Tires questions

PostPost by: Quynty » Sun May 03, 2020 3:43 pm

I have 16" inch wheels on my SV with 205-45-16 tires. I just ordered some lightweight apollo 13 inch wheels from Caterham. Just wanted to see if they make the car more nimble. My only concern is that I live on a dirt road with a clearance problem--it scrapes a bit with the wheels I have. Does anybody know what size 13 inch tires I will need to get about the same height? I was thinking 185-60-13, but maybe that won't be high enough. The total diameter of the 16 inch wheel\tire combination is 22.5 inches. I do have an aluminum skid plate fitted on the bottom of the sump. The engine is a Zetec. Thanks to any one who can help.
Quynty
New-tral

PostPost by: vstibbard » Sun May 03, 2020 11:49 pm

Think you should aim this question to the Lotus 7 club site as you will find other owners of your model able to reply with their experience.

V
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Mon May 04, 2020 12:09 am

Quynty wrote:I have 16" inch wheels on my SV with 205-45-16 tires. I just ordered some lightweight apollo 13 inch wheels from Caterham. Just wanted to see if they make the car more nimble. My only concern is that I live on a dirt road with a clearance problem--it scrapes a bit with the wheels I have. Does anybody know what size 13 inch tires I will need to get about the same height? I was thinking 185-60-13, but maybe that won't be high enough. The total diameter of the 16 inch wheel\tire combination is 22.5 inches. I do have an aluminum skid plate fitted on the bottom of the sump. The engine is a Zetec. Thanks to any one who can help.

Use a tire calculator like: https://tiresize.com/calculator/

You can compare diameters (radii), as a good first approximation of height differences. It won't give you the amount of compression of the tires due to loading, and resultant lowering of the car, however.

Here what the calculator says for the two different sizes you specified. It indicates that the 13 inch tires will lower the car by ~0.8 inches.
tire comps.jpg and
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: