Any Europa owners on here ?

PostPost by: DJW » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:07 am

With a space in the garage I’m getting itchy feet for another toy. This Banks Europa has caught my eye.
https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1195822

Have no problems with restomods when at sensible money. Thoughts on above car ?
1969 Elan S4 DHC
DJW
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: awatkins » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:15 pm

I’m one, but the best place to find one is the LotusEuropa group at groups.io.
awatkins
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:36 pm

i had one about 20yrs ago. it was a 5 speed black jps special livery and hat about 15000km on the dial: BUT it was on a lawn for 15yrs and there was even lawn inside. we smuggled into switzerland and i finally only used the head as the elan gave me enough work, so wifeee never saw it and i never drove it! sandy
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: DJW » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:57 pm

awatkins wrote:I’m one, but the best place to find one is the LotusEuropa group at groups.io.

Ta, just registered.
1969 Elan S4 DHC
DJW
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Esprit2 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:04 pm

+1 on the LotusEuropa group
https://groups.io/g/LotusEuropa

It would be inconsiderate to talk Europa on an Elan forum, and the best Europa info is over on 'LotusEuropa'. See you over there??

Regards,
Tim Engel
Europa daily driver.
Esprit2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: DJW » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:48 pm

Cheers Tim, although I would hope the fact we have a generic Lotus section on this forum means people like to discuss the wider range of cars ;)

Just popped over to suggested site. Wow I thought those kind of message boards died 20 years ago . Bit of a shock after being used to normal forums . Scrolling through pages reading relevant posts so thanks for sharing link guys.
1969 Elan S4 DHC
DJW
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Esprit2 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:43 am

By some people's opinions, "normal" and "forum" don't belong in the same sentence.
:wink:

Tim
Esprit2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:55 am

Compared to most motoring forums that are filled with people of strong opinions, arrogance, aggressiveness and very limited knowledge or experience, LotusElan.net is a standout exception of positive helpfulness and politeness and humour backed up by knowledge and experience in a huge range of areas. So yes LotusElan.net is not "Normal" in car forum terms :lol:

If you drive or are looking for a twin-cam Europa this is the place to be in addition to some of the other sites mentioned as there is better knowledge on twinks and other common issues with Elans here than anywhere in the world. The people here have a huge experience in all Lotus models as many have owned multiple types from original S1 7's to current Evoras in addition to their beloved Elans

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Esprit2 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:04 am

No arguement about the quality of LotusElan.net's people & content. I'm here because it's the best Elan site on the internet... despite it's forum format.

I just don't like forums by type. Facebook is the worst waste of time, forums are a step up, and mailing lists are the best... IMHO. It takes something special to alter that order, and LotusElan is special.

Having said that, there's nothing that can be done to elevate Facebook off the bottom of the order.

Regards,
Tim Engel
Esprit2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:22 am

Hi Tim

You are one of the examples of why this forum is so good. I first came across you on Esprit forums ( for my S1 Esprit) and your knowledge on Dellortos on Esprits and other early Esprit issues is second to none. Your presence on here is just an example of how LotusElan.net draws the best knowledge and people.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Esprit2 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:32 am

:lol: That's humorous, because I always look forward to reading your posts.

Tim
Esprit2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 74Twincam » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:43 am

Looks like a fun car- not too modified but well done for a driver, even the price initially seems realistic.
I’m a long time Europa TC Special owner myself. Here’s another site for your Europa research- www.lotuseuropa.org

+1 on Rohan’s comments about this group

-Bill
Bill
1972 Elan Sprint
1974 Europa Special
74Twincam
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: DJW » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:19 am

Thanks Gents.
1969 Elan S4 DHC
DJW
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:18 pm

Tim and Rohan,
You guys are both true gems and I hope you never go away.

Tim I remember you from my Esprit days- loved your knowledgeable input in the mailing list and your Excel worksheet for valve shims was super-helpful!

I like forums for how well they organise things. The weaknesses of them are poor search functions, and the fact that we illogical humans do the writing, which adds a fun degree of variability to trying to find things. For making a specific discussion easy to follow, they're aces.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RogerFrench » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:23 am

In answer to the original question, yes, I have a 1972 Europa TC, and if you like the Banks Europa, go for it,
I have also enjoyed the contributions of Tim and Rohan, here and elsewhere, but can't agree that the mailing list as a device is better in any way than a forum, and nowadays do my Europa stuff on www.lotuseuropa.org. Although I have learned valuable information from the mailing list, I find it altogether too clumsy a medium.
RogerFrench
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Next

Total Online: