So who?s the worst serial Lotus owner here then ?

PostPost by: tvacc » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:39 am

Seeing Ross's list I have to laugh a bit as I honestly cant remember all the Lotus cars that have passed through my hands. I stopped counting at about 30.....
Tony Vaccaro
LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York)
http://www.lotusowners.com
Drive Fast Take Chances
ElanGTS, 93 Caterham, 05 Elise,
99 Elise190, 05 Elise, 2005 MiataSpeed Turbo
tvacc
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Slowtus » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:54 am

tvacc wrote:Seeing Ross's list I have to laugh a bit as I honestly cant remember all the Lotus cars that have passed through my hands. I stopped counting at about 30.....

Yes, but you moved beyond 'disease' to 'addiction' many years ago :D

Why do people buy Lotus - because they can.

Why do people buy more than one Lotus - because they can.

Now, that said...I moved on from the admittedly small Elan to bigger models, so does size matter to me?

AND...

I prefer ALL of my Lotus (there is no plural) to be yellow , so does my OCD (obviously chromatic disorder) determine my choice of dye?
Slowtus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: jabingb » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:15 am

Pretty sure I'm beyond forty, if I find the list I'll update it as I can't recall them all at this point, definitely an addiction, but also an appreciation for thoughtful engineering!
Jerry:
'61 S2 Elite | '69 S4 Elan FHC | '00 S1 Elise Sport 190
jabingb
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tvacc » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:20 am

3 Caterhams
8 Europas
8 M100 Elans
10 early Elans
5 early Sevens
2 Elises
1 Esprit S2

So I think that is 37 that I remember. So at 40 you got me beat.

I have turned probably 100 to others and given others the opportunity to buy a car I was looking at. I am always trying to put others into Lotus cars.

I drove lots of other sports cars thinking of buying them including XKEs, TR 4, Tr6, MGBs, Nothing ever matched my Lotus cars in my opinion.

I should have been a Lotus dealer.
Tony Vaccaro
LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York)
http://www.lotusowners.com
Drive Fast Take Chances
ElanGTS, 93 Caterham, 05 Elise,
99 Elise190, 05 Elise, 2005 MiataSpeed Turbo
tvacc
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:40 am

I have lotus logo (ACBC) socks
Two pairs :D
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: toggle45 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:04 am

My first love. One and not quite done. We've been together 52 years. :D
Weldon
the dreaded PO himself
toggle45
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:19 am

mbell wrote:I must be the best owner as still on my one and only Lotus!

Getting very tempted by an early Evora as my daily but being held back by the need to put two kids in the back for school run and needing the drivers seat where i can get in the car let alone drive it.

I take my kids all over in the Evora.........with car seats.....(theyre 4 and 3).......
altho its easier now as their legs now hang over the edge of the seat rather than sticking straight out.......lol
and I managed to get a pram in the boot and 2 weekend bags in there too.......

the best thing is taking them to the shops and parking in the parent and child spaces.......
I had one woman come over and berate me for parking my sportscar in spaces for parents with children......
only to see her face change and watch her sheepishly slope off as I pulled a child out of the back
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: DJW » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:27 am

Wow some serious number of cars for some :shock: Yes you definitely have an addiction problem :lol:

Collage of my 8 to date, albeit mainly later stuff. It?s taken me a while but I?ve realised Old is best ;)

Current
1970 Elan Plus 2 S

Previous
    Exige 380 Sport
    Exige 350 Sport
    Evora 400 Auto
    Esprit GT3
    Exige V6S
    2-11 SC
    Evora S
    Elite 501
Last edited by DJW on Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1969 Elan S4 DHC
DJW
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:41 am

How about "car years" of Lotus ownership that's the real measure :lol: - I am up to 120.

44 on the Elan S4, 39 on the Plus 2S 130/5 and 37 on the Esprit S1

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: denicholls2 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:09 pm

DJW wrote:
mark030358 wrote:And my favourite?

Europa Twin Cam ....

Do expand why Mark. Next on my list, to sit beside Elan me thinks, but have never driven one.

I'm also interested in the expansion, but because I'd have thought you'd prefer the S2 over the Twincam. Or is your S2 stock? Mine's a Hermes and has more torque at lower RPM than the Twincams do.
denicholls2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:33 pm

Currently own:
S2 Super Seven
S2 26R
S1 Elan
S2 Elan
Previously owned:
S2 Europa
S4 Elan SE DHC
S3 Elan SE Coupe
S1 Elan
S2 Elan

And I keep thinking about Elise... or something in that line...
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: DJW » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:07 pm

Don?t think I would do that well in length of ownership as have been as low as 10 days for latest Alpine, 3 weeks for a Jag F Type, 6 weeks for 501 Elite and 3 months for Esprit and V6S. However I did keep the last Exige 18 months . I do however aim to keep the Elan for much longer !
1969 Elan S4 DHC
DJW
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mark030358 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:20 pm

I just think they have stood the test of time, truly a car that was way way ahead of anything similar in its day. They look sensational, even today, drive and handle well simple to maintain with the obvious foibles of the rear drive shafts/susoension. The cabin is well equipped and once your inside, much like the 380, you just feel at home. A bit light at speed, but to be honest thats not what they are about. I think they handle better then Elans (sacrilege on this forum)

A bit harder to get into than the Exige tho....

Pound for pound just excellent, I'd do a deal with my Sprint against a genuine JPS Special if I could find one.

Px anyone??? :lol:

cheers
Mark

DJW wrote:
mark030358 wrote:And my favourite?

Europa Twin Cam ....

Do expand why Mark. Next on my list, to sit beside Elan me thinks, but have never driven one.
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:55 pm

theelanman wrote:I take my kids all over in the Evora.........with car seats.....(theyre 4 and 3).......

As with most things in life, I am the problem, specifically my legs in this case. I sat in a one that someone at work has, the seat was about as far forward as it could be for me to drive it and there was may 1/2"-1" between the driver seat back. Which is just too little to get one of the kids (2.5 + 5yrs) in there on a daily basis.

It might be possible to mess around with seat positions etc to find something that might just work but i doubt it will. So they only way it would work would be to put the 5yr old in the front but need to do more research on that.

Really I need to find one for sale locally where I can go and mess around seeing if I can get car seats in.

theelanman wrote:the best thing is taking them to the shops and parking in the parent and child spaces.......
I had one woman come over and berate me for parking my sportscar in spaces for parents with children......
only to see her face change and watch her sheepishly slope off as I pulled a child out of the back

:lol: If think I'd get a few looks/comment at school drop off if i did get one.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: DJW » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:01 pm

Re Evora yes I had same scenario where the seat in correct position for me (6 ft) would mean no chance of anyone behind me. Saying that on S1 Evora I had the 2+0 model so was irrelevant

Talking about people?s responses when pulling up in certain parking bays, I have a disabled daughter who loves cars, so have often pulled up in one of my sports cars into a disabled bay with disabled badge and daughter in passenger seat. The initial response from joe public is ...let?s say interesting. Taking my daughter across the Severn Bridge when it was chargeable and presenting the disabled badge for free crossing raised a few eyebrows as well.

The best one was at Tesco?s in disabled bay when some person decided to challenge me and my daughter. When I pointed out my daughter was disabled their comment was ?well she doesn?t disabled? , to which my reply was ?and you don?t look ignorant, but goes to show looks are deceptive?. They didn?t get it :roll: :D
1969 Elan S4 DHC
DJW
Second Gear
Second Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: