engine numbers for my early Elan

PostPost by: GLB » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:28 am

I am tearing down my engine to reseal, leaks oil from everywhere. I have posted before about a lack of numbers. My car, 26/0045 should have had engine LP 51 but I could find no numbers. Here are some pictures of the numbers I did find. Back of head, underneath of head and block. Thankfully no corrosion of head, and it is an early head with the half cylinders cast in the area near the spark plugs. The compression was good and the valve clearances also within speck, and did not smoke, excellent oil pressure, but leaks everywhere one can leak. Hope to change water pump because I am here and put it back together. Any help with numbers is appreciated. Gary.
Attachments
dscn4934.jpg and
dscn4937.jpg and
dscn4940.jpg and
dscn4941.jpg and
GLB
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:31 pm

Cant help with the numbers but just out of interest what is that bolt/nut? that appears to be on the sump.
Attachments
sump-bolt.jpg and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GLB » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:32 pm

That hole was for a mechanical oil temperature guage. The hole was plugged when I got the car but when I removed the sump a copper temperature bulb was rolling around in the sump. It looked just like the bulb for the water temp. guage sender that fits below the thermostat. There was also some drill swarf so it looks like the bulb was drilled out. The plug bung was welded into the pan. If only these old cars could talk. Thanks for your interest. Gary
GLB
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: