Selling parts on ebay- first issue in fifteen years.

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:20 pm

+1, people are people

I do prefer Visa Direct over EFT or similar. At least there is some recourse with VD, fees from eBay are not bad though it seems to put favour to the buyer.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steveh » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:59 pm

Pete ,
Did you list them as "re manufactured" or "used" .If they were described as "used" and they genuinely fall in that category then ebay are at fault.

Used:
"An item that has been previously used. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended. This item may be a floor model or shop return that has been used. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections".

The best course of action is to try and reason with ebay quoting 1000+ etc + no buyer contact , if only for them to stand to the return postage.
50/0024
steveh
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:57 am

Pete
You have my sympathies and can only reiterate others..

"The best you can do is refund the money and try and sell the parts again."

Lesson learned , put him in your Blocked Bidders list.

"Fleabay are not bad though it seems to put favour to the buyer."

A bit of an understatement....

The listing seems to be true and accurate...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lotus-Elan-1 ... true&rt=nc

You could name and shame on here as looking through your listing it would be well deserved..

Failing that, just let me know and I'll petrol-bomb him....

( Only joking )

John ;-)
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: denicholls2 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:19 pm

eBay is a mixed bag, I agree generally weighted towards the buyer but there are exceptions. I've never sold on eBay but have bought a lot, and some sellers are highly dishonest. I will return expensive items regardless of whether returns are accepted or not if the listing is inaccurate. As to your listing, as long as it said something like "refurbished", you're probably fine with rejecting a return. I believe by eBay policy that counts against you somehow, though.

My most recent experience was with some model train locomotives listed as "new in box". What I received (and the bidding went high as in this case) was a set of locomotives that had been in a flood, motors completely rusted, magnets mostly dissolved, and clear evidence that someone had recently been inside all of them (probably to pack the worst innards they had inside the shells to cheat the buyer). In any event, the person who opened them up knew they were garbage, not "new in box."

I wound up eating that purchase in a fight over two garbage purchases from the same seller. The other item was a "perfect condition" train set where the driveline of the locomotive was broken (the part is not replaceable and this made the whole thing useless.)

Like others, I recommend you call and spend the phone time. It sounds to me like you are in the right and the buyer had unreasonable expectations. As long as the parts are serviceable, your history should speak for itself. I will say that I haven't made another eBay purchase since my experience with that bad egg. And eBay used to get a lot of money from me.

Finally, if you still have access to the "second chance" option, the second-highest bidder might still want those wishbones at about the same price. So another option is to go that route, offer a return but only at buyer's shipping expense, and still do well on the deal. This way everybody pretty much gets what they want.
denicholls2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:51 pm

Does your reply to the return show up when people search your feedback. Or how would the return affect you.
Do you think what you still need to sell on ebay, having a return will affect this?

I am sure most ebayers have a negative or two. It reflects humanity, not specifically you!
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:31 pm

Thanks for all the response guys. I could find no way of getting redress from eBay, I think their telephone is on a pole out in a desert somewhere.

I asked them to send a return label to the buyer and the 'bones have just been delivered back to me. I'm going to have to pay for this.

The buyer lives in London, which is too far for me to go round and stick them up his.... :twisted: Perhaps I should hammer some dents into them and twist one of the arms, which is what he described- I could then package them up, address them to him and leave them on the loading bay of my local Royal Mail depot? The excess charges for an unpaid delivery might make him think twice before taking the "not as described" route again. :wink:

On the occasions where I have bought something advertised as "used" I have not expected a brand-new item.

I can't see this fellow's name on this site; so he's not "one of us".

Best regards to all in this very strange time; it's great to think that there will be lots of us stuck at home in the garage doing those jobs we have been putting off! :D
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:06 pm

Pete, post up his username so we can all block him. One we don’t need customers like him and two if he can no longer bid on stuff for sale then maybe he’ll learn a lesson.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AshleyPark » Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:47 pm

Why are you acting like a judge and jury? You've only heard one side of the story!

(It wasn't me by the way!)
AshleyPark
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:03 pm

Because..

A) Pete is a trusted , long-standing member of Lotuselan.net ( 17 years plus ).

B) We will never find the other side of the story ( probably)

If Pete does post his username , you could ask him for his version of events , and post them here ( in the interest of fairness ).

John ;-)
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:12 pm

Welcome to this forum, AshleyPark.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AshleyPark » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:26 pm

Welcome to eBay elansprint71
AshleyPark
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:52 pm

Normally, when you return something to a store. You need to have a reason. Because you changed your mind or you decide you dont like it after all may or may not be reason enough, depending on the merchant.
As far as faceless interactions, people seem to have the idea that no one else on the planet matters.
Rather, one should have some dignity and explain what’s wrong etc. Then, as would be normal. To find a resolution.
If you bring the item back to the merchant, no harm done.
In this case, harm done.
Simple
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steveh » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:49 pm

john.p.clegg wrote:Because..

If Pete does post his username , you could ask him for his version of events , and post them here ( in the interest of fairness ).

John ;-)

Hmm seems not everyone, last week i bought a "PAIR" of 16pb calipers off a known Lotus ebayer for refurbishing , the seller avoided mentioning that they were not a matching pair but turned out to be one early and one late. So 2 sets of different seal kits are needed and maybe different pistons?--to still end up with a miss match----the whole reason was to have original calipers.
I sent two polite emails and still as yet received no answer, which says it all ! [so in the interest of fairness now's his chance]
I'm not bothered about the parts , its the lack of honesty !

Regards Steve
50/0024
steveh
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:13 pm

steveh wrote:
john.p.clegg wrote:Because..

John ;-)

Hmm seems not everyone, last week i bought a "PAIR" of 16pb calipers off a known Lotus ebayer for refurbishing , the seller avoided mentioning that they were not a matching pair but turned out to be one early and one late. So 2 sets of different seal kits are needed and maybe different pistons?--to still end up with a miss match----the whole reason was to have original calipers.
I sent two polite emails and still as yet received no answer, which says it all ! [so in the interest of fairness now's his chance]
I'm not bothered about the parts , its the lack of honesty !

Regards Steve

Did the listing actually say PAIR or was it two or a couple of... If the former you clearly have a case, if the latter maybe not.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:03 pm

I just received eBay NOS Italy 151’s
Nope, new Spanish. They seem good to fine, none of the casting slag etc. Though I will be polishing bits.
Seller claims (we spoke on the phone) he did not have them listed as NOS, luckily I screenshot as I go.
The last pair of NOS 151’s he sold was 5 years ago apparently. Claims he would not have misrepresented them. When you search history on ebay, there have not been NOS 151’s for years. So his story, replies from email, and a chat. Seems eBay is in the wrong.
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: