Magazine longshot

PostPost by: Barney » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:59 pm

I am trying to identify a particular magazine, I think from around 1981, that had a S2 Elan driving along a road with a blurred woodland backdrop on the front cover. I think the car belonged to somebody who had a large and renowned car collection and the article inside didn't have much detail of the Lotus but was about some of his other cars. I believe the registration number was LMY 40C.

I recall buying the magazine when travelling out of the country but I left it in the lounge at the airport or possibly on the plane. I recall all this because the registration number was close to my cars.

The magazine was probably either Classic Car, Thoroughbred & Classic Cars or Classic and Sportscar as these are the ones that were sold at the airport in the day.

I only want to identify the magazine to then look out for it online

I realise it's a bit of a longshot but this forum is an amazing resource.
Elan S2 DHC (26-4399),
Barney
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: lotusfan » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:58 pm

Barney

There is a Frenchman who posts on here - Old English White. I think he collected pictures of Elans featured on magazine front covers and formed them into a montage.

I may have got this all wrong but worth a search and maybe you might find what you seek.
Mike
72 Sprint DHC
lotusfan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:11 pm

Here's the file. Might have to blow it up a bit.
Attachments
772333elanontop13.jpg and
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Barney » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:58 pm

Greg,

Thanks for that, as I said the forum and in particular the membership is great!

If I remember correctly (and I can't even remember my girlfriends name from those days), I think the mag was this one. Not the magazines mentioned but Sporting Cars.

This has given me a lead. Thanks.
possible-mag.jpg
Its possible its this one!
possible-mag.jpg (27.12 KiB) Viewed 802 times
Elan S2 DHC (26-4399),
Barney
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Barney » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:09 pm

Found a better picture of it but I'm afraid it's not the edition I wanted.
good-close-up.jpg and
Sadly not the one.
Elan S2 DHC (26-4399),
Barney
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:31 am

I've kept most months of Sporting cars, Classic and Thoroughbred and the other major Classic cars mags from 80 on.... definitely of it had Lotus lean, Lotus in General and a few other marques of interest to me.

They're boxed up, so not easily rummaged through, if you get stuck I'm happy to look for it but it will take time as I've other priorities new borne, work and 26R rebuild.

V
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Barney » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:51 am

vstibbard wrote:I've kept most months of Sporting cars, Classic and Thoroughbred and the other major Classic cars mags from 80 on.... definitely of it had Lotus lean, Lotus in General and a few other marques of interest to me.

They're boxed up, so not easily rummaged through, if you get stuck I'm happy to look for it but it will take time as I've other priorities new borne, work and 26R rebuild.

V,
Thanks for that very kind offer. Only when you are looking at them again, I've waited 35+ years . . . . so there is definately no rush! When you do, look out for those nasty Aussie spiders in the loft or wherever you have them in storage! :lol:
Elan S2 DHC (26-4399),
Barney
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:39 am

Thanks Barney,

I've a big shed which is sprayed annually to stop the pesky red backs!!!

I'll run through stack of mag's each time I had up there, I'll scan and pop them up for you, or if easier drop em your email and I'll scan them to dropbox which I'll share.

Regards

V
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Barney » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:36 pm

Thanks V

After a little bit more research I now suspect that the magazine was Classic & Sportscar and was a May edition (Year unknown). I also suspect the article was about Lord Brocket's private collection (before his infamous insurance fraud case). The point was despite his fine collection the Elan was his favourite to drive.
I'll PM you my email address
Elan S2 DHC (26-4399),
Barney
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: