Navigation recommendation - beeline

PostPost by: SENC » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:38 pm

Like many, I've become accustomed to digital navigation aids and most of my old road maps have found their way to the circular file. I use my phone and either Waze or Google almost exclusively in my daily vehicles, but there is something about the simplicity of the Elan and Seven that won't let me mount a big, ugly, modern phone even temporarily. These cars also beg to be driven by road signs and conditions as seen through the windscreen rather than digital alerts. Having said that, there have been several times I've wished for a simple nav aid rather than stopping to pick up my phone to look for directions, general or specific.

I watch indiegogo and kickstarter from time-to-time, and a couple years ago noted a neat system for bikers from a british company, called Beelline Velo. They've since released a version for motorcycles called Beeline Moto, and I picked one up a month ago to trial - and think it is as good a fit for our cars as anything digital can be.

It is a small puck-shaped device that simply points in the right direction and notes the direction and distance to the next turn. It works via an app and gps on your phone, and you can download the app and try out the functionality without purchasing the device. As a bonus, the relatively basic app allows a simple way to plan a multi-waypoint (up to 23 I think) trip if you're trying to take the scenic route.

I haven't yet determined where I'll mount it on the Elan, but in the Seven it peeks out just below the dash and through the wheel - out of the way, inobtrusive, but easily visible when I want or need it and easily removable for use in another vehicle or on a bike. Thought some others here might find it useful.

https://beeline.co/pages/beeline-moto
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:46 pm

I’ve used a small traditional sat-nav in the Elan many times and it isn’t that intrusive, although I take on board what you say about 2015 tech (it’s an old sat-nav :lol: ) in a 1969 vehicle. That Beeline thing looks much better though and the motorcycle version may solve an issue I’ve been wondering about for a long trip on a 1970 vintage bike next year (should have been this year but Covid killed it). It’ll fit on the handlebars where a normal sat-nav - bike or car- either wouldn’t or would look ridiculous. I’ll be able to compare 1970 navigation technology (basically a published book of routes that you look up and try to remember) vs 50yrs of progress. Thanks for posting because I’d not come across it before.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: awatkins » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:54 pm

Fabulous product. I just ordered one. Thanks for sharing!

BTW I gather it’s just about 2” diameter, so should, or could me made to, blend in with the other 2” instruments.

Maybe they’ll make us a Smith’s version. :-)
awatkins
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:09 pm

awatkins wrote:Fabulous product. I just ordered one. Thanks for sharing!

Maybe they’ll make us a Smith’s version. :-)

There are 2” half V bezels on eBay. Im sure it wouldn’t be difficult to mock up some decals to give the effect of an additiibbal instrument.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:08 am

The Beeline got a good review in the BMW motorcycle-club's magazine, and given how demanding BMW riders are with their tech and gadgets, that seems like a pretty good endorsement.

That said, the car may be old but today's roads are not and I like the information (traffic, speed-traps, find a pub, etc.) that Waze gives, so I'll stick with that. I can always shut it off and put it away.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jabingb » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:36 am

Pricey but interesting
Jerry:
'62 S2 Elite | '69 S4 Elan FHC | '00 S1 Elise Sport 190
jabingb
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:40 am

Thank you for sharing this.

Very neat, minimalistic product which could solve many of the very real obsolence problems of screens in modern cars.

However, Beeline do not have a radar warning system...defeating 50% of the reason for buying such a device which means that yet another device is needed.

The cycling version makes more sense for those of us who do long rides as it is compact and unlike many cycling devices, it offers decent autonomy.
1965 Lotus Elan S2 26/4022 (originally Dutchess Lotus East, PA and NJ Area, USA)
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: awatkins » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:24 pm

“ Beeline do not have a radar warning system...defeating 50% of the reason for buying such a device “

Could you elaborate on that? Are you suggesting there is an alternative that combines GPS navigation with radar detection in one unit?
awatkins
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:58 pm

Happy to elaborate.

In Europe, radar detection is very illegal. However, it is possible to have "Apps" and GPS devices with the fixed and real time information indicating "danger zones". These are very useful as we have various different types of radars which are frequently accompanied by inexplicable speed limit changes, which make it quite difficult to be the perfect motorist.

[Monsieur Macron lost a friends when he lowered the speed limit to 80 kmh (49.7 UK MPH) on France's long straight out of urban area roads. Indeed, I decided to save the planet and restrict my movements to classic cars and bicycles when I received a ticket for doing just 86 kmh on an empty dual carriageway.

Unless I'm mistaken, Beeline offers navigation, but does offer not identify "danger zones". It needs to be accompanied by say a TomTom, a Coyote or an App on your "handheld device".

Let's wait for Beeline to do a version for car lovers...with "danger zones" :D
1965 Lotus Elan S2 26/4022 (originally Dutchess Lotus East, PA and NJ Area, USA)
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:15 pm

Not sure if it's the same type of 'danger zone' that Frog meant, but I very much like how Waze allows users to report various types of hazards and also the presence of police (as speed enforcement is most of what they do on US roadways). This nearly-live data is very helpful, to the point that I often use it even when I know where I'm going. I also drive hundreds of miles each week in my professional life, and it has probably saved me several moving violations. It will also re-route me when traffic delays happen, such as around slowdowns in construction areas or urban congestion.
2012 BMW R1200GS
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:14 am

Agree with the last 2 posts, which is why Waze is on nearly all the time I'm in a normal car.

But when out for a pleasure drive in the Elan or Seven, I find myself less concerned - partly because I'm generally on very low traffic back roads, partly because I'm rarely in a hurry in them, and partly because I'm reconnecting with what made me love driving 30 years ago... peace, relative quiet other than intake/exhaust/tires, and just the road ahead.

I admit that these cars are likely to seduce me into exceeding posted speeds from time to time, but also am more acutely aware of my surroundings in these cars than modern cars (ie., going 80 doesn't sneak up on you in either) so somehow I feel less likely of being ticketed. I've also reached an age that with decades of clean driving records a ticket wouldn't cause the dent it once would.

I wouldn't be surprised, though, if the app continues to develop that warnings may eventually be included.
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: c42 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:42 am

+1 for Waze, use it all the time.
c42
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:21 pm

Regarding the backroads, I neglected to say that for blats up in the north Georgia mountains and other areas of southern Appalachia I'm more likely to primarily use a paper map. Just better detail without having do all that zooming and panning with a small screen, especially when I do my usual thing of heading to the region with only the vaguest notion of what route I want to take (I'm lucky to have a real playground of a region full of hills and twisties nearby! It's easy to head up there and improvise and never be disappointed). The state-issue map is pretty decent and a company called Butler make some really good maps that are designed for motorcyclists but should be quite useful for sports-car drivers as well since they provide a guide to the 'fun' roads and are made of waterproof and tear-resistant stuff. USA-only though.

https://butlermaps.com/
2012 BMW R1200GS
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: