1965 Seven S2

PostPost by: vstibbard » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:47 am

Heres the information I found when I started to research how to improve reliability of the Standard 10 axle, the man it seems in the US Chris Beebe.

He uses the Std 10 axle but replaces the original centre with a 4 speed TR7 centre I understand Spitfire and GT6 are the same centres, and he then shortens the TR7 axles. you have to fit bigger studs into the axle casing for the centre housing for the TR7 centre section there are a range of ratio's available, 3.9 or 4.1 typically used, but you can go longer if you plan on cruising distances using GT6 ratio. The TR7 centre has the same bolt pattern. Another worthwhile modification is to use a ball joint A Frame as this significantly reduces the twisting loads off the axle casing.

He also makes offset trailing arms with rod ends to allow adjustment and clear the tires better, has his own welded on spring perches that are much simpler and lighter, he ensures the axles are straight then adds some negative camber.

The beauty of this is it looks original, uses readily available cheap centre, in Australia you can get a TR7 from Wreckers for peanuts, has same standard 3.75" PCD, runs same brakes.

My car is as it left the factory, it does not have a stiffening plate fitted, although I have purchased one to fit on the axles I've sourced.

If you go down this route, I'd be very interested in getting his details and purchasing the axles, wheels studs etc.

Cheers

Vaughan
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Cheeser » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:07 pm

Henry,
I'm new to this forum and found your car interesting and looking rather like mine.
I have 1962 Lotus Seven S2 but with A series which I have owned since 1974.
Originally it was my only car and was used every day getting to building sites in the south of england regularly clocking up 100 miles a day. After about two years of hard use 'Beano' was taken of the road to sort out many problems the last straw being a radius arm pulling out of the chassis, a common problem!
Beano was returned to the road in 1988 after much work and has been continuously used since then in all weathers, although not used as an only car.
So yes I believe in using my car so to that end although I try to keep her looking fairly original there are many small modifications from original spec to try to make her usable in current traffic, with modern fuels and many substandard replacement parts.
Picking up on some of the points made in this thread, these are some of the things that I have found have suited me and Beano, they won't suit everyone
The original TR axle leaked, it cracked the casing, so this was repaired and a traditional plate welded in place. This has proved adequate with an engine that puts out about 100 bhp, but I have always used 145 x13 tyres. Must admit that an original casing with modified TR7 halfshafts etc looks like good option.Originally a 4.55 diff was fitted but was soon changed to a 4.11 which is a much better match to the engine/cam/gearbox and road use to which the car is put.
Chassis is strengthened, in particular gearbox mount and rear radius arm pickup points.
I have found current points etc to be problematic so fitted 'electronic' points years ago although more recently have changed to a CSI distributor which not only looks original but has a choice of different advanced curves to not only suit the tune of the engine but also the current lesser fuels . It can easily be adjusted by trial and error or preferably on the rolling road.
Currently just finishing fitting a modern electric cooling fan on the engine side of the rad having found the original hope and pray fan pretty useless in modern heavy traffic
I've also found Mick at xtra special sevens good and helpful, recently bought and fitted a 'swirl pot' from him.
Seats are non standard, drivers squab altered to give better leg support especially more comfortable for longer journeys. I hope to redo the seats soon with white piping to make them look more original but keep the padding similar to retain some comfort.
Tonneau needs replacement ( never use the hood ) again with white piping.
Numerous other little mods done and need doing....... but that's part of what a Seven is..... and of course the driving!

R
Attachments
IMG_0628.JPG and
Cheeser
New-tral

PostPost by: SENC » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:46 pm

Thanks for sharing Cheeser, great looking 7!!

Still deciding what to do on the axle - looking for a TR7 axle now to get a handle on costs, will then decide whether to go modified TR7 or to strip down and rebuild and rebrace the TR10 axle as-is. I must admit, a 3.89 ratio as most TR7s had is somewhat appealing.

I can definitely recommend Redline's tonneau, have been very pleased with it. I have what I think are the original top, sticks, and doors, but haven't had them on and just don't see using them either. I have contemplated a half-top, but would obviously need to install a roll bar - which is probably a good idea for safety anyway. Have you tried wind deflectors on yours - any good?
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:11 am

What year is yours Cheeser?

Our seven had wind deflectors fitted , I've taken them off as one was lent on by an onlooker and cracked the mounting. I understand they're available from Redline.

I've the original hood, tonneau and doors for my car, in good order, other than clear screen but I've been told its possible to clean/polish the clouding off. The seats bases were changed with more support under the knee's which I like.

I'm also contemplating roll bar, I'm interested in how its supported at the rear as there's not much structure to fix to.

Cheers

V
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Cheeser » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:57 pm

IMG_5303.JPG and

Henry,

As you can see I favour using deflectors, half doors and flying helmet.
Although I fitted a hood in case it was needed on our wedding day, it was a beautiful day and beautiful weather for the 25mile blast from church to reception!
I have never really used the hood or side screens as I find they impede vision badly and the hood is very claustrophobic and that's without talking of the SCCR gearbox!
The screen pillars have unusual 'pips' there being two keyhole slots on a hinged plate on the side screens.
I have made simple fixed deflectors which slot onto these 'pips' , adjusted for the best compromise for me. the deflectors are not hinged and do not touch the bodywork like others I have seen.
As an aside I found that when I removed my beard I got a very unpleasant blast of air up my nostrils, the beard was soon grown back!

Vaughan,

My 7 left the works in June '62 without engine and wasn't registered for the road until early '64, a long build or what else happened to her, also rather unusual to have an A series by this date?

I do not know much history before I bought Beano, should have researched years ago maybe?

What I do know is the an early log book shows that an XSP engine was installed, long gone by the time I got her, just a very tired 948 in it's place.

Also during the rebuild it became very obvious that she had had a very heavy shunt at some time, it would be interesting to know what happened.

Initially I fitted an 'Aley' roll bar and this mounted on the top of the rear tube, not very good I'm sure, The current bar fixes to brackets on the vertical tubes behind the rear panel just above 'boot' floor level which would appear to be stronger.

I think a half hood would be very useful in heavy rain/traffic but would entail fitting a higher bar, would be good to have a higher bar anyway!

R
Cheeser
New-tral

PostPost by: vstibbard » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:13 am

Thanks, the car looks terrific, mine left the factory in same aluminium and red configuration. I'm slowly finding and replacing Smiths instruments to original AC ones where the have been replaced over time.

Cheers

Vaughan
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:34 am

Pulled the cam cover this evening to check valve/tappet clearances, do another compression test and a leakdown test. Though running strong, had some notchiness at idle and low rpm/low load running and idle mix adjustment just wasn't working right on 3 and 4.

Compression test was perfect, 175s across the board, but leakdown test showed some air loss on 3 - then discovered weak valve springs. This likely explains the challenges I was having adjusting idle mixture screws on 3 and 4. So, will start the search for valve springs and will pull the engine in the next few weeks. This will give a good opportunity for a more complete inspection, and to pull the gearbox for a good cleaning and rebuild.

valves.jpg and
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:30 am

Hello Henry,

I use the same valve train in my Formula Ford. Jay Ivey sells a matched set of valve springs for Formula Ford for a very reasonable price. They hold up really well to 7000 rpm on a Cortina GT cam.

www.iveyengines.com. Contact Jay or Cameron. They also sell a very high quality gasket set and do excellent head work, to full rebuilds, race and street.

Regards,
Dan
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:00 pm

Thanks Dan, will add Iskey along with Ivey and Bean to the list of contacts as I determine needs. Also sent a note to Tony Ingram, who is very helpful.

Got the car up on stands today, removed wheels, seats, and anything else in the way or that I might get grubby, wrote out my initial engine out plan, and started on the ancillaries. Radiator and swirl pot out, distributor out, fuel pump off. Engine oil draining as I call it an evening. Removal of the starter will finish that side, then to the left - maybe one evening this week, maybe next weekend.

engine removal prep.jpg and

Which brings me to a question for all of you who grew up with RHDs - manuals and other materials often refer to the left side as the nearside. For example, the Lotus Seven Workshop Manual details that the tap for draining water from the engine is on the nearside of the cylinder block toward the rear. That would make sense to me if an LHD, where the left side would be near the driver. What is the left near to if not to the driver? Why not say left side?
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:32 pm

I believe near side is a reference to the side of the car nearest the curb or edge of the road. Which is normally the passenger side of the car, so left side of car for rhd.

Offside is the side furthest away from the road edge or curb. So drivers side of the car or right side for rhd.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:46 pm

mbell wrote:I believe near side is a reference to the side of the car nearest the curb or edge of the road. Which is normally the passenger side of the car, so left side of car for rhd.

Offside is the side furthest away from the road edge or curb. So drivers side of the car or right side for rhd.

Yes its a weird reference to use, especially on an international forum where offside and near side are different for RHD and LHD vehicles
. Just call it left or right side or maybe port and starboard :lol:
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:58 am

Thanks mbell, that makes perfect sense. As long as I can remember that Englanders drive on the wrong side of the road! :twisted: :lol: :twisted:

We're boaters, too, Rohan, so port and starboard might indeed be most natural and clear!
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:50 am

Lotus is more of an aircraft anyway!
Port and starboard, fore and aft work!
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:13 pm

rgh0 wrote:Yes its a weird reference to use, especially on an international forum where offside and near side are different for RHD and LHD vehicles

Yeah i think it one of localization things that are so common people who gre up with it don't give it a second thought. Like Jubilee clip...

SENC wrote:As long as I can remember that Englanders drive on the wrong side of the road! :twisted: :lol:

They may drive on the wrong side of the road but they drive on the right side of the car! :twisted:
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Cheeser » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:19 pm

Excuse me but I think we drive on the correct side of the road and if you drive iconic British cars, then you need to understand which is the nearside of the car!! :lol:
Cheeser
New-tral

PreviousNext

Total Online: