Lotus Elan

Alternator conversion adjustment bracket - Again

PostPost by: Evante » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:36 pm

Hi All,

A search of the archives shows this topic has gotten alot of attention in the past. However, I don't see where anyone has come up with a good solution to purchase an adjustment bracket for a Denso alternator that is not one of the turnbuckle type. I have seen some homemade versions that look good but I would rather purchase one than have one made.

So, does anyone have a suggestion for where to obtain a good, non-turnbuckle adjustment bracket (strap) for an alternator in the US?

Thanks in advance,

Jay S.
Jay S.
1972 Federal Sprint, Colorado Orange/White
2005 Elise, sold
1988 Evante 140TC, sold
Evante
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:56 pm

There probably isn't a turn key one available as depends on the exact alternator you have and how it is mounted, which determine the relative position between timing case bolt and alternator adjust mount hole.

I lucked out and mine was close enough to inline i just made a slotted bracket out of flat Ali (possibly too weak but been fine so far). I could probably find a simple generic bracket from local auto parts store or somewhere like summit racing if I wanted but haven't seen the need.

If you don't want to make one then your probably just need to spend sometime to find an off the shelf one that might need to adjust (bend a little) whatever you buy to align it between the timing case and alternator.

Just make sure you have the re-enforcing bracket between the timing case bolts fitted.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:50 pm

I have modified one purchased from one of the big box auto parts stores. It's a chrome piece located
in the hot rod / American car section. It's curved with a long slot and all that was needed was cutting
it to length and drilling a hole for the mount.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
36/5727 pre airflow coupe
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bombay Racing Green » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:24 am

Hi Jay,

I’m just about to do the same conversion. After reading some of the posts here I saw someone use an alternator bracket from a ford pinto engine. I got mine off eBay but they are available from Burton Power (UK I know). https://www.burtonpower.com/edge-altern ... altbk.html
Hopefully the denso alternator will arrive today.
Pete
1970 S4 DHC
1971 S2 Europa
1968 +2
Bombay Racing Green
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:40 pm

I never liked the turnbuckle arrangement that was too close to the dipstick. I made a bracket that attaches to three of the head bolts & moves the turnbuckle to the rear of the alternator. See that attached photos.
Attachments
Alternator adjustiment bracket #3 (1 of 1).jpg and
_MG_2495.jpg and
Keith Marshall
69 S4 SE DHC RHD Original owner
saildrive2001
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: cbguerrajr » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:17 am

I like the turnbuckle adjustment better, if moved to the rear of the alternator as shown in the photos. I did the same setup except for not using a re-enforcement bracket. In all the decades that I've owned my S2, there never was one even when the original generator was fitted. perhaps the first owner had work done and that part was left off. It sounds like that was a weak point, so I better do something about it other than using wide and thick washers at either side of the timing chain cover.

Carlos G.
cbguerrajr
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gus » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:13 pm

The original timing chest was weaker than later ones. I have a version of the bolt in water pump that was welded from an old timing chest, and when you look at them back to back, the later one is much heavier in this area.
My alternator broke off the ear so I use the next higher bolt

If you want a simple strap, use a simple strap, the turnbuckle was designed to make adjustment easier
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Evante » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:23 pm

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I was looking at the Pinto bracket since it is a similar engine with an alternator. I also contacted Burton Power to see if they would sell their bracket, which looks good, without the generator, and if so, for how much with shipping to the US. I also like the one that Phil designed for his Sprint but that would require fabrication. I will see if I can find someone to do that, and again, if so how much it would cost.

Does anyone have any thoughts about the Dave Bean strap?

Jay S.
Jay S.
1972 Federal Sprint, Colorado Orange/White
2005 Elise, sold
1988 Evante 140TC, sold
Evante
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:15 pm

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g4049b

It might need cutting down and new hole drilling but cheap and easily available. Expect you could walk into AutoZone or similar and pick one up for not much more money.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:34 pm

^^ yep, same one I found at almost any big name auto parts store.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
36/5727 pre airflow coupe
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:18 pm

Evante wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts about the Dave Bean strap?
Jay S.

No complaints
B641AD4B-905B-4365-BF73-999C44446296.jpeg and
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:31 pm

At one of the past LOGs I observed that every car on the field had a different throttle cable arrangement - apparently this applies to alternators as well!

The turnbuckle has worked very nicely for me.
Mike
elancoupe
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: