Any advice from current or previous owners of a Lotus Elan s

PostPost by: Lyriond » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:56 am

I've got a yearning to buy a Lotus Elan M100 - I understand that the Isuzu engine in them is reliable but I'm concerned regarding
everything else/general build quality - can anyone offer any advice from their own experience of owning one regarding cost of maintaining them,
reliability etc

thanks
Lyriond
New-tral

PostPost by: Fred Talmadge » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:29 pm

First of all you have the wrong forum. You want Lotus Elan Central.
Fred Talmadge
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Rob P » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:51 pm

Having owned a high mileage M100 for a few years (now sold) I can confirm that the Isuzu engine is pretty bullet proof, there are a few things to be wary of such as the sump can be vulnerable, the Cam angle sensor as well as the Throttle position sensor which can wear.
The Hand Brake system is pretty poor and can cause issues and needs adjustment regularly, also watch out for rusting of the side walls of the internal chassis due to the sound proofing under the carpets holding moisture which gets into the car as the seals on the hoods are difficult to maintain.
As the previous poster has stated the place for the best info on these cars is indeed Lotus Elan Central, try the link below, I was a member during my ownership and the guys on the website are both friendly and knowledgeable

https://www.lotuselancentral.com

Great car to drive, I had loads of fun with mine
Best of luck
Rob P
Simplify and add lightness

Lotus Elan S4 Coupe - Wedgewood Blue
Lotus Elise S1 - Racing Green
Rob P
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: