US owners: no Voights 5-speed for you

PostPost by: awatkins » Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:45 pm

I telephoned Alan Voights inquiring about a 5speed conversion and was told they no longer will ship to American customers, even those who would arrange shipping themselves.
awatkins
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:07 pm

Glad I got mine a couple of years ago then... sadly it's still sitting in the basement... :roll:
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:18 pm

Hmm. That's surprising. I wonder what prompted the decision to not ship to the US. Too much trouble trying to support US customers? I know I had various communications with Alan over the last year but without rancor. Alan is a nice fellow. I am quite happy with my 5-speed conversion.

But, Steve Lyle, also a recent customer from Texas, had more serious issues which perhaps involved some financial recompense for Steve. But, it had appeared that all the problems were resolved.

I also believe that Voigts had complications with arranging the shipping to the US on their own. I arranged my own shipping which went smoothly.

There may have been some units damaged in shipping? But, I thought that was a packaging problem that had been solved years back. My unit arrived in a foam encased box with no damage.

In the future, a potential US customer could possibly order their Voigt conversion via a UK based Forum member and then ship from there. Arranging my own shipping, including all customs clearances, only cost me $150 to California. I also received the gearbox in just a few days.

I also note on a Facebook post a while back that someone had spoken to Alan who was talking about getting rid of this part of his business. No idea if that is factual.
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: awatkins » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:22 pm

Sorry, I should have included that the stated reason was they had too many complaints about shipping problems.
awatkins
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:33 pm

awatkins wrote:Sorry, I should have included that the stated reason was they had too many complaints about shipping problems.

I simply had Voigts package up the gearbox as per normal. I then arranged collection, customs, and transport on my own. Really quite easy, all done online. Voigts did not have to do anything other than put the gearbox in their foam-filled box and hand it over to the collection driver. No documentation, payment, or other actions required by Voigts. Gearbox arrived in California within a few days with no damage.
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:34 pm

1owner69Elan wrote:Arranging my own shipping, including all customs clearances, only cost me $150 to California. I also received the gearbox in just a few days.

Now I'm jealous! I'm trying to bring in a musical instrument from Germany, box weighs a mere 22 kilos, shipping cost more than $150 and I haven't received any updates since it arrived at the airport in Frankfurt two weeks ago. :cry:
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:49 pm

I just got 25kg package from TTR, 103GBP fedex shipping, 1.5 weeks of form filling for fedex/customs and now a $75 duty charge. Along with the hassle of some minor damage due to very rough handling of the package.

So I can fully understand why Voights wouldn't want to deal with that if they have enough demand from UK customers for the gearboxes.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: englishmaninwales » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:52 pm

I live within a 1 hour drive from Voights and I’d be happy to collect an order from Merseyside and help facilitate a collection for the US from my home address.
Malcolm
1966 Elan S3 Coupe
1994 Caterham 7
englishmaninwales
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:27 pm

mbell wrote:I just got 25kg package from TTR, 103GBP fedex shipping, 1.5 weeks of form filling for fedex/customs and now a $75 duty charge. Along with the hassle of some minor damage due to very rough handling of the package.

So I can fully understand why Voights wouldn't want to deal with that if they have enough demand from UK customers for the gearboxes.

I use TransGlobal Express (UK) which acts as broker for the big carriers (DHL, Fedex, ...) but at reduced cost. I setup an online account. Numerous shipments to/from US/UK without a hiccup. Collection, all documentation done online. You do have to be complete in filling the online paperwork out, but it is a "fill in the blanks" operation.
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: awatkins » Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:06 pm

Malcolm —
That is an extraordinarily generous offer, and as such I hope not to be that desperate and would be very much in your debt were I to take you up on that. I have written Alan V. offering to pick up the box myself, since I usually get my Anglophile over there fix at least once a year. I am looking forward with a little trepidation to his reply.

Thanks,
Alan
awatkins
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:56 am

I had a horrible feeling that Voigt's decision was a result of new VAT measures across Europe from today (no, this time not brexit induced!) that is making it difficult for smaller companies to ship outside their own country, forcing many just to say 'sod it' and stop exporting altogether.

However we are ok in Europe, he is still shipping here. By the sounds of it, he has had more than a few issues shipping to the US not only the actual shipping but sadly some run-ins with a few customers who gave him a hard time. As is the way maybe - one or two bad 'uns spoil it for the rest.
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TBG » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:11 am

Why not cut out all the hassle and expense and get a 3:1 CWP like what I done!! Still thrilled to bits with it - 5000rpm is 110mph - what's not to like? D

Bollinger brolly.jpg and
TBG
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: geni » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:35 am

Can we get to know Voights better, what he does for our Lotus... and how to get in touch with him.
Thank you for sharing
geni
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:37 pm

Alan Voigts advertises in the Club Lotus magazine and Google will find him. Try Alan Voigts gearboxes.
Please notice there is no `H` in the name.
When I was there it was a small two and a half man garage doing routine car repairs and servicing as well as gearbox and differential repairs.
They are always busy, so bear with them a little please.
Some of the british dealers send there repairs to be done there.
Eric in Burnley
S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:13 pm

TBG wrote:Why not cut out all the hassle and expense and get a 3:1 CWP like what I done!! Still thrilled to bits with it - 5000rpm is 110mph - what's not to like? D

Bollinger brolly.jpg

Hill starts and slow moving traffic....

John ;-)
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: