respray in the UK.

PostPost by: jeff jackson » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:11 am

Hi All,
I am aware of varous threads on here about resprays, but I wanted an up to date thread. Sorry.
I have a quote from SMS for the respray of my Plus 2.
Has anyone had their car painted recently?
What was the Cost, and were you happy with that cost and the result?
If I do this, it will be about the same price I bought the car for all those years ago, a significant outlay for me.
Any replies gratefully received.
Kind regards
jeff
jeff jackson
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: woodie » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:47 pm

Hi Jeff
My plus 2 was painted at Spydercars, and I was very pleased with the result, especially as the roof finished in gold metal flake. I would expect you would pay between £5,000- £10,000!! depending on the state of the fiberglass underneath!!
Regards Tony
Attachments
IMG_5541.jpg and
woodie
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: elans3 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:45 pm

I have no affiliation with SMS, buy can only say that my S3 SE was painted by them for a previous owner in 2008, and even now, coming up 14 years later, still looks fantastic. If it ever needed doing again, for whatever reason, I wouldn't hesitate to go with them.
Current :- Elan S3 DHC SE S/S 1968,
1963 Alfa Giulia Ti Super Rep.
Previous :-
Elan S3 DHC SE SS 1968,
Elan S3 DHC S/E 1966
Elan S3 FHC Pre-Airflow 1966
elans3
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:09 pm

The main painter at SMS now works at Spyder or perhaps works at the Spyder premises, I’m not totally clear on the arrangement, but I am clear on the quality of the work.

My S4 was painted by this exceedingly gifted man in 2010 and still looks stunning with none of the usual sinking or cracking that appears after a sub standard respray. Well worth the cost.
[url http://www.spydercars.co.uk/spydercars- ... -facility/][/url]
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Baggy2 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:46 pm

IMG_20211115_102708_449.jpg and
Depends a bit on where you are in the UK. I've just had my +2 repainted by Pilgrim Motorsport in Small Dole , West Sussex.
No connection but can reccomend.

My previous post is here - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50124
Baggy2
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:00 pm

Anyone prepared to discuss actual prices and the breakdown of fibreglass prep vs painting?
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:08 pm

Look at the link that I posted

£6 k strip down disassemble and prep and a further £6 k to paint and reassemble.

That’s the cost for driving your car to Spyder and dropping it off for a repaint before picking it up nice and shiny.

I understand that Option 1 and SMS etc are similar cost.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: NTG999 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:21 pm

I found the post 'The main painter at SMS now works at Spyder' slightly disingenous, it seems to suggest that the painter who still works at SMS is not as good?
I have first hand experience as I had my Elan DHC painted last year by SMS, I think the finished job was excellent, whether above or below other bodyshops I don't know.
As to the price, I would expect it would largely depend on what service you want, I delivered to them a completely stripped body, and asked for as close to perfection as possible
NTG999
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:06 pm

Spyder always used to use SMS for their rebuilds, my car was rebuilt by Spyder and painted by SMS back in 2010. It was excellent work and I’m pleased that they continue to offer a high quality finish.

The person at SMS who painted my car now works out of Spyders premises, therefore I can vouch for the quality of the work and I have used them recently for some work. I haven’t used SMS since 2010, but as stated I’m pleased they are still doing good work.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jeff jackson » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:57 pm

Hi Spyderfan,
Just to clarify:
What does it mean ready stripped?
Of paint?
Or of all the shiny bits, trim, glass, lights etc....?? Leaving the paint on?
Also I asked one of the people mentioned in this thread about Soda blasting. Spyder say they Sodablast back to Gel coat.
I have a Soda blaster and I was told by that other company that it was not recommended.
So what is the correct procedure??
Kind regards
Jeff.
jeff jackson
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: smo17003 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:09 pm

Jeff,

Have a look at this if you are considering soda blasting.

https://youtu.be/FZ-4cmtsnFQ

Mike
Mike
1967 S3 FHC
1968 S4 FHC
smo17003
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:25 pm

Hi Jeff,
I’m not totally clear on the procedure, but ready stripped means all the paint down to the gel coat has been removed and the car is dismantled to the point that all bright work, screens and windows have been removed.

To do the job to a very high standard requires the body to be removed from the chassis, the doors and lids will also be removed.

Soda blasting to remove the paint is either a good idea or a bad one depending on who you speak to, I personally don’t have any experience of the method.

The biggest cost of a respray is the labour, I know that might sound obvious, but the more you can do yourself the lower the final bill will be. I have heard that the average hours required to properly strip and prep an Elan ready for repaiir prior to repaint is in the region of 100 hours…. Ouch! £60+ per hour, hence £6000 before you start repairing and prepping.

Hope this helps and doesn’t put you off? Best to speak directly to one or all of those mentioned to get their advice.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:45 pm

That soda blasting video confirms my previous experience with the process. I was even talked out of it by a very experienced professional soda blaster.

Personally I would not go near it. I stripped my current project myself using wood chisels and then a DA to remove the spray filler down to the gel coat - it's come out perfect with zero damage

It was laborious but strangely satisfying, I reckon my time probably approached 200 hours but if you do a few hours here and there you soon get through it
Attachments
P1090334 (Copy).jpg and
P1090337 (Copy).jpg and
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:56 pm

SMS resprayed my car almost twenty years ago and it still looks amazing (in my opinion). There are some photos on my website http://www.lotuselan.co.uk/albums/rebuild-1/

Carl
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: