Canada here I come...

PostPost by: GHill » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:29 am

Hey All

So landed a new role in Toronto Canada and I want to take my Plus 2 (currently live in the UK), so questions for the forum...

1. Is Toronto Lotus friendly - are there Lotus/classic car meets and lotus forum members who live in Toronto?
2. Anyone had experience of bringing a Lotus into the country? Would be great to get benefit of real experience.

Have considered storing it in the UK but I consider it cost neutral especially if you consider that the car won't be used - I fully intend on using it in Canada when I can which surely is better than not at all languishing in a lock up on the UK.

Cheers
G
To get something you've never had, you need to do something you've never done!
GHill
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Certified Lotus » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:40 am

There is a great Lotus club in Canada. And they produce one of the nicest quarterly club digital brochures I have ever seen. Http://Lotusclubcanada.ca MICHAEL Eddenden is the editor, great guy. Contact him.
Glen
05 Elise - Back where I started
65 Elan S2 - 26/4055
72 Europa - 74/2358R
69 Elan S4 - 45/7941
64 Elan S1 - 26/0379
12 Colin 30 - Lotus Racing Kart
07 Exige S - Wicked Road/Track Car
07 Exige S - Fast Road/Track Car
06 Elise - Track pack
Certified Lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Esprit2 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:37 pm

From Toronto, you're only a two hour drive away from points of entry to the USA at Niagara Falls and Buffalo, New York. And you're 5 hours from Cleveland, Ohio where the 2018 LOG will be held in August (Lotus Ltd's annual Lotus Owners Gathering... LOG). It's the largest annual Lotus-specific car event in North America, so come meet a few Can-Am Lotus owners.

Bring the car over with you...

Regards,
Tim Engel
... a miniscule 14 hour drive away, drop in anytime.
Esprit2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: donselan » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:58 pm

Welcome to Canada.

Do you have a sense of where you will be living in Toronto? There are plenty of British car clubs including the very active Lotus car club that was referenced in another email. In the city I think most are marque specific, ie. Triumph, MG. In the outskirts there are non-marque specific clubs.

I live outside Toronto in a village called Erin. This is northwest of the city. We have a very active British car club centred in Orangeville. We have several Lotus cars in the club. Here is our website. https://www.headwatersbritishcarclub.org/

A fantastic event that occurs every September is the British car day hosted by the Toronto triumph club, http://www.torontotriumph.com/BCD/ This event attracts over one thousand British cars and motorcycles including a nice selection of Lotus cars from Ontario and New York state.

I look forward to meeting you.

Cheers,
Don
Don Fysh
S3 Elan FHC 36/5607
S3 Elan DHC 45/6646
donselan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: donselan » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:19 pm

I have imported a Lotus into Canada several years ago and it was not onerous. Since your Lotus is greater than 15 years old it is exempt from many requirements so that makes it a lot easier.

Concerning importing a vehicle into Canada here is the appropriate link.
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehiclesaf ... ex-446.htm

Once in Canada you will have to register it in the province that you will live in. Here is the link for Ontario.
https://www.ontario.ca/faq/what-do-i-ne ... le-ontario

You will be required to have a vehicle inspection to confirm vehicle safety. This may be similar to your MOT but is required once only on importation.

Cheers,
Don
Don Fysh
S3 Elan FHC 36/5607
S3 Elan DHC 45/6646
donselan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: GHill » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:20 am

Cheers All

Lots for me to research thanks for the advice so far, great links Dom/Glen - I have already contacted a few of those referenced.

I will likely be located within 30 min drive of bay street.

Am committed to taking the car with me so am looking forward to meeting as many people as possible.

Cheers All, much appreciated.

Regards
G

PS Tim - 14 hour drive - when I bought the car it was in Prague (Czech Republic) and I drove it back to the UK so I have form ;-)
To get something you've never had, you need to do something you've never done!
GHill
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Esprit2 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:09 pm

GHill wrote:PS Tim - 14 hour drive - when I bought the car it was in Prague (Czech Republic) and I drove it back to the UK so I have form ;-)
Good. I'm glad it gets driven.

Regards,
Tim Engel
Esprit2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jk952 » Tue May 01, 2018 9:30 pm

Welcome on your upcoming move to Toronto. As noted by others lots of British Car clubs (several not make specific) in southern Ontario, Mosport racetrack only an hour or so from Toronto. If you haven?t spent much free time here you will be impressed with the many lakes not far north of Toronto, and rural roads once out of the GTA (Greater Toronto Area).
While the lifestyle may be a bit different, once adjusted, almost everyone from the UK or Europe do not move back once in North America.
Consider selling your Lotus in the UK and then buying a Lotus here, they are worth a lot more in the UK!
Jack
jk952
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: knockoffnut » Sat May 05, 2018 11:49 am

Hi GHill, Welcome to Canada. I have brought a few cars in to Ontario, and it is generally painless for an older (pre-1972) car, though you should have copies of the "rules" on you as the border officials often don't know them. For example a car over 25 years old is duty free, but they often don't know that at the border. If they do charge you duty there is a form allowing you to claim it back. You will pay federal sales tax (7%) at the border, and the provincial sale tax (8%) at the Service Ontario registration office (this is the only situation in which it is not paid together as HST) . You will need to have the car safety certified by a licensed garage, and then appraised by an independent appraiser (for tax value) before it can be taxed and plated (at Service Ontario). Mike Moore in Petersburg is an excellent and reasonable classic car appraiser (but an hour west of Toronto). Depending on how the car will arrive, the car must be spotlessly clean before entry at the border or they will charge you ($250) to wash it (really). Driving across from the US is easy if the right process is followed. If it is coming by container it is a complex process with many extra charges. It will likely land in Montreal, be moved (fee) opened (fee), inspected (fee), shipped by train to "Port of Toronto" which is a rail yard (fee) cleared customs (fee), transferred to a carrier of the inspector's choice who moves it to a warehouse (fee) and stores it daily (fees). Expect about $700-1200 in fees, on top of whatever the shipping company quotes (Maybe $7K). I would be happy to provide detailed info to ease the move.

Jack is correct, Elans cost 30% less here than in the UK (plus $8,000 shipping), so selling there and buying here is a valid option. This is due to the shipping cost plus the high tax rate going into the UK and Europe

Don, I am in Waterloo and pass through Erin often. Maybe we can connect?
cheers,
Andrew
1963 Unicorn
1964 S1
1965 S2
1967 S3 SE DHC
Frankentwincam 26R
Seven S2 A
Seven S2 F
knockoffnut
Third Gear
Third Gear