Importing a car to Australia

PostPost by: GHill » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:04 pm

Hey All

Does anyone have any good recommendations of companies to export/import a car into Australia?

Im hoping some of our Australian colleagues have good experiences of importing european cars.

Regards
Gareth
To get something you've never had, you need to do something you've never done!
GHill
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jeff jackson » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:13 pm

Hi Gareth,
I tried, but the hoops you have to jump through makes it very dis-heartening.
I was given some very useful links and contacts by members of this forum.
I did follow the contacts up asking for help to import my elan.
The silence from those requests was deafening.
Also you pretty much have to take the whole car apart, including the engine and anything - and I mean anything that has a remote possibility of asbestos in it. So gaskets, clutch, brakes and the exhaust heatshield.
Best to try and have a rolling chassis without any brake pads at all, and the engine in bits on a stand.
The import peopele will still go over it with a fine tooth comb and wrap you in enormous amounts of red tape before releasing your car, now in bits so you can spend the next year rebuiling it.
I didn't bother in the end, it was just too much hassle.
Don't let me put you off though, if you want to do it then I'm just saying it won't be easy.
Good luck.
Regards
Jeff.
jeff jackson
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nrwian » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:37 pm

Hi , I have imported an Elan and a Europa in from the US in the last few years . When I bought the Elan the PO Tony Vaccaro with the help of some Lotus mates , thanks Tony . Removed the head and head gasket , brake pads , exhaust gaskets and the clutch . Put the head in the passenger seat and the gearbox in the boot . Then documented it . No problem with getting that one thru .

I used DAZMAC for both imports .They have a depot in Brisbane and one in LA . Good service and a good price

With the Europa the PO delivered the car to the LA depot . The engine was meant to be removed , head gasket brake pads etc . And they gave me a reasonable price to do it . When it arrived here none of it had been done and I was not charged for it . It still got thru ok but may have just got lucky with COVID this year .

Message if you want I will will pass on my contact details. More than happy to help .
nrwian
New-tral

PostPost by: GHill » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:00 pm

Thanks All.

Merry Xmas!!
To get something you've never had, you need to do something you've never done!
GHill
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: