Lotus Elan

What did you do to your Lotus today...

PostPost by: The Veg » Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:21 am

Thanks Berni!

Correct, no spacers. The tyres are the correct 165/80 (although aodern design), and as near as I can tell the offset is the same as the original. But the centre and spokes being mostly closer to the plane of the outer rim than most of the centres of the originao.steel wheels gives the illusion of a more 'muscular' look.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
User avatar
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2370
Joined: 16 Nov 2015
Location: Atlanta 'burbs (southeast USA)

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:19 pm

Loaded the boot with the dismantled and wrapped Engine Stand I'd borrowed from Baggy2 and drove to his country cottage some 20 miles away. Missed a turning and was redirected through a ford and on the way out the car spluttered and stalled, unknown, blocking the path of a country bus behind me! The lady driver helped me push clear but there was hardly any water on the electrics though the HT lead seemed loose in the coil and we were soon running again. Had a good chat with Baggy and pleasant return with some sun, completing 1000 miles since my rebuild without engine problems (after sorting a clutch fluid leakage).

Had only taken one bite of lunch when a knock on the door announced not a parcel delivery but a man with a Marcos 1800! He's a taxi driver who had carried me when a bus failed to turn up. He's been promising to bring it round for years and is only in the next village. Having seen a Marcos at the Earls Court exhibition in 1965, aged 13, and set his heart on one he bought his in 1976 and It turned out to be the 1965 show car! The Marcos works refurbished it very nicely some years ago (for half the price that St Wilkins had asked) and it is immaculate. It was fairly lively but was not as comfortable as an Elan and crashed the exhaust frequently (Marcos weld skids onto the silencer to protect it)! As a visual impact it rates 11 and the 3 litre version must be phenomenal!

IMG_9761 Alan with Marcos.JPG and
IMG_9765.JPG and
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
User avatar
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1284
Joined: 03 Oct 2012
Location: Barnham, W Sussex, UK

PostPost by: Baggy2 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:07 pm

Loaded the boot with the dismantled and wrapped Engine Stand I'd borrowed from Baggy2 and drove to his country cottage some 20 miles away

Thanks Meg for returning the engine stand in such pristine condition - I'm sure its better than when I lent it to you.
Glad your return journey was better than out-going . Your S1.5 looked and sounded great as you drove off.
Cheers
Baggy
Baggy2
Third Gear
Third Gear
 
Posts: 273
Joined: 05 Feb 2010
Location: South East England

PostPost by: Barney » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:20 pm

I started to remove instruments from the dash starting from the driver's side prior to accessing the heater and making an assessment of water damage to the dashboard bottom.

The thumbwheels of the tachometer were held by rust on the studs. Trying to remove the first one sheared the stud off at mid-length, the second one was less rusty and therefore a little easier, but still bent the stud a little.
An inspection of the tacho shows previous damage repaired by a blob of a hard glue-type blob on the sensor and not having a coil.
Tomorrow Fuel gauge, bonnet releases and remaining switchgear. Choke is not there and never has been.
Elan S2 DHC (26-4399),
Barney
Third Gear
Third Gear
 
Posts: 246
Joined: 13 Aug 2007
Location: North Lincolnshire, UK

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:53 am

Swapped from 38mm chokes to 36mm chokes in my Elan in prepration for my next race meeting. The 38mm chokes gave about 7+ top end HP on the dyno at 7000 to 8000 rpm but on the track they lost torque in the 4000 rpm range. Even with a close ratio box it was hard to avoid bogging down in slower corners so after a few covid interrupted years I decide to go back to 36mm chokes. When I dynoed my current engine setup I did it with both 36 and 38mm chokes so I had a complete dynoed set of jets and chokes so swapping them in was easy.

I went a got myself a 1/4 drive 1/2 AF socket (my 1/4 inch drive sockets only went to 3/8) as advised recently for accessing the bottom carb mounting bolts. For 40+ years I have used a cut off open ended spanner to do that and the 1/4 inch drive socket fits and is much easier and quicker than funbling under the carbs by feel. Should have done it years ago but you are never to old to learn a new trick.

cheers
Rohan
User avatar
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 8930
Joined: 22 Sep 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia

PostPost by: alan.barker » Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:37 am

Yep,
1/4" drive and 1/2" AF or 13mm socket Carbs off in 10 minutes. Easier on the old back too, not getting younger mon ami.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 3789
Joined: 06 Dec 2008
Location: BRITTANY FRANCE

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:06 am

Hi Alan
My back is needing any new trick I can find to ease it when working on my Elan :lol:
I constantly adjust my MaxJax to keep the car at the perfect working height for the job on hand

cheers
Rohan
User avatar
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 8930
Joined: 22 Sep 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia

PostPost by: lotusfan » Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:32 pm

rgh0 wrote:
I went a got myself a 1/4 drive 1/2 AF socket

cheers
Rohan


A very useful addition is a 1/4 square drive flexible extension shaft. Then you really will wonder how you managed without it!!
Mike
72 Sprint DHC
User avatar
lotusfan
Third Gear
Third Gear
 
Posts: 381
Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Location: S Bucks, UK

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:46 pm

rgh0 wrote:Hi Alan
My back is needing any new trick I can find to ease it when working on my Elan :lol:
I constantly adjust my MaxJax to keep the car at the perfect working height for the job on hand

cheers
Rohan

F2284D95-8F76-4058-BA6D-C10CD223C1FB.jpeg and
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1365
Joined: 11 Jul 2004
Location: Kent

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:25 pm

lotusfan wrote:
rgh0 wrote:
I went a got myself a 1/4 drive 1/2 AF socket

cheers
Rohan


A very useful addition is a 1/4 square drive flexible extension shaft. Then you really will wonder how you managed without it!!



Thanks for the advice. I have a 1/4 drive universal joint but a flex shaft will be even better. I always enjoy an excuse for a trip to my local tool shop :)
User avatar
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 8930
Joined: 22 Sep 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia

PostPost by: 661 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:21 pm

rgh0 wrote:Swapped from 38mm chokes to 36mm chokes in my Elan in prepration for my next race meeting. The 38mm chokes gave about 7+ top end HP on the dyno at 7000 to 8000 rpm but on the track they lost torque in the 4000 rpm range. Even with a close ratio box it was hard to avoid bogging down in slower corners so after a few covid interrupted years I decide to go back to 36mm chokes. When I dynoed my current engine setup I did it with both 36 and 38mm chokes so I had a complete dynoed set of jets and chokes so swapping them in was easy.

I went a got myself a 1/4 drive 1/2 AF socket (my 1/4 inch drive sockets only went to 3/8) as advised recently for accessing the bottom carb mounting bolts. For 40+ years I have used a cut off open ended spanner to do that and the 1/4 inch drive socket fits and is much easier and quicker than funbling under the carbs by feel. Should have done it years ago but you are never to old to learn a new trick.

cheers
Rohan

I moved down to 37mm and on the dyno the power does come in slightly lower. ( and no loss of power :D ) Sadly the dyno was done with the old TTR exhaust and the engine in the car uses the new TTR slip joint exhaust ( brilliant for getting out with the engine still in situ) narrower primaries, more equal length primaries and the longer secondaries. All of which will probably help torque a bit more.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
User avatar
661
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1297
Joined: 29 Mar 2012
Location: East Sussex

PostPost by: TBG » Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:40 pm

I have suffered greatly for being an idle sod. Using the Elan all year round has its drawbacks and one of them is driving when there is salt on the roads.Anyway I ignored the build up for far too long and today have had to take all the wheels off - remove the trims and spinners and spend hours cleaning them on the kitchen worktop. Popular? Nah! D

Oh and wash off the rest of the car.........................
TBG
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 710
Joined: 21 Apr 2020
Location: Somerset, England

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:49 pm

TBG wrote:I have suffered greatly for being an idle sod. Using the Elan all year round has its drawbacks and one of them is driving when there is salt on the roads.Anyway I ignored the build up for far too long and today have had to take all the wheels off - remove the trims and spinners and spend hours cleaning them on the kitchen worktop. Popular? Nah! D

Oh and wash off the rest of the car.........................


ouch, I park over a sprinkler for fun salt removal
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
User avatar
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2030
Joined: 25 Sep 2010
Location: RACECAR spelled backward, is——RACECAR! Kayak, Kayak. The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

PostPost by: Barney » Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:03 pm

h20hamelan wrote: I park over a sprinkler for fun salt removal


But what do you do about the car? :lol:
Elan S2 DHC (26-4399),
Barney
Third Gear
Third Gear
 
Posts: 246
Joined: 13 Aug 2007
Location: North Lincolnshire, UK

PostPost by: vstibbard » Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:30 am

Drove my 12 year old son to school in our S2 Super 7 which I bought the day he was born, and he loves it and now looks after.
3E6BD4B9-D4E7-45D8-9A99-425176CFF758.jpeg and

Smiles all round
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 902
Joined: 22 Jul 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
PreviousNext

Total Online:

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests