PostPost by: alan.barker » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:03 am

Can you 3D print Zamakl :wink:
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:15 am

Oooh that advert. Typical Lotus sales hyperbole. They did like to stretch the truth! Would you put a carry cot in the back? The mind boggles.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:30 am

JonB wrote:Oooh that advert. Typical Lotus sales hyperbole. They did like to stretch the truth! Would you put a carry cot in the back? The mind boggles.

Back in the day Lotus had all of the licenses - artistic, poetic, creative :D
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:06 pm

alan.barker wrote:Can you 3D print Zamakl :wink:
Alan

Wouldn't want to but printing from something less brittle or Mazzini's suggestion of machining the parts (eg from brass) could solve the problem for ever!

Previously I've bought the whole handle assembly (Weston Body Hardware Ltd 7/03854) and used just the brackets (the pins will drive out) as the original handle is more elegant; but my last catalogue was 1998 and the handles were £7.
Edit: Not listed in their Web catalogue, will have to jury-rig something. The broken part looks very poor quality with eject marks at the weakest point and is older than the other one (which would make a very good pattern for printing).

Elan door pull (ed) 189_8136.JPG and
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:17 pm

Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:35 pm

Mazzini wrote:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUSTIN-A40-SOMERSET-LUCAS-CHROME-INTERIOR-DOOR-PULL-HANDLES-x-2-650306/352021561403?epid=1525098513&hash=item51f61ec03b:g:yeUAAOSwH~Rc2mXY

These look the same.

And they look like the good parts of mine; I guess for a pair that's not too bad a price (£30 with p&p).

Thanks, Rob, I'll order.
Meg

________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:20 am

Hi Mazzini,

Thats the part I've used in past for S1 and S2 restorations.

V
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: persiflage » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:23 am

In answer to the thread question ....
I removed the starter motor and in doing so managed to drop the washer from the upper bolt. As we all know or will come to know, nothing dropped while working around the Elan engine will end up on the floor and this washer has fallen into the narrow gap between the chassis and body below the starter.
I can see it with my inspection camera and touch it with a very narrow flexible strip of steel but it's sitting upright with no possibility of hooking or grabbing it.
Having spent nearly four hours under the car trying to retrieve the washer, nothing else got done :(
I'll have one more go with a bit of Bluetack attached to my steel, after that it's history.
persiflage
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:33 pm

Mazzini wrote:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUSTIN-A40-SOMERSET-LUCAS-CHROME-INTERIOR-DOOR-PULL-HANDLES-x-2-650306/352021561403?epid=1525098513&hash=item51f61ec03b:g:yeUAAOSwH~Rc2mXY

These look the same.

They are bulkier and more rounded in cross section.
As said, the originals are more elegant.
If anyone has any originals they don't want , please PM me!
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:45 am

More of a what didn't I do.....

I was sorting my desk out yesterday and came across these:

IMG_0229.JPG and
Eeeek

Which having replaced the handbrake pads and re-bled the brakes (as I had to take a caliper off to free off one pad which some PO had hammered into position....) made me think - had I taken off the springs, and if if so had I replaced them?
Luckily the original springs were still in place when I checked.....

Now I've got to work out why I ordered the new ones!
Matthew Vale - Classic Motoring Author
1968 Plus 2 - Somewhat cosmetically and mechanically modified
1969 Plus 2S - Currently undergoing nut and bolt restoration
Visit me on matthewvale.com
Matt Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: delgado » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:39 am

I changed the oil and installed a new clutch slave cylinder in. Also found a shipment company to ship it safely to Europe. I'm gonna buy a home in Germany soon and looking to drive my Lotus there.
delgado
New-tral

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:35 pm

Re the lost washer - if its not stainless then a magnet in a stick may be the solution.
Matt Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:19 pm

Straight-cut gearbox drained... the box and it's oil has done only 20 miles, according to the previous owner. It then stood for ten years, the oil looked brand new. Loosened the gear-box mounting bolts- why were they all an inch too long and... not much more than finger tight? Why was the speedo drive only finger-tight? One of the problems with taking over a "project car" is you cannot trust anything to have been done properly!
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:48 pm

After sorting the horn, I fitted the neat hazard warning light system kit from 4sight visionary lighting. It uses a neat round switch which I fitted into the hole in the trim where the later ignition switch fits, just under the steering wheel.

small IMG_8517.jpg and

The switch lights up when the ignition is on then flashes when in operation - very neat!

And just to show its not like my heated rear window switch which just illuminates the warning light and nothing else - heres a couple of shots with them in action!

small flash2.jpg and

small flash IMG_3910.jpg and

The car does scrub up well, shame I can'ty really take her out at the moment.
Matt Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:48 pm

delgado wrote:I changed the oil and installed a new clutch slave cylinder in. Also found a shipment company to ship it safely to Europe. I'm gonna buy a home in Germany soon and looking to drive my Lotus there.

Welcome Delgado, but are you in the right forum? No offence, but you seem to have a M100 Elan which isn't covered by this site, only the 1960-70 models. But perhaps you have one of those too?

KInd regards.
Meg

Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: