What did you do to your Lotus today...

PostPost by: alanr » Wed May 13, 2020 4:17 pm

661 wrote:I have had one of my elans pipes done the same as yours, yet to find out if it works.
The rather rough surface does mark easily when you have the downpipe insertion fight.

I have the cylinder head off my car at the moment that was why I took the opportunity to have them done. So hopefully not much of a fight going back. They came out easily when I took them off.

Alan.
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Wed May 13, 2020 5:47 pm

I drove to Gosfield in Essex from Writtle in my +2 with my wife. It was great to be out again in the car after weeks of inactivity!
We went for our exercise walk in Gosfield - quite a pleasant village.

Dave Chapman.
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Wed May 13, 2020 10:39 pm

Looks great but thats an exorbitant price to pay, if timing etc all correct the under bonnet temperatures should be within range Lotus expected as these manifolds were fitted to Sprints and SE from new, and as such manageable even if higher with stainless, I use thin wall stainless extractors on my cars, these do transfer more heat, if tuned correctly the temperatures are acceptable.

For that money I'd have fitted reflective matting to the surrounding body surfaces.

Regards

Vaughan
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Sat May 16, 2020 7:26 am

Busy day today....

My 9 year old son fitted mesh trumpet screens to our 62 S2 7 today, battery is on the conditioner as the lockdown was eased where we live in Sydney, local trips only at moment, thankfully we're on the Northern Beaches with a number of national parks with lovely roads nearby which will be just fine.

And I've been busy, I have the chassis booked in for blasting and painting at beginning of June. Started making up brake lines, and been getting all suspension parts out for S1 to see what I need together ordered. All uprights, brake mounting plates, steering arms, wishbones, diff tie rods, rear bolt on hubs etc have been prepared and electroless nickel plated, steering rack reconditioned Koni's ready with rear shortened, I'll either fit sliding splines as its GTS spec, or as I'll mainly use it for road and track days I may fit CV's as the maintenance is lower.

So far I need wishbone bushes all round, rear lotocone mounts and a decision on wether to buy a set of TTR Fast Road/ Track day springs. I've previously used the original 26R spec for road use, 90/100 125/130 depending on suppliers offerings.

Any experience, feedback or alternative recommendations welcome.

Vaughan
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Sat May 16, 2020 1:06 pm

Went out for a forty mile run in the S3. It has a tuned motor with Q420 cams and head work by Mr. Stagg. With the close ratio box and the 3.5 diff it's a real pleasure to drive.

I followed Rohan's advice on sealants and so far it's oil tight. I'll go round the engine with a torque wrench after I've done a few more miles.

The servo was rebuilt by Classicar Automotive, again I am astonished how good Elan brakes are.

I have a couple of small niggles, the TTR steering column joint is huge and the top nut and bolt rub on the bottom rad hose. I also have a small fuel weep from number 1, better check the float height.

I then took my standard Sprint out, whilst nice, it felt positively sluggish and heavy compared to the S3. It's on rebuilt Koni's, the S3 is on TTR fast road/comfort suspension, which is pretty damned good.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Sat May 16, 2020 1:55 pm

Sorry but i don't understand a small wept from no1. If it is the float level it will be no1 and 2.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Sat May 16, 2020 3:16 pm

There was a small drop of fuel under the joint between the Mishab plate/carb and number 1 inlet. The other three seem to be dry.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mark030358 » Sat May 16, 2020 5:53 pm

Went into the garage and found the gearbox had tmultiplid.... :lol:
Attachments
IMG_8496.jpeg and
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Sat May 16, 2020 6:31 pm

Nice, does the eclat box have the wide input bearing?
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mark030358 » Sat May 16, 2020 10:02 pm

Posted a photo on the other thread I’m running, but here it is again as I don’t know...
Attachments
0271CAEC-97D3-4E83-814E-E73CA575D69B.jpeg and
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: EPC 394J » Sun May 17, 2020 10:18 am

Mazzini
I have a couple of small niggles, the TTR steering column joint is huge and the top nut and bolt rub on the bottom rad hose.

I had the same. Check and/or adjust the position of your steering rack. (Then re-adjust your tracking if necessary)
Where, then, lies the answer? In choice. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life?

Plus 2S

BLL 315H in white.
EPC 394J
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sun May 17, 2020 10:50 am

What did I do to my Lotus today?

Sold it.

Hunt is now on for the next car!
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sun May 17, 2020 1:54 pm

EPC 394J wrote:Mazzini
I have a couple of small niggles, the TTR steering column joint is huge and the top nut and bolt rub on the bottom rad hose.

I had the same. Check and/or adjust the position of your steering rack. (Then re-adjust your tracking if necessary)

I have a big fat piece of yellow plastic tubing about 6 inches long slipped onto my lower coolant hose, so that the steering can rub away to its hearts content, it'll never get though that :D

It was a piece left over from when the Gas service people replaced the entire gas pipe in the street. The yellow wall thickness is about 1/3 inch.

For those in the USA Gas here does not mean petrol, it's the smelly vapour you burn for cooking or in my case in the central heating boiler.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Sun May 17, 2020 2:29 pm

JonB wrote:What did I do to my Lotus today?

Sold it.

Hunt is now on for the next car!

Well done! :D
I am guessing that the hunt isn't on for another +2 ?...or even an Elan seeing all your spare parts in the for sale section?

Alan
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sun May 17, 2020 5:16 pm

What will be... will be!
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext