BBC4 Rohan Silva on Chapman. podcast

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:51 am

Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:33 am

Thanks for the link! I missed the original broadcast!

How he [CC] managed to achieve all he did in his life is a mystery to me. Someone should make a movie of his life. We have just been subjected to a six hour series of Christine Keeler that could have been condensed into 20 minutes, I think the life of CC would be far more interesting - I guess the raeson it has never been done is the complete lack of sex scandal in his life...
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nigelrbfurness » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:52 pm

Not completely sex-free though. There is a well-known anecdote, often recounted, about how Lotus cars got their name... :-)
1970 S4SE/1760cc big valve/SA-AX block, L2s, 45DCOEs, 1978 Jensen GT, 1962 AH Sprite, Alfa-Romeo 159, 1966 Bristol Bus, 1947 AEC Regal bus.
nigelrbfurness
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:27 pm

HCA wrote:Thanks for the link! I missed the original broadcast!
I guess the raeson it has never been done is the complete lack of sex scandal in his life...

oh really... you need to see / hear the "Secret life of Colin Chapman" on YouTube. :roll:
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:33 pm

You are right - 'complete lack of' is bad wording, but whatever he did get up to never hit the bright lights like say, Profumo. If you talk about Chapman in a gathering, the immediate thoughts are his engineering skills with everyone paying homage. If you mention Delorean and many others, immediately everyone laughs and the subject is turned to wine, women and drugs.

I do think, regardless of any necessary or unnecessary embellishments, someone could make a great movie of his life, but would it be a box office hit..?
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:12 am

HCA wrote:If you mention Delorean and many others, immediately everyone laughs and the subject is turned to wine, women and drugs.

I've heard a few people speculate that he'd he lived a few more years he would have probably gone to prison for some shady aspects of the Delorean dealings.

I do think, regardless of any necessary or unnecessary embellishments, someone could make a great movie of his life, but would it be a box office hit..?

Hollywood can ANYBODY look exciting and sexy with a bit of artistic license! :mrgreen:
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: