1962 Press Launch of the Elan

PostPost by: trw99 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:21 am

Something of a long shot, I know. But does anyone have a copy of the press pack handed out by Lotus at the press launch of the Elan on Wednesday 10th October 1962 at the Ford showroom in Regent Street, London, the week before the public launch at the Earls Court Motor Show?

I am writing an article on the launch. Any memories, ephemera or photos gratefully appreciated.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bill » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:07 pm

Tim

From the far side of Canada (eh), I can offer the Dec12, 1962 six page reprint article of Autocar magazine based on the Elan 1500 press introduction. I received it in a sales information package from Lotus Cars Limited as a result of my enquirery in January 1963.(There was no Lotus distributorship in Canada at that time)

I would be happy to forward a copy if you so wish.

I consequently acquired and have saved early articles and road test reports that came along in early 1963 - Road and Track, Canada Track and Traffic and Sports Car Graphic

I held back on my decision to purchase until Jim Clark won the Formula One championship for Lotus in October 1063, My passion at the time was hill climbing and my TR3 handled like a tractor.

I sent my deposit in early December '63- it left the factory in March '64, I had it shipped to Vancouver and I picked it up from the docks on May 8th 1964.

I still drive my pal on a weekly basis - we keep each other as young as possible.

Cheers

Bill Rathlef
Bill Rathlef
Vancouver Island, Canada
"Keep your stick on the ice, boys."
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Jentwistle3 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:31 am

What a great story!
Jentwistle3
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:34 am

Thanks, Bill.

I have copies of all those reports less the Canadian one, which I would appreciate having sight of, thank you.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bill » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:28 pm

Tim

Happy to do so. As I am an incompetent nincompoop sending electronic attachments through this forum could I have you PM me your mailing address so I can send you the copies of Canada Track & Traffic's December 1962 issue article.

I shall keep your address confidential.

Regards

Bill (26/0538)
Bill Rathlef
Vancouver Island, Canada
"Keep your stick on the ice, boys."
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: