New mot rule

PostPost by: JonB » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:23 am

billwill wrote:How does this SORN & 'retax' work? Can it be done online? Or do you have to go to a Post Office?

Does the magic number on the retax notification that I received enable me to 'have another go' & do a SORN & retax again?

My MOT runs out in a few days time, but due to dates I had to 'retax' last month and was not offered the MOT exemption option on-line.

Yes, online.

If you do not have the tax reminder or you have already used it you can use the document reference number printed on the V5C (logbook).

My experience was the same as yours - I SORNed and retaxed it but wasn't asked about MOT exemption due to the car still having a MOT at the time; so I SORNed again, waited for the MOT to expire, then retaxed (with the V5C document reference number) and it offered the option to declare MOT exemption.

@greg40green: Generally I agree with you regarding responsibility etc but for my part I am mechanically competent and have the tools and knowledge to check these things myself. Moreover, as I have previously said, I have seen cars with MOTs that were not roadworthy, my own included (when I bought it it had 7 months' MOT yet on inspecting the suspension I found rusted ball joints, knackered trunnions, marshmellow bushes, free play in the steering column and a knackered rear wheel bearing - after I'd driven it 100 miles to get it home). So my view is that an MOT is just a bit of paper which may or may not reflect the condition of the car. It's a flawed test anyway as much of it appears to be down to the discretion of the tester - my car is a case in point as it really should have failed its last test. As a result of the work I've done to the suspension I would say it is safer now than it has been in the last 10 years.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:50 am

Re tested mine - ?42.50 for a second pair of eyes (always a good idea in my view) and complete avoidance of doubt.

I built my car from scratch but would not be so presumptious to think that I am infallible.

The tester picked up one or two issues including a failed brake switch (I should have checked). He likes old cars as well so we had a good natter during the test.

Money well spent IMHO
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:40 am

So when I take my now MOT exempt car along for a "second pair of eyes" checkover under the auspices of the MOT system where does that leave me when it fails? Can I just say 'well, that was interesting and I'll get the problems fixed but as it's MOT exempt I'll just be on my way' or is a fail a fail and if it's not both repaired and retested it'll be on the system as not fit for the public roads. What shows up when the (rare) police car runs the number plate through their ANPR as they're following me. Does exempt trump fail?
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:04 pm

....you elect whether to opt in or out of the system.

I elected to stay in so if it fails, it fails as per normal business.

If you opt out and have a voluntary test and it fails then god knows which I guess is one of the reasons I decided to stay in as there's no ambiguity (and that includes your insurers)
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:18 pm

My local friendly mot station said this whe i asked same question.

If i have it mot'd then it goes on the "system"
If it fails its annotated in said system.
Depending on fail type you can drive away and fix but most fails will be of the dangerous category.
This means that even if you have a current mot, your illegal to drive on public roads and could be fined ?2500 pounds.

You will still be on the system as a fail until its re mot'd. The fail will remain as vehicle history.

If you choose not to have an mot and are latter found driving a dangerous vehicle then you will also be fined ?2500 and prosecuted.

If your driving without an mot it ?1000 fine.

(Written at mot station)
Kick the tyres and light them fires...!!!!!!!
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:23 pm

Just ask for a Pre-MOT test.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:47 am

pauljones wrote:This means that even if you have a current mot, your illegal to drive on public roads and could be fined ?2500 pounds.
(snip)
If you choose not to have an mot and are latter found driving a dangerous vehicle then you will also be fined ?2500 and prosecuted.

If your driving without an mot it ?1000 fine.

My point exactly. Having MOT does not save you from the ?2500 fine / points from driving a dangerous vehicle, if indeed your car is "dangerous"..

Grizzly wrote:Just ask for a Pre-MOT test.

That is the best compromise, I think, and one which I will look into.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:11 am

....but do you really think plod is going to stop and subject a classic car to a roadworthiness test when they have enough on their hands policing twitter full time and looking out for stabby types in cities?

and in the unlikely event that they, or VOSA, were really going to police the tiny minority of old vehicles driven by beardy old blokes in the summer months where MOT exemption is available would they select the ones of the database which which were in the MOT system or those which are out of it? I think I can guess that scenario.

and would you rather pay for a pre MOT inspection or pay the same amount to have a proper MOT? I know which I would prefer.

....perspective time me thinks.
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:53 am

jono wrote:and would you rather pay for a pre MOT inspection or pay the same amount to have a proper MOT? I know which I would prefer.

I suppose it's the difference between being told 'it's fine but your washer bottle is empty (or other trivial fault of your choice)' and 'its failed because your washer bottle is empty. Our next retest slot is a week on Wednesday. Don't drive it before then or it's a ?1000 fine'. 'But it's MOT exempt'. 'Not now it isn't.'

The pre MOT inspection sounds like a best of both worlds option but there are few garages round here promoting them. Almost everyone seems to be doing the test - fail - fix - retest scheme with only price differences / special offers to distinguish them. I'm not surprised really as it must be a bit of a nightmare for the garage's reputation if a customer's car passes the (paid for) pre check only to then fail the real thing.

Maybe the 'virtual' MOT checkover represents a business opportunity for smaller classic car workshops; something they could offer owners who want second pair of eyes security without the formality of the MOT. At least they're likely to have some familiarity with what they're looking at.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:21 pm

Interesting,...

I just tried to follow JonB's notes above to SORN & then retax (for ?0.00) after MOT had expired and DVLA site simply offered up the option to declare MOT exempt, without me having to SORN first. It simply 'retaxed' my 67 S3 coupe, with the same start data 1st June 2018 that I had already done before on 11/5/18 before its MOT expired on 21/6/18.

So I guess that mine is now MOT exempt, though I can't see how to verify this online.

I shall probably be using the "please do a PRE-MOT test for me" as a low cost independent check.

I fact I mentioned something similar way back when this MOT exemption stuff was first mentioned. I said something like Garages would not be required to do an MOT, but might choose to do a similar independent test for a possibly different fee.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:22 pm

billwill wrote:So I guess that mine is now MOT exempt, though I can't see how to verify this online.

Hi Bill

It takes 5 days to register the change. When I went back to check, the DVLA enquiry service said (in the MOT status box) "No results returned", which is bad because although correct, strictly speaking, it doesn't say the car is exempt.

A software upgrade is needed methinks!
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:24 pm

My car has been off the road since 1985 and hence is not SORN?d as if a car was already off the road when SORN came in it did not have to be declared as SORN?d. I phoned a nice lady at the DVLA this week and asked what I needed to do to get the car taxed, after giving her the registration number and a couple of other questions, she told me to go to the post office with my old type log book from 1986 and fill in form V62 and enter ?Historic? as the vehicle class. This I duly did and the person at the post office said do you want to tax it while you are here, so I said yes as it costs nothing. She went through the computer filling in the details and then said you need an MOT. I reminded her that I?d just declared it a historic vehicle so didn?t need one, at that stage her manager joined in and produced a form for me to sign saying it was MOT exempt and explaining that the system software hasn?t yet been updated to include the latest MOT changes. Anyway my car is now taxed as it was already insured mainly for theft and damage reasons. Good job it didn?t need to pass an MOT as it has a few bits missing at present! See photo!
As for giving the car an MOT, I?ll be taking it to my local garage for an engineers inspection just to make sure I?ve not missed anything vital during my rebuild, I guess it?ll be much like the pre-MOT others have mentioned.
Attachments
6e858198-f6c2-48a1-9063-cf614f4f4012.jpeg and
Few bits still missing!
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:08 am

Gosh BBB that is a really nice colour.. :)
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:48 am

Thanks Jon, it?s actually a Ferrari colour.
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:52 am

BBB.

100% great choice in colour. That looks sweet and better than any F car.
Kick the tyres and light them fires...!!!!!!!
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: