What did you do to your Lotus today...

PostPost by: prezoom » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:05 am

Yea Ben. What an accomplishment, especially with all you travels for work. The enjoyment time is just beginning.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:13 am

Excellent, Ben, I know that feels great!!!
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sploder90 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:30 am

[quote="The Veg"]*I DROVE IT!!!*

Well done. Feels great doesn't it :D

Now done a shade over 90 miles and my jaw is aching from the grin.
Sploder90
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:40 pm

Congratulations! :D :D :D Even the cat came to watch!
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:47 pm

Finally got the Elan out of hibernation (been too focused on the Seven and haven't had enough garage space for both until just now). It wasn't without a little excitement. I checked the oil before leaving but not the radiator, and about 1/2 mile down the road I notice temps heading north way too quickly. I started to assume it was because I'd not had much airflow (slow and stop/start) and since I was about to get on a highway that it would level off - but the rapidity of the rise made me stop. Thankfully - I was nearly a couple quarts low on water/coolant! After a short highway jaunt as I turned at a major intersection about halfway home, the revmeter dropped to 0 and I realized I'd lost all power - no engine, no electrical. Of course, no tools for this short and unplanned drive, so reloosened and tightned my battery cut-off switch and jiggled everything I could easily put my hands on and a few minutes later the car started right back up. A couple miles and 5 minutes later and I was home, now with a few gremlins to search for in the near future.

Here is a glimpse through my garage window, Seven and Elan together for the first time...
IMG_20200823_172207.jpg and
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:54 pm

More results following yesterday's big news. Today I got a safety-belt installed, cleaned the glass, and went for a shakedown-run near home. First thing was a stop at a nearby petrol station since the tank only had about three gallons in it and I was curious to see if anything would leak with more. Nothing did!

The car did well overall, and I was pleased that it handled well and the front alignment seemed to be mostly correct. I did notice during a brief blat up to about 60 MPH on a large divided road that some jiggles on the steering wheel didn't translate into much response from the car, so some further refinement may be needed. Or maybe the missing bonnet was causing a little aerodynamic lift? I doubt it but we'll see. It's not getting put back on until I'm done with a few other jobs anyway.

The sticking clutch master cylinder was annoying at times but did seem to improve some with use; time will tell if it clears up altogether or I get sufficiently impatient with it to buy a new one.

Two disappointments: after about ten miles I noticed that the blend of funky smells was changing a bit and at a stop I saw a little smoke. More of it at the next stop, coming from the front-right corner, and the brakes got a little soft. Uh-oh. I made for home immediately at that point (thankfully I was less than a mile away), and noticed that it didn't really want to get above around 2500 RPM at as I got onto my street. I recall too that mid-range acceleration seemed tepid earlier in the run.

Upon parking at home I found that the front-right caliper was leaking a little, which doesn't really surprise me considering that I have no idea when or if the calipers have ever been serviced. Will order some caliper-rebuild kits and new pads and install them before driving again.
Attachments
IMG_20200823_160538__01.jpg and
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:54 pm

Looks really good, Ben. Unlike the rears, rebuilt front calipers are generally available - so as you get them off if the're looking rougher than you expect you can send them off for exchange for a rebuilt pair for not too much more than the cost of parts to rebuild yourself.
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:55 pm

Well done The Veg!!
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MrBonus » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:58 pm

Hooray! Now begins the endless pursuit of keeping everything functioning at the same time.
The Veg wrote:More results following yesterday's big news. Today I got a safety-belt installed, cleaned the glass, and went for a shakedown-run near home. First thing was a stop at a nearby petrol station since the tank only had about three gallons in it and I was curious to see if anything would leak with more. Nothing did!

The car did well overall, and I was pleased that it handled well and the front alignment seemed to be mostly correct. I did notice during a brief blat up to about 60 MPH on a large divided road that some jiggles on the steering wheel didn't translate into much response from the car, so some further refinement may be needed. Or maybe the missing bonnet was causing a little aerodynamic lift? I doubt it but we'll see. It's not getting put back on until I'm done with a few other jobs anyway.

The sticking clutch master cylinder was annoying at times but did seem to improve some with use; time will tell if it clears up altogether or I get sufficiently impatient with it to buy a new one.

Two disappointments: after about ten miles I noticed that the blend of funky smells was changing a bit and at a stop I saw a little smoke. More of it at the next stop, coming from the front-right corner, and the brakes got a little soft. Uh-oh. I made for home immediately at that point (thankfully I was less than a mile away), and noticed that it didn't really want to get above around 2500 RPM at as I got onto my street. I recall too that mid-range acceleration seemed tepid earlier in the run.

Upon parking at home I found that the front-right caliper was leaking a little, which doesn't really surprise me considering that I have no idea when or if the calipers have ever been serviced. Will order some caliper-rebuild kits and new pads and install them before driving again.
1967 Lotus Elan Coupe - Super Safety
2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
1973 Ford F100 4x4
MrBonus
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: steve lyle » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:44 am

My next project is to convert from whatever shock/spring is on the car now (only a couple of POs before me might know) with shocks adjustable for damping and ride height with 12" 115 lb/in springs.

I checked out RDE and DBE and went with what DBE has been providing for years - AVO shocks withe the 115 springs.

The firsts challenge is that DBE doesn't mount the springs for you. Ken @ DBE sent me a picture of how he does it - using a std external spring compressor hooked at the bottom on a bar through the lower shock mount, and hooked to "S" hooks at the upper end of the springs.

I borrowed a spring compressor from Autozone and followed Ken's process, except used nylon strapping instead of S hooks to attach the compressor.

So now the springs are on the shocks.

The next challenge - the shocks didn't come with a wrench to adjust the height, I guess I need to call Ken back and see about that...

And then get them on the car - any tricks to doing that?

IMG_0497.JPG and
Steve Lyle
1972 Elan Sprint 0248k @ https://www.mgexp.com/registry/1972-Lot ... 48K.30245/
1972 MGB Roadster @ https://www.mgexp.com/registry/1972-MG- ... 842G.4498/
2007 BMW 335i Coupe
steve lyle
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:55 am

steve lyle wrote:My next project is to convert from whatever shock/spring is on the car now (only a couple of POs before me might know) with shocks adjustable for damping and ride height with 12" 115 lb/in springs.

I checked out RDE and DBE and went with what DBE has been providing for years - AVO shocks withe the 115 springs.

The firsts challenge is that DBE doesn't mount the springs for you. Ken @ DBE sent me a picture of how he does it - using a std external spring compressor hooked at the bottom on a bar through the lower shock mount, and hooked to "S" hooks at the upper end of the springs.

I borrowed a spring compressor from Autozone and followed Ken's process, except used nylon strapping instead of S hooks to attach the compressor.

So now the springs are on the shocks.

The next challenge - the shocks didn't come with a wrench to adjust the height, I guess I need to call Ken back and see about that...

And then get them on the car - any tricks to doing that?

IMG_0497.JPG
Steve,

What’s the condition of the rest of the suspension: bushings, trunnions, ball joints, rack mounts, etc ?

Refreshing these items can really tighten up the overall handling to go with the adjustable stiffer springs/new shocks. But, maybe these have been addressed before.

When I did mine a couple years back they were the originals. Much crisper now.

Then, there is also the rear.

But, this can be a slippery slope- one thing leading to another.
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Sploder90 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:48 pm

More yesterday than today:
Tidied up a bit of wiring, made a boot carpet out of some black stuff I had in stock, straightened the steering wheel on the splines so it now faces up when the car is going forwards and hopefully have also cured the odd rubbing noise.. clean the horn connector and then rubbed a bit of pencil over it and it seems to have quietened things down.

Can also turn the steering without the horn sounding on its own. Result :D

planning for DRL is underway...
Sploder90
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: steve lyle » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:18 am

1owner69Elan wrote:[Steve,

What’s the condition of the rest of the suspension: bushings, trunnions, ball joints, rack mounts, etc ?

Refreshing these items can really tighten up the overall handling to go with the adjustable stiffer springs/new shocks. But, maybe these have been addressed before.

When I did mine a couple years back they were the originals. Much crisper now.

Then, there is also the rear.

But, this can be a slippery slope- one thing leading to another.

Thanks, and good point.

I've got no significant concerns about the suspension given how it 'feels' - supposedly the car was rebuilt a few years before I got it. I'm planning on taking the body off for a repaint/likely color change next spring - I'll go through every bit of the kit at that time in any event.
Steve Lyle
1972 Elan Sprint 0248k @ https://www.mgexp.com/registry/1972-Lot ... 48K.30245/
1972 MGB Roadster @ https://www.mgexp.com/registry/1972-MG- ... 842G.4498/
2007 BMW 335i Coupe
steve lyle
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:23 am

Sploder90 wrote:
planning for DRL is underway...

As you design your DRL’s you may find these useful.

https://www.morimotohid.com/morimoto-x- ... quantity=1

Functionality:

1. DRL’s on automatically with ignition.
2. Switch off with headlights on
3. Switch off on same side as directional indicator flashing. Some jurisdictions require this so as to not confuse turn signaling.
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Sploder90 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:45 pm

Thanks, looks interesting and have seen some similar solutions including indicator and dimming functions.

The Ring set up I have seen comes with a module to dim when other lights are on.
My normal regulations source in the UK is the IVA (Individual Vehicle Approval) manual which are applicable if you build a new car / kit etc and the manuals (M1 in this case) are freely available via .GOV.UK so a good resource of info and easy to find.
C&U and UK lighting regs are others I have used in the past.
The basic requirements for DRL are the position (height / distance from edge angles of visibility and then the switching eg extinguish with dip beam.

Got a few other "little" jobs to sort out first :lol:
Sploder90
Second Gear
Second Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: